The Dream Merchants by Harold Robbins

The Dream Merchants (1949)

by Harold Robbins

Johnny Edge is a picture man. He lived thirty years in the picture business. He went that way together with Peter Kessler since Johnny came to Rochester to go his own way. Johnny had the ideas and Peter the money. They became best friends like a family and Peter went the way together with Johnny and all the other fellows.

The Dream Merchants show the way of the beginnings in the movie business, based in New York, with the movement to Hollywood and into the era of sound pictures. It is a lively story, told very vivid. The people seem to appear in front of the inner eye by reading. The story comes to live by reading. I love the way Harold Robbins wrote his books and the Dream Merchants is one of his best bestseller. In fact, all his books were bestsellers and it‘s difficult to decide which one is on top of them. I decided for me: the latest I had read is always the best. And I read his books again and again, a second and third and, I will read them, a tenth time.

I suggest you to read this book and all the other novels by Harold Robbins for your pleasure as a reader. His books were still one of the best fictional novels.
So long! ( )
  AlecBaker | Aug 3, 2013 |
ISBN 0765300028 is associated with Harold Robbins' posthumous 2003 novel, Heat of Passion. Please distinguish that title from Robbins' 1949 novel, The Dream Merchants, some LT records for which include the same ISBN. Thank you.

From the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller The Carpetbaggers comes a novel of passion, intrigue, power, and money. With 11 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, The Dream Merchants provides a fascinating look at the early days of the world's most glamorous industry Hollywood. It was the latest "gold rush" when ambitious, if unscrupulous, men and women flooded California to turn cinematic dreams into reality, regardless of the moral cost. Johnny Edge, a former carnival barker, schemes and plots his way to the top while Peter Kessler turns his back on a staid life of small-town stability to stake his fortune on the movie business. Beautiful starlet Dulcie Warren is willing to use her sexuality and to play dirty to get to the top, if that's what it takes. When the lives of these three ambitious, determined characters collide, they have the potential to build a dream or shatter one. "He is still recognizable as the playboy-novelist who spurning nice reviews and a different kind of reputation happily wrote about money for money, and about sex for sex." The New Yorker… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,405,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible