The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy

The Glass Lake (1994)

by Maeve Binchy

Really enjoyed. Her usual bunch of characters, all somehow inter-related. Woman leaves husband and 2 children for man she always loved. Left letter for husband explaining all. Daughter found letter and assumed it was a suicide note - thought mother drowned in lake - and burned letter so when body found, she could be buried in churchyard rather than outside (Irish Catholic tradition would not allow for burial in churchyard if a suicide). Long, involved, well told tale. ( )
  Jonlyn | Apr 16, 2014 |
(Note: Slight spoiler ahead!) In Maeve Binchy's The Glass Lake, we are introduced to Cleo and Kit, two young girls growing up in the small Irish village of Lough Glass, a place where everybody knows everyone but not necessarily everyone's secrets. When Kit's mother, always a bit of an enigma and an outsider in the small town, disappears, the whole town is convinced that she has committed suicide, and when a body is found by the lake some weeks later, it is presumed to be hers. However, Kit, in an effort to make sure that her mother is buried in consecrated ground, has a secret - she has destroyed a letter left by her mother, a letter that if read would have changed everything. The consequences of that action are enormous and far-reaching.... I've been discovering Binchy's work over the past year, and generally find it a kind of comfort reading, very engaging and absorbing. For some reason, though, I had difficulty getting into this particular novel; eventually I succumbed, but it took a while this time. I think it might have been simply that I've read enough of her work now to be able to predict events to come (and I was right in all cases). But then, I don't read Binchy primarily for the storyline, I'm more interested in the way she draws complex characters, and in that regard both Kit and her mother are very well drawn indeed. So, a slightly lower recommendation than is usual for me with respect to this author, but still a good read. ( )
  thefirstalicat | May 14, 2013 |
My daughter Laurie induced me to read The Copper Beech on August 5, 2012, and when I liked it she suggested I read this 1994 novel. It involves the disappearance of a woman, leaving behind a well-meaning husband and two children. One of the children, Kit, is a girl of 12 who for reasons which seemed good to her caused the small Irish town to believe he disappaeaer had drowned in the lake. The dramatics of the story are very intense for the first half of the book and again in the final denouement and it is hard to not want to keep reading even though the theme is not fraught with universal significance. I don't know life in small town Ireland in the 1950's but it is easy to believe that the book captures that life in its essence. Maybe some of the mood changes in the characters seem unusual and not likely, but one doesn't hesitate to wonder how the dilemma will be worked out. Whether you will like the way it wors outI don't know, but on reflection I decided it was satisfactory. ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 8, 2012 |
This is one of Maeve Binchy's earlier books. It was published in 1994. I don't remember for sure how I got it. It may have been a present from my sister or my mother. In 1994 I had just started back to school and money was tight so I know I didn't buy this Hardback book.

I first discovered Binchy's writing when I visited Dublin in 1988. She was writing columns for the Irish Times and I loved them. Then I was thrilled to find a copy of The Lilac Bus in a bookstore which meant I could enjoy her writing even when I went back to Canada (remember this is pre-internet days).

I don't remember too much about this book but I'm sure I loved it as I did everything of Binchy's until the extremely disappointing Nights of Rain and Stars. ( )
  gypsysmom | Nov 6, 2011 |
My favorite book that I have read like 100 times. I'm not the best book reviewer, but I'll just say it's a great one! (and it may be time for me to hunt it up again!) ( )
  misskittyfantastico | May 13, 2011 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mons, AnnetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dearest Gordon,
with the greatest gratitude for everything
and with all my love
Kit always thought that the Pope had been at her mother and father's wedding.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440221595, Mass Market Paperback)

In the tradition of her beloved novel Circle of Friends, Irish novelist Maeve Binchey offers a wonderful old-fashioned melodrama with a contemporary cast of compelling characters. A sly, seductive, and compulsively readable book, perfect for rainy afternoons and late nights in bed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:40 -0400)

Unable to come to terms with her misfit mother's bouts of depression, Kit McMahon finds escape in her evening vigils along the lake shore, until her mother's sudden death changes Kit's life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible