Death Be Not Proud by John Gunther

Death Be Not Proud (1949)

by John Gunther, John Gunther

Recently added byLT_Ammar, private library, lucybrown, CpcOB, Mel4
Legacy LibrariesKaren Blixen, Ernest Hemingway

A well-written tear- jerker. I read this as a teen and at that time really liked it. I wonder if I would now. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
This memoir about death is full of life. ( )
  DavidPaulKuhn | Jul 9, 2015 |
Seguendo un suggerimento trovato su BrainPickings l'ho trovato, usato, in GB. Letto in inglese solo per esercizio, dopo un poco è faticoso. Sono arenato a meta', e non voglio andare avanti. Perche' so gia' che sara' sempre peggio, e non dipendera' dall'ignoranza della lingua. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |

John Guntherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gunther, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so:
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor Death: not yet canst thou kill me.
From Rest and Sleep, which but thy picture be,
Much pleasure, then from thee much more must flow;
And soonest our best men with thee do go—
Rest of their bones and souls' delivery!
Thou'rt slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell;
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
And better than thy stroke. Why swell'st thou then?
     One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
     And Death shall be no more: Death, thou shalt die!

—John Donne
In Memoriam
John Gunther Junior

This is not so much a memoir of Johnny in the conventional sense as the story of a long, courageous struggle between a child and Death. It is not about the happy early years except in this brief introduction, but about his illness. It is, in simple fact, the story of what happened to Johnny's brain. I write it because many children are afflicted by disease, though few ever have to endure what Johnny had, and perhaps they and their parents may derive some modicum of succor from the unflinching fortitude and detachment with which he rode through his ordeal to the end.

Johnny came home for the Christmas hoiday in 1945, and he looked fit and fine. He was lenthening out physically and otherwise, as children do all of a sudden, responding as it were to the release of some hidden inner spring. We saw a lot of each other, and just before getting on the train to return to school in January, he excalimed, "Pop, that was the best ten days I ever had!"

John Gunther was sventeen when he died of a brain tumor. This book is a father's memoir of a brave spirited boy.

Johnny Gunther was only seventeen years old when he died of a brain tumor. During the months of his illness, everyone near him was unforgettably impressed by his level-headed courage, his wit and quiet friendliness, and, above all, his unfaltering patience through times of despair. This deeply moving book is a father's memoir of a brave, intelligent, and spirited boy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

The father of a seventeen-year-old who died of a brain tumor describes his son's courage in the face of certain death.

160 avail.5 pay1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,785,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible