Time Enough for Love by Robert A. Heinlein

Time Enough for Love (1973)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Series: Lazarus Long (2), World As Myth (1)

4,037None1,257 (3.92)79
20th century (16) classic (15) classic science fiction (10) ebook (16) fantasy (26) fiction (342) future history (47) Heinlein (63) Hugo Nominee (13) immortality (33) Lazarus Long (79) longevity (15) mmpb (19) Nebula nominee (11) novel (46) own (19) owned (12) paperback (45) pb (12) polyamory (16) read (53) science fiction (949) series (10) sexuality (14) sf (175) sff (66) speculative fiction (24) time travel (61) to-read (35) unread (21)
    To Sail Beyond the Sunset by Robert A. Heinlein (sfcat)
    sfcat: These two books are my all time favorites. Both are fictional biographies from Heinlein's Lazarus Long series and will make readers laugh gasp and cry. Fascinating stories of a slightly alternate universe. No question, if a nuclear attack was imminent, I'd sit down and re-read the chapter of Dora's Story.… (more)
    Dancing with Eternity by John Patrick Lowrie (viking2917)
    viking2917: One of the earliest and best explorations of immortality and it's impact on humans

Yuck! ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Fascinating book, but I think Heinlein was just a wee bit obsessed with sex. ( )
  bradgers | Feb 6, 2014 |
I’ve been meaning to write on a Heinlein book for a while, and I’m still delaying on my favorite one, but I think it is time for my favorite author to get some attention. Yes, I’ll admit it: I’m a Heinlein junkie. This is not, however, the book that I would recommend reading for your first Heinlein (Cat Who Walks Through Walls would be better for that). If you’ve read some Heinlein already, though, this is a good book to continue with.

Title: Time Enough for Love
Author: Robert A. Heinlein
Pages: 589 (paperback)
Premise: Lazarus Long has lived a very crazy and very long life, and one of his ancestors (yes, he’s that old) asks him to record his autobiography, and this is it.
Setting: Everywhere from the rural US in the early 20th century to space age adventures among the stars. It is also an alternate timeline, so some of their history isn’t the same as ours.
Strengths:
Really really awesome characters (I love you Dora!)
Crazy plots, I have no idea how the man thought of these things
Heinlein has his own fairly unique ideas about time travel and really demonstrates that, and the purpose behind the Howard Foundation in this book
This book is a great family reunion of Heinlein characters, so if you’ve read any other of his books, they’ll probably show up or be referenced in this book
It is one of those books that as I page through it to remember what the write I just want to read it all over again
Weaknesses:
The start is a bit slow, but hang in there!
I don’t know what kind of complex Heinlein had, but wow there is a lot of incest in his books (all generally in very not abusive contexts though)
On that note, there is just a lot of sex in general, so be warned
Because it is an autobiography as it is being written, all of the subplots end up making the book feel a bit jumpy

Summary: This is not an easy airplane read, but it really is a satisfying book if you like Heinlein. There is a lot of sex, incest and weird reinterpretations of marriage, but all of this is generally accompanied by so much love and honor between the characters. There are parts of this book that made me cry, and parts that made me tremendously happy. If you are okay with some fairly liberal views on a lot of societal norms, then this is really an excellent book. ( )
  anyaejo | Jan 7, 2014 |
I absolutely HATE abandoning a book once I've started, but when Heinlein trotted out the smarmy talking computers again I knew that I was in trouble. Drove me nuts in The Number of the Beast and life is too short to put up with it again. A real shame since I enjoyed The Past Through Tomorrow a great deal and wanted to like this as well. Oh well, at least I'll always have his juveniles to enjoy. ( )
  5hrdrive | Jul 15, 2013 |
Heinlein's greatest work, without a doubt. A masterpiece, and a world I wish I lived in.

It gets 4 stars instead of 5 simply because I thought there was some filler and unnecessary cruft. The amazing bits (and the overall story/idea) are lovely, there are just some bits that I found dull. And there are a few minor points of philosophy on which I have to disagree with RAH.

Addendum: A few hours after writing this, I managed to put my finger on something elusive about this book. I am definitely convinced it's an important book, but I'm not particularly inclined to keep it on my bookshelf along with others that I want to reread again and again. This confused me, until I realized why: this book is one of those that anyone who wants to understand me better would be well-served to read*. But the philosophy and moralism expressed in it is very familiar to me, being very close to my own; I didn't really learn anything new from it.

* Despite the fact that it was [book:Stranger in a Strange Land] that I read during my teenage years, when I was still developing and discovering my own ideas about life and love. I think Heinlein says the same thing, better, here. ( )
  wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
History has the relation to truth that theology has to religion-i.e., none to speak of. --L.L.
For Bill and Lucy
As the door of the suite dilated, the man seated staring glumly out the window looked around.
People who go broke in a big way never miss any meals. It is the poor jerk who is shy a half slug who must tighten his belt.
A motion to adjourn is always in order.
History has the relation to truth that theology has to religion—i.e., none to speak of.
Early rising may not be a vice ... but it is certainly no virtue. The old saw about the early bird just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed.

The Lives of the Senior Member of the Howard Families (Woodrow Wilson Smith; Ernest Gibbons; Captain Aaron Sheffield; Lazarus Long; "Happy" Daze; His Serenity Seraphin the Younger, Supreme High Priest of the One God in All His Aspects and Arbiter Below and Above; Proscribe Prisoner No. 83M2742; Mr.Justice Lenox; Corporal Ted Bronson; Dr. Lafe Hubert; and others), Oldest Member of the Human Race.
This Account is based principally on the Senior's Own Words as recorded at many times and places and especially at the Howeard REjuvenation clinic and at the Executive Palace in New Rome on Seconudus in Year 2053 After the Great Diaspora (Gregorian Year 4272 of Old Home Terra) - and supplemented by letters and by eyewitness accounts, the whole then arranged, collated, condensed, and (where possible) reconciled with official records and contemporary histories, as directed by Howard Foundation Trustees and executed by the Howard Archivist Emeritus.
the result is of unique historical importance despite the Archivist's decision to leave in blatant falsehoods, self-serving allegations, and many amoral anecdotes not suitable for young persons.
---------------
Capstone of the Future History, climaxing the adventures of the Methuselahs.

Follows Woodrow Wilson Smith's odyssey through time as he manipulates situations to suit his purposes and extend his youth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible