The Infernal City by Greg Keyes

The Infernal City

by Greg Keyes

Recently added byHyzie, ohNeal, EL_Roy, private library, AcmStruga, Galilman, dmg111, Zeroth, Joel.G..Gomes

Un libro no muy sobresaliente de fantasía, pero si has jugado a los elders scrolls, entonces los disfrutaras ( )
  Zeroth | May 19, 2014 |
I really wanted to like this book. It wasn't badly written, but I think Keyes relied to much on the content of the video games. The book offered nothing really new to the world, so I have to say it sort of failed. Nevertheless, I am a huge Elder Scrolls fan, so I will read the sequel. ( )
  HayMicheal | Aug 21, 2011 |
I liked this book, but I have two big caveats about it:

1) It assumes that the reader knows the world of Tamriel and, further, has played or at least knows the plots of both Morrowind and Oblivion. The references to events and characters in those games, not to mention to places, races, and general terms unique to the setting go completely unexplained. This is fine for a fan like me, but I suspect anyone new to Elder Scrolls fandom would be lost. Personally, I think it's a mistake; this was a chance for them to attract new fans and they blew it by not including an appendix or two.

2.) This is is book 1 of 2. Unfortunately, it does not have a real ending; it just kind of stops in the middle. I don't quite get why - it's certainly short enough that it could have kept going. As it is, the ending is frustrating. I'd recommend anyone considering getting the book wait until the second book is out, too, and get them both at the same time.

That said, the writing is pretty good, particularly for a book based on a video game franchise (that said, however, the Elder Scrolls isn't exactly the typical franchise for this kind of thing). The author seems to have a good grasp of the setting and I particularly liked the characterization of Black Marsh and the Argonians - it reminded me very much of a certain series of books found in Morrowind. It would have been nice if it were a bit longer, though; it's fairly short for the number of PoV characters it has and their development suffers a little for it. ( )
  moontyger | May 18, 2011 |
I'm a big TES fan. So of course I rush out to buy this puppy the moment Hasting's opened and read it the same day.

If you're not a TES fan, some of the details might elude you, but the overall story will be pretty easy to grasp. If you're the type of person who likes having all the background explained to you, you might want to read it in front of a computer with your browser open to The Imperial Library (a google search should turn it up as the first hit).

The Infernal City was a fun, quick read. I enjoyed it. There's one part in particular that pretty much screamed TES, and that made the whole thing worth reading in and of itself. TES fans will find that Tamriel has changed slightly in some places, more drastically in others. That also makes the book required reading for TES fans.

The main plot, however, isn't so strong. Without the TES background, it would be relegated to "nothing special." I think that's really what hurts the book the most. I can understand wanting to leave the truly epic TES plots for the games, but that left the book with a rather "meh" plot.

My biggest gripe with the The Infernal City is the ending. The book's not terribly short, but it ends rather abruptly for one set of characters, and I'm still not sure if a page or two went missing or what. It also screams "The next book will be a sequel," leaving me with what feels suspiciously like half a book. One set of characters had a good, solid, end-of-a-book ending, the other set were left hanging with no resolution of any kind. Acceptable in comics, yes, not so much in books. Nothing for those characters was resolved, and I feel rather cheated in that regard. Now I have to wait for the next one to come out before I get any resolution at all.

So overall, a good, fun book. Not a GREAT book, and it will certainly be improved upon with a sequel and some resolution, but definitely a good read for the TES fan. ( )
1 vote skullfaced | Nov 25, 2009 |
For my daughter, Dorothy Nellah Joych Keyes. Welcome, Nellah.
When Iffech felt the sea shudder, he knew.

Four decades after the Oblivion Crisis, Tamriel is threatened anew by an ancient and all-consuming evil. It is Umbriel, a floating city that casts a terrifying shadow–for wherever it falls, people die and rise again.

And it is in Umbriel’s shadow that a great adventure begins, and a group of unlikely heroes meet. A legendary prince with a secret. A spy on the trail of a vast conspiracy. A mage obsessed with his desire for revenge. And Annaig, a young girl in whose hands the fate of Tamriel may rest . . . .

Based on the award-winning The Elder Scrolls, The Infernal City is the first of two exhilarating novels following events that continue the story from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, named 2006 Game of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:46 -0400)

"Four decades after the Oblivion Crisis, Tamriel is threatened anew by an ancient and all-consuming evil. It is Umbriel, a floating city that casts a terrifying shadow; for wherever it falls, people die and rise again. And it is in Umbriel's shadow that a great adventure begins, and a group of unlikely heroes meet"--Publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,488,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible