Bad Things Happen by Harry Dolan

Bad Things Happen

by Harry Dolan

I simply love how Harry Dolan tells stories; and Dolan's stories are mysteries with many layers and great characters and delightful dialogue. The premise of this story is about a man who calls himself David Loogan getting involved in a murder mystery while working as an editor for a crime story magazine, Gray Streets. Fun to read, keeps the reader guessing, and the main characters -- especially Loogan -- are people the reader wants to succeed (and live). Dolan only has about 4 books published so far, but the first two I have read, i have thoroughly enjoyed. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Mar 20, 2016 |
David Loogan is hired by Tom Kristoll to help edit the literary magazine Grey Streets. Soon David starts an affair with Tom's wife, then Tom is murdered. I liked the Michigan setting. Most of the details were realistic except every time the author mentioned elm trees growing I yelled at the book dutch elm disease, no elms here. There was a moderate level of suspense, no major cliffhangers and the ending was just odd and didn't fit with the rest of the book. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Pretty good for a first novel. I look forward to reading the second. It was a little difficult in the end to follow all the murders and murderers (there were a lot of deaths to keep track of). I never did a partial review as I was reading this book b/c I couldn't figure out what kept me going back. Something about the writers or the characters kept you wanting to read more and I never have put my finger on it. The book was good, but there wasn't anything exceptional about it. ( )
  campingmomma | Aug 18, 2015 |
One of the best opening sentences I've ever read. I knew from that point I'd like this quirky but exceptionally written book. ( )
  groundedforlife | Jul 6, 2015 |
Very interesting. Well crafted. Harry Dolan is one to read—or at least this one is. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
Although the plot is fairly outlandish, the narrative comes with startling developments and nicely tricky reversals. There’s also something appealingly offbeat about the wry, dry tone of its academic humor.

"Witty, sophisticated, suspenseful and endless fun..." -- The Washington Post

The man who calls himself DAVID LOOGAN is hoping to escape a violent past by leading a quiet, anonymous life in Ann Arbor, Michigan. But his solitude is broken when he finds himself drawn into a friendship with Tom Kristoll, publisher of the mystery magazine Gray Streets -- and into an affair with Laura, Tom's sleek blond wife. When Tom offers him a job as an editor, Loogan sees no harm in accepting. What he doesn't realize is that the stories in Gray Streets tend to follow a simple formula: Plans go wrong. Bad things happen. People die.

ELIZABETH WAISHKEY is the most talented detective in the Ann Arbor Police Department. But when Tom Kristoll turns up dead, she doesn't know quite what to make of David Loogan. Is he a killer, or an ally who might help her find the truth? As more deaths start mounting up -- some of them echoing stories published in the magazine -- it's up to Elizabeth to solve both the murders and the mystery of Loogan himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

The man who calls himself David Loogan is leading a quiet, anonymous life in the college town of Ann Arbor, Michigan. He's hoping to escape a violent past he would rather forget. But his solitude is broken when he finds himself drawn into a friendship with Tom Kristoll, publisher of the mystery magazine Gray Streets--and into an affair with Laura, Tom's sleek blond wife. When Tom offers him a job as an editor, Loogan sees no harm in accepting. What he doesn't realize is that the stories in Gray Streets tend to follow a simple formula: Plans go wrong. Bad things happen. People die.--From publisher's description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible