Bad Things Happen by Harry Dolan

Bad Things Happen

by Harry Dolan

Good Things Happen

When I read Stephen King called this "a great f@@king book" I had to give it a try. Now I agree with Mr. King.
Meet David Loogan or at least, the man who goes by that name. He's a quiet man who keeps to himself, spending his days going to movies & people watching. In a cafe, he finds a magazine that prints crime & detective short stories. On a lark, he writes one & take it to the mag office. Then he rewrites it. He's caught dropping off the third version by Tom Kristoll, the owner, who ends up offering him a job as an editor. They strike up odd friendship & David meets Laura, Tom's wife. She drags him out to art galleries & initiates an affair.
Then one night Tom calls for a favour. Will David help him bury a body? There's much more to that story but David gives him a hand although he doubts Tom's version of events. Soon after, he ends the affair the same night Tom is sent sailing out his office window.
Local detectives Elizabeth Waishkey & Carter Shan catch the case & as they dig, they find evidence of the affair as well as questions concerning the group of authors who run the magazine. All of them have secrets & Elizabeth and Carter have to give them a harder look when a second body pops up.
Meanwhile, David begins a little detecting of his own. He wants to know the truth about the man he helped Tom bury & how he ended up dead. When a third person is murdered, David is framed & goes on the run.
To say the plot is intricate is an understatement but it never feels muddled or convoluted. The pacing is bang on & once I started, I didn't want to put it down because I genuinely didn't know who-done-it. There are several credible candidates & as past histories and alliances are slowly revealed, you switch from one to another as your choice for killer. It's smart, well thought out & written in a clean, uncluttered prose. The dialogue is tight with a wry humour that shines particularly in conversations between Elizabeth & her daughter & Carter.
David is a compelling & sympathetic character. He's decent, observant & well read. We know from the beginning he's assumed a new name. We also know he doesn't like car parks, doorways or being out after dark. His past is revealed bit by bit as we follow his actions in the present, actions that will result in his past catching up with him.
The characters are well rounded & interesting. Dolan pays homage to writers like Raymond Chandler, not just by producing a cleverly plotted thriller but with references to their old stye noir detective novels.
Elizabeth & David face personal danger as they come at the murders from their own perspectives & it turns out he's not the only one hiding behind a new name. Just when you think you've got it sussed, there are a couple of twists that change everything.
I really enjoyed this. It's so rare to read a detective novel/thriller where you don't see the identity of the killer coming from a mile away. There is a sequel (Very Bad Men) & I will definitely read that one so I can follow these characters a bit longer.
  RowingRabbit | Sep 14, 2014 |
Great book -I really enjoyed it. The kind of book that is so hard to put down, I find myself resenting the time that I need to spend sleeping (or going to work). I am looking forward to seeing what this author writes next. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Excellent mystery/thriller. I was completely engaged (and finished it in just four days) and there were twists and turns in the plot right until the very end. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is one of the best whodunit I have read in a while. The man who calls himself David Loogan is living a peaceful life trying to forget his past. Along comes Tom and hires David to be his editor at the Gray Streets magazine. Soon David is doing more than editing for Tom: he's sleeping with his wife and helping Tom get away with murder. Things start to complicate as the bodies start to pile up. Detective Elizabeth Waishkey is assigned to the case. It's up to her and David to clear all this mess up. This one kept me guessing up till the very end and has some twists in there that I didn't see coming. To quote Stephen King, "This is one fucking good book". ( )
  AleAleta | Jan 21, 2014 |
Although the plot is fairly outlandish, the narrative comes with startling developments and nicely tricky reversals. There’s also something appealingly offbeat about the wry, dry tone of its academic humor.

"Witty, sophisticated, suspenseful and endless fun..." -- The Washington Post

The man who calls himself DAVID LOOGAN is hoping to escape a violent past by leading a quiet, anonymous life in Ann Arbor, Michigan. But his solitude is broken when he finds himself drawn into a friendship with Tom Kristoll, publisher of the mystery magazine Gray Streets -- and into an affair with Laura, Tom's sleek blond wife. When Tom offers him a job as an editor, Loogan sees no harm in accepting. What he doesn't realize is that the stories in Gray Streets tend to follow a simple formula: Plans go wrong. Bad things happen. People die.

ELIZABETH WAISHKEY is the most talented detective in the Ann Arbor Police Department. But when Tom Kristoll turns up dead, she doesn't know quite what to make of David Loogan. Is he a killer, or an ally who might help her find the truth? As more deaths start mounting up -- some of them echoing stories published in the magazine -- it's up to Elizabeth to solve both the murders and the mystery of Loogan himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:16 -0400)

The man who calls himself David Loogan is leading a quiet, anonymous life in the college town of Ann Arbor, Michigan. He's hoping to escape a violent past he would rather forget. But his solitude is broken when he finds himself drawn into a friendship with Tom Kristoll, publisher of the mystery magazine Gray Streets--and into an affair with Laura, Tom's sleek blond wife. When Tom offers him a job as an editor, Loogan sees no harm in accepting. What he doesn't realize is that the stories in Gray Streets tend to follow a simple formula: Plans go wrong. Bad things happen. People die.--From publisher's description.… (more)

Harry Dolan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,378,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible