The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy

The Glass Lake (1994)

by Maeve Binchy

English (17)  French (1)  All languages (18)
The story is about hope, love, white lies and betrayal in a family saga setting. There's interesting post-war social history too, as we see rapidly changing attitudes towards women's roles in society, divorce, and the issue of unmarried mothers.

The book was well-written without being at all boring despite its length. There are several subplots that work alongside the main story of Kit's growing up, and just enough action for my tastes. The ending was satisfactory without being too neat and tidy.

And yet...

Somehow I had no empathy with any of the characters. They all seemed realistic, but not quite real. I didn't feel as if I knew any of them by the end of the book, and I didn't really care what happened to them. There wasn't much humour in the book - which is fair enough - but although there were moments which should have been emotional, they left me mostly untouched. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
rabck from thegoaliegirl; good saga novel. Oh, what a tangled web we weave! Taking place in Lough Glass Ireland, mostly, Helen/Lena leaves her husband and children to go off with her previous lover. The family believes her to be dead - drowned in the lake - and the story continues for the next 20 years, with the lives of her children and other townspeople, as well as Helen/Lena's life and the London folks she works with and meets. ( )
  nancynova | Dec 1, 2015 |
Really enjoyed. Her usual bunch of characters, all somehow inter-related. Woman leaves husband and 2 children for man she always loved. Left letter for husband explaining all. Daughter found letter and assumed it was a suicide note - thought mother drowned in lake - and burned letter so when body found, she could be buried in churchyard rather than outside (Irish Catholic tradition would not allow for burial in churchyard if a suicide). Long, involved, well told tale. ( )
  Jonlyn | Apr 16, 2014 |
(Note: Slight spoiler ahead!) In Maeve Binchy's The Glass Lake, we are introduced to Cleo and Kit, two young girls growing up in the small Irish village of Lough Glass, a place where everybody knows everyone but not necessarily everyone's secrets. When Kit's mother, always a bit of an enigma and an outsider in the small town, disappears, the whole town is convinced that she has committed suicide, and when a body is found by the lake some weeks later, it is presumed to be hers. However, Kit, in an effort to make sure that her mother is buried in consecrated ground, has a secret - she has destroyed a letter left by her mother, a letter that if read would have changed everything. The consequences of that action are enormous and far-reaching.... I've been discovering Binchy's work over the past year, and generally find it a kind of comfort reading, very engaging and absorbing. For some reason, though, I had difficulty getting into this particular novel; eventually I succumbed, but it took a while this time. I think it might have been simply that I've read enough of her work now to be able to predict events to come (and I was right in all cases). But then, I don't read Binchy primarily for the storyline, I'm more interested in the way she draws complex characters, and in that regard both Kit and her mother are very well drawn indeed. So, a slightly lower recommendation than is usual for me with respect to this author, but still a good read. ( )
  thefirstalicat | May 14, 2013 |
My daughter Laurie induced me to read The Copper Beech on August 5, 2012, and when I liked it she suggested I read this 1994 novel. It involves the disappearance of a woman, leaving behind a well-meaning husband and two children. One of the children, Kit, is a girl of 12 who for reasons which seemed good to her caused the small Irish town to believe he disappaeaer had drowned in the lake. The dramatics of the story are very intense for the first half of the book and again in the final denouement and it is hard to not want to keep reading even though the theme is not fraught with universal significance. I don't know life in small town Ireland in the 1950's but it is easy to believe that the book captures that life in its essence. Maybe some of the mood changes in the characters seem unusual and not likely, but one doesn't hesitate to wonder how the dilemma will be worked out. Whether you will like the way it wors outI don't know, but on reflection I decided it was satisfactory. ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 8, 2012 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mons, AnnetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prummer-Lehmair, ChristaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schermer-Rauwolf, GerlindeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, AndreaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiß, RobertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dearest Gordon,
with the greatest gratitude for everything
and with all my love
Kit always thought that the Pope had been at her mother and father's wedding.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440221595, Mass Market Paperback)

In the tradition of her beloved novel Circle of Friends, Irish novelist Maeve Binchey offers a wonderful old-fashioned melodrama with a contemporary cast of compelling characters. A sly, seductive, and compulsively readable book, perfect for rainy afternoons and late nights in bed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

Unable to come to terms with her misfit mother's bouts of depression, Kit McMahon finds escape in her evening vigils along the lake shore, until her mother's sudden death changes Kit's life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,956,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible