Ex Machina: Fact v. Fiction by Brian K.…

Ex Machina: Fact v. Fiction

by Brian K. Vaughan

Summary: In Volume 3, we get one issue entitled "Fortune Favor" that has Mayor Hundred and a fortuneteller sharing their guilt that neither of them could stop September 11th. In the main story arc, "Fact v. Fiction", Mayor Hundred volunteers for jury duty, but while he's sequestered, another masked man with a jetpack is terrorizing the city. On the one hand, it's good, since it clearly is not Mayor Hundred (or rather, not his alter ego the Great Machine), but on the other hand, who will stop the newcomer while the mayor's out of commission… and dealing with issues of his own during jury deliberations? And finally, in "Off the Grid", when the mayor receives an unexpected phone call, he has to leave town to deal with the issues of his past.

Review: I enjoyed the shorter stories in Volume 3 more than I did the main arc. They're both dealing with the more emotional and personal side of being an ex-superhero, which I always find more compelling. I also thought that the imposter storyline wasn't given enough oomph or background - we find out who's behind it pretty quickly, but we don't have any real connection to the characters involved, so what is supposed to be a shocking reveal kind of fizzles. I did like the jury duty storyline, though - again, looking at the intersection of the personal with the political. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: While this series is not my favorite of Brian K. Vaughan's work, it's making a story that's largely focused on politics interesting, which says quite a bit in its favor. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Nov 3, 2014 |
Surprisingly funny. The artwork is fantastic. There are some gruesome scenes. ( )
  lesmel | Apr 19, 2013 |
Ex Machina just keeps getting better. I love the whole super hero turned politian. ( )
  andystehr | Sep 21, 2010 |
D: Felt like "filler" episodes. ( )
  bramon | May 10, 2009 |
Mayor Hundred is getting pretty stressed about doing this whole running a huge city thing. First, the weather has turned very bad, which an extremely bad storm leaving the city snowbound. To cap that off another killer is running around bumping off snowplough drivers, of all people.

It is tempting to break out the superpowers when something like this happens.

http://graphicsf.blogspot.com/2006/11/ex-machina-3-fact-v-fiction.html ( )
  bluetyson | Nov 11, 2006 |

Mayor Mitchel Hundred becomes part of a shocking trial complicated by the arrival of a new superhero. Then, he leaves New York for the first time since his election to embark on a strange adventure.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,476,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible