Bad Things Happen

by Harry Dolan

Series: David Loogan (1)

The man who calls himself David Loogan is leading a quiet, anonymous life in the college town of Ann Arbor, Michigan. He's hoping to escape a violent past he would rather forget. But his solitude is broken when he finds himself drawn into a friendship with Tom Kristoll, publisher of the mystery magazine Gray Streets--and into an affair with Laura, Tom's sleek blond wife. When Tom offers him a job as an editor, Loogan sees no harm in accepting. What he doesn't realize is that the stories in Gray Streets tend to follow a simple formula: Plans go wrong. Bad things happen. People die.--From publisher's description.… (more)
To Read (270)

This was really interesting on several levels. I'd never heard of this author before and was delightfully sucked into the story immediately. Also delighted to see he has other books already published and is young and, hopefully, still writing. The story itself was kind of convoluted about authors and jealousies. But, even now finished there is still a mystery about the main protagonist. And a second in the series. So... excellent! ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
David Loogan has rented a house in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The house belongs to a professor who is away. We don't know too much about our main character at this point. He is writing and keeps dropping off his work to "Gray Streets", a mystery magazine.
David is hired by Tom Kristoll, the publisher of said magazine as an editor. David quickly becomes involved in an affair with Tom's wife, Laura.
David becomes good friends with Tom and is called one night to come to the office, where an unfortunate circumstance has happened with a murder. David helps Tom take care of the body.
From here, there is murder after murder and many different possibilities of who has killed whom. There are many characters with intertwining stories and much history to learn.
I thought this was interesting, with each character being different, so no confusion about their story. Will definitely consider reading more of Harry Dolan's work.
  JReynolds1959 | Mar 11, 2020 |
The beginning grabs you right off the bat- I was immediately intrigued and sucked in. I thought it was a decent book however, about three fourths through I felt it was a lot of just back and forth between characters and the story wasn't getting to the point/end. Overall it was a decent crime read and I would look at picking up another of his books for an in between read. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Enjoyed this - a mix of Guy Noir, Private Eye and Castle.... different mix of writer & cop that did a good job keeping me guessing. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Lots of intrigue, red herrings, and plot twists, with a satisfying climax. Great characters and realistic dialog. David Loogan is a protagonist I want to read more about. ( )
  MugsyNoir | Oct 27, 2017 |
Although the plot is fairly outlandish, the narrative comes with startling developments and nicely tricky reversals. There’s also something appealingly offbeat about the wry, dry tone of its academic humor.

Belongs to Series

Harry Dolan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,893,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible