The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths

The Crossing Places (2009)

by Elly Griffiths

Series: Ruth Galloway (1)

951959,132 (3.74)212

English (90)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (95)
Elly Griffiths is another new author for me and I really liked this first book of hers I have read. I love her main character, Ruth Galloway, who is an archaeologist. I really liked her description of the Saltmarsh in England, "not quite earth, not quite sea." Ruth helps local police, Nelson, who has been investigating for the past ten years a missing girl. Some bones have been found but turn out to been from the Iron Age. Will Nelson ever find her, with the help of Ruth's archaeological knowledge??? ( )
  libraryclerk | Sep 21, 2016 |
The first in the series and, very deliberately, the first one I have read. The strengths of the book are the sense of place, the fens; and the clever plotting with lots of well placed red herrings. I am not yet sure about the characters, and would question at this stage how they are going to become the core of an ongoing series. But this was a good start and one I will certainly follow up on. ( )
  johnwbeha | Sep 7, 2016 |
Like many others, I pegged the killer early on and even if Erik wasn't guilty of that crime, it was easy to assign him villain status because he was just such a jerk. Seriously, why did Ruth put up with his crap? Other than her having low self esteem for form's sake, that is. Can't we just once have a professional, successful woman who isn't chewed up with insecurity? I mean a little, sure, but this woman was forever second-guessing herself and running herself down. It must be like the rule that if a cat appears in the first act it must die by the third. Between that and the info-dumps delivered as mini-lectures to a conveniently ignorant cop, I just couldn't warm to Ruth despite having a lot in common with her. This series has caught my attention now and again over the years (mostly because some editions have great covers) and now I've tried one, I won't be tempted again. ( )
  Bookmarque | Aug 26, 2016 |
easy reading but not simple, enjoyable feeling of place and time. My Mum recommended this due to the main protagonist being nearly 40, with two cats, one ginger, one white; and the atmospheric Norfolk marsh/coast. I enjoyed it & went straight on the the second one ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
A mystery and a thriller. The east coast of England in a small college town becomes the host to abduction and murder. Dr Ruth Galloway forensic archeologist is the expert that the police come to for identifying the bones discovered in the marsh. Before the book is finished there will be a variety of twists and turns that will keep you turning the pages. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 6, 2016 |
A highly atmospheric mystery set in the desolate salt marshes of England’s Norfolk coast.

Elly Griffithsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Turvey, RaymondIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What the sand gets, the sand keeps forever.

Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone
For Marge
They wait for the tide and set out at first light.
Ruth Galloway: Frågorna är viktigare än svaren

When she's not digging up bones or other ancient objects, quirky, tart-tongued archaeologist Ruth Galloway lives happily alone with her cats in a remote area of England called the Saltmarsh, land that was sacred to its Iron Age inhabitants — not quite earth, not quite sea. When a child's bones are found on a desolate beach nearby, Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson calls Galloway for help. Nelson thinks he has found the remains of Lucy Downey, a little girl who went missing ten years ago. Since her disappearance, he has been receiving bizarre letters about her, letters with references to ritual and sacrifice, some even including quotes from the Bible and Shakespeare.

The bones turn out to be two thousand years old, but Ruth is soon drawn into the Lucy Downey case and into the mind of the letter writer, who seems to have both archaeological knowledge and eerie psychic powers. Then another child goes missing, and the hunt is on to find her. As the letter writer moves closer and the windswept Norfolk landscape exerts its power, Ruth finds herself in completely new territory — and in serious danger.
bodies in salt marsh
religious sign posts
peat versus repeats
(hardboiled)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0547229895, Hardcover)

Product Description
When she's not digging up bones or other ancient objects, quirky, tart-tongued archaeologist Ruth Galloway lives happily alone in a remote area called Saltmarsh near Norfolk, land that was sacred to its Iron Age inhabitants--not quite earth, not quite sea.

When a child's bones are found on a desolate beach nearby, Detective Chief Inspector Harry Nelson calls Galloway for help. Nelson thinks he has found the remains of Lucy Downey, a little girl who went missing ten years ago. Since her disappearance he has been receiving bizarre letters about her, letters with references to ritual and sacrifice. The bones actually turn out to be two thousand years old, but Ruth is soon drawn into the Lucy Downey case and into the mind of the letter writer, who seems to have both archaeological knowledge and eerie psychic powers. Then another child goes missing and the hunt is on to find her. As the letter writer moves closer and the windswept Norfolk landscape exerts its power, Ruth finds herself in completely new territory--and in serious danger.

The Crossing Places marks the beginning of a captivating new crime series featuring an irresistible heroine.

Amazon Exclusive Essay: "A Bridge to the Afterlife" by Elly Griffiths, Author of The Crossing Places

The Crossing Places is set on desolate marshland in Norfolk. It is thought that prehistoric people saw marshland as sacred. Because it is neither land nor sea but a mixture of both, they saw it as a kind of bridge to the afterlife--neither land nor sea, neither life nor death. This is why they often buried treasure, or even bodies, at the edge of marshland. There have been several discoveries of so-called bog bodies, prehistoric bodies preserved in peaty marshland soil. The most famous of these is probably Tollund Man, discovered in Denmark in 1950. Tollund Man, who dates from the Iron Age, was hanged before being thrown into a peat bog. Was he a sacrifice to the gods, an offering in return for safe passage across the treacherous ground? No one really knows.

Norfolk is on the east coast of England. Less than ten thousand years ago, this land would have been part of the European landmass, now Scandinavia. It's no wonder, then, that Norse belief was strong in the area. My story is fictional but there have been many real-life archaeological discoveries on the Norfolk coast. At Holme-next-the-Sea, a wooden henge was discovered, believed to date from the Bronze Age. At the center of the henge circle was a tree, planted upside down. Was this Yggdrasil, the world tree of Norse legend? The tree on which Odin was sacrificed for the good of mankind? Again, no one knows. As Ruth, the forensic archaeologist in my book, says, "the questions are more important than the answers."

(Photo © Jerry Bauer)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

When a child's bones are found near an ancient henge in the wild saltmarshes of Norfolk's north coast, Ruth Galloway, a university lecturer in forensic archaeology, is asked to date them by DCI Harry Nelson who thinks they may be the bones of a child called Lucy who has been missing for ten years.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,269,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible