High Country by Nevada Barr

High Country

by Nevada Barr

The writing has improved a good amount since the other one I read (written more than a decade prior), although there were still a couple glaring typos overlooked by whomever did the editing.

The setting was captivating again. Much like in the other, the mystery didn't grab me that much. ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |

abbeyhar | Nov 8, 2016 |
It's been a long time since I read this book but I have read the entire series, up until the most current book and I really like it. I love how the series is set outdoors in the different parks. If you like C.J. Box, then you'll like Barr too. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Yos. Nat'l Park — Murder/Drugs/Aids

It's fall in the Sierra Mountains, and Anna Pigeon is slinging hash in Yosemite National Park's historic Ahwahnee Hotel. Four young people, all seasonal park employees, have disappeared, and two weeks of work by crack search-and-rescue teams have failed to turn up a single clue; investigators are unsure as to whether the four went AWOL for reasons of their own - or died in the park. Needing an out-of-park ranger to work undercover, Anna is detailed to dining room duty; but after a week of waiting tables, she knows the missing employees are only the first indication of a sickness threatening the park. Her twenty-something roommates give up their party-girl ways and panic; her new restaurant colleagues regard her with suspicion and fear. Yet when Anna's life if threatened and her temporary supervisor turns a deaf ear, she follows the scent of evil, taking a solo hike up a snowy trial to the high country, seeking answers. What awaits her is a nightmare of death and greed - and perhaps her final adventure.
  christinejoseph | Jul 31, 2016 |
I found this book confusing. I think it was because all of the aliases. I also felt -- mainly because Anna spent so much time getting hit/run over/run down that the scenery didn't play as big a role as it normally does in Barr's books. I found myself wanting to know more about Yosemite.
Overall, a good read like all others in the series, but nothing special ( )
  skinglist | Jun 22, 2015 |
For Jeri and Dave, who have provided me with wonderful stories, great adventures and excellent company
Special thanks to Don and Mary Coelho, John Dill, Letty DeLoatch and, most especially, the woman I want to be when I grow up, Ranger Laurel Boyers.
"Would you like baked potato or pommes frites with that?" Anna asked politely.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425199568, Mass Market Paperback)

When four young employees of Yosemite National Park disappear, ranger Anna Pigeon goes undercover as a waitress at the Ahwahnee Lodge to investigate. Living in the staff dorm, she soon discovers there's a connection between at least one of the missing girls, a crashed plane containing a fortune in drugs, and the outsiders who've moved into the tent cabin last occupied by a skilled climber who's also among the disappeared. The first attempt on her life doesn't scare her away, but the second is nearly fatal, and Anna's harrowing escape keeps the tension ratcheted up until the denouement. As usual, Nevada Barr turns in a well-paced thriller featuring a compelling protagonist and a strong cast of minor characters, but it's her brilliantly etched landscapes that bring readers back to this popular series again and again. High Country is Anna's thirteenth outing, and it's one of her strongest. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:32 -0400)

Anna is lodged in Yosemite National Park's historic Ahwahnee Hotel when four employees disappear. Sensing evil, Anna hikes a snowy trail to the high country, only to discover a disturbing reality that may end her adventures once and for all.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,760,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible