dismiss

Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin

Go Tell It on the Mountain (1953)

by James Baldwin

Describes a day in the life of several members of a Harlem fundamentalist church. The saga of three generations of people is related through flashbacks.

1950s (19)
My TBR (122)

English (74)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (77)
Rated: B
James Baldwin's classic. Story reveals the church from the perspective of Harlem black youth -- part inspirational and a sense of community contrasted with part repressive and morally hypocritical. ( )
  jmcdbooks | May 24, 2020 |
I wish I had something intelligent to say about this book, but all I can do is call it the best thing I've read all year and find other, lesser authors to complain about. This is as good as it gets. ( )
  bgramman | May 9, 2020 |
I really liked the writing in this book and frequently trying to figure out who was the narrator. I also thought the descriptions, especially of hopeless, inner feelings was empathically represented. I so wish we could say this book is not relevant today, but of course it is very relevant. ( )
  suesbooks | May 2, 2020 |
I don't have the time to do a proper review for this right now, but I did enjoy it. Just not as much as I had hoped.

I look forward to reading more of Baldwin's work in the future!

*Thanks to my local library for the free audio download. Libraries RULE!* ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |

James Baldwinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cosgrave, John O'HaraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Hagan, AndrewIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.
For my father and mother
Everyone had always said that John would be a preacher when he grew up, just like his father.
First edition was in 1953. Corgi editions show copyright date as 1954. The US Catalog of copyright entries for Jan-June 1953 details that application for copyright stated that 'the section "Exodus" appeared in the Aug. 1952 issue of American mercury, and "Roy's wound" in New world writing, 1952'.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,494,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible