The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

The Undomestic Goddess (2005)

by Sophie Kinsella

Recently added bye-zReader, Miyuneko, CBMomma, private library, arena55, lisan., SofiG

English (130)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (139)
I'm not going to say too much about this... but I read it at the perfect time... about a month after leaving my busy-all-the-time, perma-attached-to-phone, high-stress law job for a wonderful job working for the courts.

This was my first Kinsella, and I will definitely read more! She's funny and at times poignant and flippant and thoughtful and easy. Although of *course* not everything in the book is realistic, including sort of one of the underlying premises (it is a *fiction* after all), but Kinsella does a good job of capturing the essence of both perspectives.

What was most impressive to me was that I noticed that my pace of reading the book matched the pace of what was happening in the book.. i.e., it was a little frenetic at the start and again at the end, but slowed down to enjoy the roses in between. I think this is a mark of a good story teller - the ability to control your reader's flow.

Definitely recommend to ANY female lawyers (and probably a fair few male lawyers as well), or anyone who has a lot of job-related stress or used to have a lot of job-related stress, or anyone who just wants to be entertained. A super quick read, and fun to boot. ( )
  avanders | Apr 27, 2014 |
So funny, and so painful, because it's true.

With bands it's posh to say that this is that group is "victimized by the machine" or something along those lines, although usually this is code for saying that they talk about love, and not *death from the darkness*. It's actually, amazing, I guess, how painful it is how obviously a phrase like this applies more realistically to, say, *lawyers*.....

It's funny because it's a little stab of pain, reading about this girl.... which is why she exasperated the other girl trying to help her in like the first four pages....

Although it helps that the whole spirit of the book is that you can learn not to have a "heart of steel", as I once heard an indie guy insult a lawyer as being. "Scary, brainy power" in Kinsella's words. Unrelenting rationality, the unrelenting mind.

How it's possible not to neglect yourself on their behalf. You don't have to give yourself up to it.

..... If there's one thing that makes Kinsella's stuff less than perfect, it's that it's very worldly, I guess, if that's the right word, and that she (the girl) is always dealing with her (funny little) maladjustments-- " 'I'm an associate at Carter Spink,' I explain. 'I don't *have* my own time.'"-- which take her a long time to deal with, I guess. The way Sophie is you always know there's hope, but I guess her great skill is that she makes it a little bit more okay reading about people who would just be painful to know in real life. But then the thing is it would be so hard to find someone who isn't maladjusted, you know!

So you may as well be perky about it, even if it hurts!

[And it should also be mentioned that Sophie has the real gift for names.]

...............................

Some people might not like Samantha, might even get angry at her, and it's clear that at least for awhile she causes the same hurt in those around her that her family caused in her. But I think that it's better not to hate her, but to simply wish her well and understand what happened to her, and say that it's a shame.

.............................~

Then again, this book is the forbidden fruit. ("She's English!") After all, she's the domestic goddess....

(9/10) ( )
  fearless2012 | Mar 26, 2014 |
Cute, entertaining read ( )
  marichu77 | Feb 2, 2014 |
I really liked this book. It was a funny light read and I really enjoyed it. It is about a big-time London lawyer who makes a mistake at her firm that she can't come back from. She finds herself in the country taking a job as a housekeeper. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
I didn't like this book as much as other Kinsella works, I have to say. It's all perfectly fine, but the high-pressure lifestyle of the heroine just made me feel terribly anxious - memories of my London days, no doubt - and the way she escaped it all was utterly unrealistic and made me even more anxious.

So not really a fun read, though it's all fine and the romantic ending is nice enough. A bit average, all in all. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Nov 22, 2013 |
To Linda Evans
Would you consider yourself stressed?

Workaholic attorney Samantha Sweeting has just done the unthinkable. She’s made a mistake so huge, it’ll wreck any chance of a partnership.

Going into utter meltdown, she walks out of her London office, gets on a train, and ends up in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she’s mistaken for an interviewee and finds herself being offered a job as housekeeper. Her employers have no idea they’ve hired a lawyer–and Samantha has no idea how to work the oven. She can’t sew on a button, bake a potato, or get the #@%# ironing board to open. How she takes a deep breath and begins to cope–and finds love–is a story as delicious as the bread she learns to bake.

But will her old life ever catch up with her? And if it does…will she want it back?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:14 -0400)

Workaholic attorney Samantha Sweeting has just done the unthinkable. She's made a mistake so huge, it'll wreck any chance of a partnership. Going into utter meltdown, she walks out of her London office, gets on a train, and ends up in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she's mistaken for an interviewee and finds herself being offered a job as housekeeper. Her employers have no idea they've hired a lawyer--and Samantha has no idea how to work the oven. She can't sew on a button, bake a potato, or get the ironing board to open. How she takes a deep breath and begins to cope--and finds love--is a story as delicious as the bread she learns to bake.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,034,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible