The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths

The Crossing Places (2009)

by Elly Griffiths

Other authors: Raymond Turvey

Series: Ruth Galloway (1)

Recently added byprivate library, verveine78, verveine, beckyclayton

English (61)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (66)
A mystery from the POF of a woman archeology professor who gets involved with solving a murder. I liked it at first, interesting archeology stuff and gripping mystery, though I was kind of irritated by a lot of mentions of her thinking about how fat she is. Probably not unrealistic but maybe a little too much.

Now that I've finished I have to say it was a big disappointment. The mystery just was solved a little too easily and with clues that the Mary Sue-ish protagonist discovered (and I guessed the murderer right away, which is a minus); there were some emotional things that didn't feel right (when she realizes someone she trusts may be untrustworthy, the description of her reaction didn't have the resonance I thought it needed; there are all these times when she's in danger but stupidly blabs to lots of people about her whereabouts and other things; something bad happens to a pet (and it was obvious this was coming) but she doesn't do anything to protect another pet. Finally it contained my most hated trope ever and I'm going to say what it is because I think this book is so bad it should be spoiled: people have sex one time and a pregnancy results. At least the man isn't on his deathbed, which is usually how this works.

Apparently this on the Mary Higgins Clark award in 2011 which is astonishing. Bah. ( )
  piemouth | May 16, 2014 |
The Crossing Places, by Elly Griffiths, is the first book in a series featuring DCI Harry Nelson and forensic archeologist/academic Ruth Galloway, set in Norfolk County, England. Nelson is haunted by the unsolved disappearance of a 5-year-old girl 10 years earlier, so when the skeleton of a child is found in the marshes on the coast of Norfolk, he is hopeful that the case can at last be solved, albeit in a tragic way. Ruth Galloway is called in to examine the bones, and she dates them to an Iron Age settlement, not Nelson's missing child at all. Soon, however, a second child goes missing, and the race is on to discover if there is any link to the earlier case or even to the distant past.... I had actually picked up the fourth book in this series to start, but within about 30 pages I realized that I liked the characters and their relationships enough to want to read the series from the beginning, and I was lucky enough to be able to find all three of the earlier books. Ruth is a marvelous heroine - fiercely independent, complex and, thankfully, a far cry from the stereotypical beautiful/competent/brave female-who-does-it-all that is so unrealistic yet common in fiction these days. Nelson is also complex and interesting - a Northerner who has never quite settled into the softer Southern atmosphere of Norfolk, deeply dedicated to his work but quite unable to "play the game" in terms of policing politics. The setting is also lovely, full of open ocean expanses and darkly brooding, treacherous marshland that can be, quite literally, a fatal place to walk. The secondary characters are also unique personalities in themselves, and the mystery is fairly clued; plus, one learns a lot about archeology and the prehistoric peoples of the region. I've already begun the second book in the series, and can't wait to get to the third and the fourth as well; recommended! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Apr 30, 2014 |
I learned a lot about archeology and it was interesting how Ruth and her profession tied into the mystery. I must say that towards the end I had already guessed who the abductor was, but the book kept my interest throughout every chapter. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
I found this a bit uneven--well written and atmospheric for the most part, especially evocative of the landscape, but also manipulative, especially with the interspersed segments from the lost girl's point of view but also with the turn away from crime novel towards thriller/suspense at the end. I didn't buy at all the whole "now she knew what it was to be a mother" stuff, though I guess that was meant to set us up for Ruth's pregnancy. At times the author just seemed to be trying to hard, but I can imagine a writer who does this well at the first one in a series may relax into her characters more in the next ones.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
A highly atmospheric mystery set in the desolate salt marshes of England’s Norfolk coast.

Elly Griffithsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Turvey, Raymondsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
What the sand gets, the sand keeps forever.

Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone
For Marge
They wait for the tide and set out at first light.

When she's not digging up bones or other ancient objects, quirky, tart-tongued archaeologist Ruth Galloway lives happily alone with her cats in a remote area of England called the Saltmarsh, land that was sacred to its Iron Age inhabitants — not quite earth, not quite sea. When a child's bones are found on a desolate beach nearby, Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson calls Galloway for help. Nelson thinks he has found the remains of Lucy Downey, a little girl who went missing ten years ago. Since her disappearance, he has been receiving bizarre letters about her, letters with references to ritual and sacrifice, some even including quotes from the Bible and Shakespeare.

The bones turn out to be two thousand years old, but Ruth is soon drawn into the Lucy Downey case and into the mind of the letter writer, who seems to have both archaeological knowledge and eerie psychic powers. Then another child goes missing, and the hunt is on to find her. As the letter writer moves closer and the windswept Norfolk landscape exerts its power, Ruth finds herself in completely new territory — and in serious danger.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547229895, Hardcover)

Product Description When she's not digging up bones or other ancient objects, quirky, tart-tongued archaeologist Ruth Galloway lives happily alone in a remote area called Saltmarsh near Norfolk, land that was sacred to its Iron Age inhabitants--not quite earth, not quite sea.

When a child's bones are found on a desolate beach nearby, Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson calls Galloway for help. Nelson thinks he has found the remains of Lucy Downey, a little girl who went missing ten years ago. Since her disappearance he has been receiving bizarre letters about her, letters with references to ritual and sacrifice. The bones actually turn out to be two thousand years old, but Ruth is soon drawn into the Lucy Downey case and into the mind of the letter writer, who seems to have both archaeological knowledge and eerie psychic powers. Then another child goes missing and the hunt is on to find her. As the letter writer moves closer and the windswept Norfolk landscape exerts its power, Ruth finds herself in completely new territory--and in serious danger. The Crossing Places marks the beginning of a captivating new crime series featuring an irresistible heroine.

Amazon Exclusive Essay: "A Bridge to the Afterlife" by Elly Griffiths, Author of The Crossing Places

The Crossing Places is set on desolate marshland in Norfolk. It is thought that prehistoric people saw marshland as sacred. Because it is neither land nor sea but a mixture of both, they saw it as a kind of bridge to the afterlife--neither land nor sea, neither life nor death. This is why they often buried treasure, or even bodies, at the edge of marshland. There have been several discoveries of so-called bog bodies, prehistoric bodies preserved in peaty marshland soil. The most famous of these is probably Tollund Man, discovered in Denmark in 1950. Tollund Man, who dates from the Iron Age, was hanged before being thrown into a peat bog. Was he a sacrifice to the gods, an offering in return for safe passage across the treacherous ground? No one really knows.

Norfolk is on the east coast of England. Less than ten thousand years ago, this land would have been part of the European landmass, now Scandinavia. It's no wonder, then, that Norse belief was strong in the area. My story is fictional but there have been many real-life archaeological discoveries on the Norfolk coast. At Holme-next-the-Sea, a wooden henge was discovered, believed to date from the Bronze Age. At the center of the henge circle was a tree, planted upside down. Was this Yggdrasil, the world tree of Norse legend? The tree on which Odin was sacrificed for the good of mankind? Again, no one knows. As Ruth, the forensic archaeologist in my book, says, "the questions are more important than the answers."

(Photo © Jerry Bauer)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:32 -0400)

When a child's bones are found near an ancient henge in the wild saltmarshes of Norfolk's north coast, Ruth Galloway, a university lecturer in forensic archaeology, is asked to date them by DCI Harry Nelson who thinks they may be the bones of a child called Lucy who has been missing for ten years.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,281,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible