The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths

The Crossing Places (2009)

by Elly Griffiths

Series: Ruth Galloway (1)

Recently added bySparkle64, Berly, daliagagne, Jepyn, mel_scott, private library, mmoj, Rena37, jocko31317, cougargirl1967

English (93)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All (98)
2.5 stars The MC seems so negative and I felt like I was being dragged around her sad, pessimistic life. The frequent christian bashing was irritating and repetitive - I hate the bible, I hate my christian parents, I hate the erroneous beliefs touted by my christian parents, I hate God, I don't believe in God, I hate the church etc etc. We get it, she hates christianity, move on. The exageration of the MCs weight was also painful. I'm going to assume that Ruth is fairly short because 12.5 stone equates to about 7kg/15 pounds over my own ideal healthy weight and i'm 5'9. Overweight? yes. Too large to fit in a car or ever wear jeans? hardly. ( )
  Charli30902 | Jan 5, 2017 |
Forensic anthropologist, Ruth Galloway, solves a 10 year old mystery, when a set of bones is found on a desolate beach near her home in Norfolk. Also available on Overdrive audio. Great series with her new book “Woman in Blue” just out this May.

Meet Ruth Galloway, forensic archeologist who lives in a beautiful but lonely area of Norfolk. Meet the policemen she is called to help with bones they have found, and experience her adventures with solving a difficult case.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Dec 30, 2016 |
A light read which takes place on the seacoast of Norfolk County England. The location is very different and is crucial to the story line. This is the first of a series focused on a collaboration between a detective and a professor of archaeology (specializing in bones). I like the two main characters, but the mystery was easy to solve early on in the book. The other characters the author added in as diversions and possible suspects were interesting though, but the plot lacked depth. I will probably read the next one as this one was entertaining and I'm curious enough to see how the main characters develop ( )
  beebeereads | Dec 20, 2016 |
Elly Griffiths is another new author for me and I really liked this first book of hers I have read. I love her main character, Ruth Galloway, who is an archaeologist. I really liked her description of the Saltmarsh in England, "not quite earth, not quite sea." Ruth helps local police, Nelson, who has been investigating for the past ten years a missing girl. Some bones have been found but turn out to been from the Iron Age. Will Nelson ever find her, with the help of Ruth's archaeological knowledge??? ( )
  libraryclerk | Sep 21, 2016 |
The first in the series and, very deliberately, the first one I have read. The strengths of the book are the sense of place, the fens; and the clever plotting with lots of well placed red herrings. I am not yet sure about the characters, and would question at this stage how they are going to become the core of an ongoing series. But this was a good start and one I will certainly follow up on. ( )
  johnwbeha | Sep 7, 2016 |
A highly atmospheric mystery set in the desolate salt marshes of England’s Norfolk coast.

Elly Griffithsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clark, JoeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kennedy, MarthaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turvey, RaymondMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What the sand gets, the sand keeps forever.

Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone
For Marge
They wait for the tide and set out at first light.
Ruth Galloway: Frågorna är viktigare än svaren

When she's not digging up bones or other ancient objects, quirky, tart-tongued archaeologist Ruth Galloway lives happily alone with her cats in a remote area of England called the Saltmarsh, land that was sacred to its Iron Age inhabitants — not quite earth, not quite sea. When a child's bones are found on a desolate beach nearby, Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson calls Galloway for help. Nelson thinks he has found the remains of Lucy Downey, a little girl who went missing ten years ago. Since her disappearance, he has been receiving bizarre letters about her, letters with references to ritual and sacrifice, some even including quotes from the Bible and Shakespeare.

The bones turn out to be two thousand years old, but Ruth is soon drawn into the Lucy Downey case and into the mind of the letter writer, who seems to have both archaeological knowledge and eerie psychic powers. Then another child goes missing, and the hunt is on to find her. As the letter writer moves closer and the windswept Norfolk landscape exerts its power, Ruth finds herself in completely new territory — and in serious danger.
bodies in salt marsh
religious sign posts
peat versus repeats
(hardboiled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547229895, Hardcover)

Product Description
When she's not digging up bones or other ancient objects, quirky, tart-tongued archaeologist Ruth Galloway lives happily alone in a remote area called Saltmarsh near Norfolk, land that was sacred to its Iron Age inhabitants--not quite earth, not quite sea.

When a child's bones are found on a desolate beach nearby, Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson calls Galloway for help. Nelson thinks he has found the remains of Lucy Downey, a little girl who went missing ten years ago. Since her disappearance he has been receiving bizarre letters about her, letters with references to ritual and sacrifice. The bones actually turn out to be two thousand years old, but Ruth is soon drawn into the Lucy Downey case and into the mind of the letter writer, who seems to have both archaeological knowledge and eerie psychic powers. Then another child goes missing and the hunt is on to find her. As the letter writer moves closer and the windswept Norfolk landscape exerts its power, Ruth finds herself in completely new territory--and in serious danger.

The Crossing Places marks the beginning of a captivating new crime series featuring an irresistible heroine.

Amazon Exclusive Essay: "A Bridge to the Afterlife" by Elly Griffiths, Author of The Crossing Places

The Crossing Places is set on desolate marshland in Norfolk. It is thought that prehistoric people saw marshland as sacred. Because it is neither land nor sea but a mixture of both, they saw it as a kind of bridge to the afterlife--neither land nor sea, neither life nor death. This is why they often buried treasure, or even bodies, at the edge of marshland. There have been several discoveries of so-called bog bodies, prehistoric bodies preserved in peaty marshland soil. The most famous of these is probably Tollund Man, discovered in Denmark in 1950. Tollund Man, who dates from the Iron Age, was hanged before being thrown into a peat bog. Was he a sacrifice to the gods, an offering in return for safe passage across the treacherous ground? No one really knows.

Norfolk is on the east coast of England. Less than ten thousand years ago, this land would have been part of the European landmass, now Scandinavia. It's no wonder, then, that Norse belief was strong in the area. My story is fictional but there have been many real-life archaeological discoveries on the Norfolk coast. At Holme-next-the-Sea, a wooden henge was discovered, believed to date from the Bronze Age. At the center of the henge circle was a tree, planted upside down. Was this Yggdrasil, the world tree of Norse legend? The tree on which Odin was sacrificed for the good of mankind? Again, no one knows. As Ruth, the forensic archaeologist in my book, says, "the questions are more important than the answers."

(Photo © Jerry Bauer)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

When a child's bones are found near an ancient henge in the wild saltmarshes of Norfolk's north coast, Ruth Galloway, a university lecturer in forensic archaeology, is asked to date them by DCI Harry Nelson who thinks they may be the bones of a child called Lucy who has been missing for ten years.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,216,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible