Split by Swati Avasthi

Really powerful. Would be great to read with others. It made me think a lot about abuse and what's forgivable and if people can really change. I can't even get my thoughts straight about it. It's wonderfully challenging book with characters I could relate to and have empathy for, even when I felt like I shouldn't. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
In the book Split by Swati Avasthi, it is about a teenage boy who ran away from home to his older brother's house in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The reader finds out that Jace leaves his family because his abusive father kicked him out of the house and if he ever came back his mother would be killed. We find out that Jace hasn't seen his brother in five years because he also left his family. Throughout the story Jace is trying to build a relationship with his brother and has an inner conflict if he will ever see his mother again. He was promised by his mother that she would come back by Thanksgiving so he is anxiously waiting for her. I really enjoyed this book because it was really interesting. I would recommend this book to people who like young adult novels. ( )
  CWK22 | Mar 13, 2017 |
A young adult book about a father who abused his family and how they came to escape. Jace, the main character, leaves years after his older brother, but still manages to track him down. They live together and try to get along and get through the childhood they've left behind. Jace struggles to adjust to a new high school and come to terms with the girlfriend he left behind. The book has a good pace of revealing things that happened, and the ending is realistic and not rushed. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
The sad tale of domestic abuse is told in this dramatic story of two brothers, who have been mercilessly beaten by their father over a period of years, trying to come to grips with their past so they can have a future. Along the way, they need to learn how to forgive their mother who has endured her own share of abuse for 25 years, and accept that she needs to make her own decisions about her future. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to my parents, Pushpa and Pratap S. Avasthi. All my life, they've given me seeds, water, and sunshine. Then they waited patiently to see what I might grow.
Now I have to start lying.

Sixteen-Year-Old Jace Witherspoon arrives at the doorstep of his estranged brother Christian with a re-landscaped face (courtesy of his father’s fist), $3.84, and a secret.

He tries to move on, going for new friends, a new school, and a new job, but all his changes can’t make him forget what he left behind—his mother, who is still trapped with his dad, and his ex-girlfriend, who is keeping his secret.

At least so far.

Worst of all, Jace realizes that if he really wants to move forward, he may first have to do what scares him most: He may have to go back. First-time novelist Swati Avasthi has created a riveting and remarkably nuanced portrait of what happens after. After you’ve said enough, after you’ve run, after you’ve made the split—how do you begin to live again? Readers won’t be able to put this intense page-turner down.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

A teenaged boy thrown out of his house by his abusive father goes to live with his older brother, who ran away from home years ago to escape the abuse.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,756,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible