Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Street Love by Walter Dean Myers

Street Love

by Walter Dean Myers

This written-in-verse novel is about a love that has determination above all the obstacles above Harlem city pale streets , poverty and bad situation.

there is that love that peeks from the sun rays that demands us to feel its presence and we still denying it.
between the hair locs and dried bruises

between desperation and losing faith.. it will find its way to your heart ( )
  Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |
This slim volume, written in free verse, tells the story of Damien and Junice, two Harlem teenagers who fall in love despite all the forces against them. Junice’s mother has just been sentenced to twenty-five years in prison for possession and distribution of drugs, and she has no one to look after her and her nine-year-old sister, Melissa. Damien’s mother and father are proud of his accomplishments, including acceptance to Brown, but they want no part of Junice or her troubles. How the two lovers meet, interact, and ultimately decide their fate unfolds in short poems written from multiple points of view. Sometimes we get glimpses into Damien’s thoughts, other times Junice’s, the mothers’, and even the social worker assigned to Junice’s case. Myers displays his considerable talents through these vignettes as each poetic voice is at once unique and in harmony with the other poems.

Both Damien and Junice are strong characters. Damien is thoughtful and kind, while Junice refuses to let her situation define her. She even tells Damien at one point, “I am only what you see, this stick/Of a woman trying to make enough magic/To negotiate the shadows of these streets...My life is not packaged” (109). The adult characters get less sympathetic portrayals; though they all have their reasons for wanting to keep Damien and Junice apart, their cynicism reveals their powerlessness.

Students will enjoy the gritty setting, which gets plenty of loving description by Myers. However, they may find the format hard to follow. It would be best to teach this novel by having students actually read it aloud and act it out, so that they have concrete movements to convey what is at times rather abstract prose. While there is no cussing, mature content makes this a better pick for ages 14 and up. ( )
  ALelliott | May 16, 2012 |
Street Love is a novel-in-verse and at first I felt completely lost trying to read this format. However, after about 20 pages, I got the hang of it and I really enjoyed the format. I do not know much about poetry, but I appreciate that authors can inspire young and old to read and write forms of poetry. This telling of inner-city living and young teens is brilliantly written. ( )
  moni.ca | Mar 6, 2012 |
Two star crossed lovers come together in the streets of Harlem. Damien is upwardly mobile and has been admitted to Brown University. Junice's mother has just been sent to prison for 25 years. Can these two seemingly opposite souls resist external pressures and find peace in one another? ( )
  victorianist | Feb 13, 2011 |
This book was about a guy and a girl falling in love. There were some parts of this book I didn't get but I got them sooner or later. It goes through times she and her boyfriend have difficult times with each other. Their names were Damien and Junice. They come from two totally different worlds but they still find a way to love each other. This is a really great love story. ( )
  Serena_iz_Crazi | Oct 27, 2010 |
Autumn in Harlem. / Fume-choked leaves, already / Yellowed, crack in the late September / Breeze. Weeds, city tough, city brittle, / Push definiantly along the concreted edges / Of Malcolm X Boulevard.

Your first love is totally wrong for you.
Do you follow your heart?
Or do you run away?

Junice

What am I doing? He’ll take one quick look
And wish he was anywhere else but here
I’m already ashamed of what I think
He will think of me, of the life I lead

Damien

Yes, she is the fruit that will
Sustain me and yes, she brings
A rain that I know can chill
But it is a rain so sweet and sings
A song my soul insists
That I follow, if I would exist
As more than I have ever, ever been
If my mother calls it evil, then I embrace the sin

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

In this Harlem story told in free verse, seventeen-year-old Damien takes a bold step to ensure that he and his new love will not be separated.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,503,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible