Monster by Walter Dean Myers

Monster (1999)

by Walter Dean Myers

3,0682561,851 (3.67)1 / 52

The book "Monster" by Walter Dean Myers is about a young boy named Steve Harmon who is on trial for murder along with Richard Evans and James King. King and Evans are known for being no good but Steve comes from a good family, so people are surprised when he is a suspect in this case. On December 22nd, there was a robbery and a murder, but King, Evans, and Steve all have different opinions of how it all happened. At the end, it is up to the reader to decide who is innocent and who is guilty. I thought this was a fast read but it was very interesting and I would recommend everyone to try it out. ( )
  Malorie.2016 | Feb 11, 2016 |
The book "Monster" written by author Walter Dean Myers, is about a man named Steve Harmon who is accused of murder and could potentially serve 25 years in jail. Steve captures the entire process of his trial including his emotions and thoughts into a journal he keeps. This captivating book takes the reader through the highs and lows of Steve's trial, always leaving the reader frantically wanting to know more information. One of the book's strengths is how the author brilliantly developed the emotions and tribulations Steve felt and wrote about in his journal. The journal portion of the book lets the reader have incite on what Steve is going through during the process of his trial. However, I felt like the development of some characters were executed poorly. For example, members in The Brother of The Hood could have been executed more in regards to their personalities and roles.
I would definitely recommend this book to others because of how interesting the book was from beginning to end. This book didn't win several honorary awards for nothing. I believe that anyone who reads this book will be hooked until the last page.
  sarahbranch | Feb 11, 2016 |
"Monster" by Walter Dean Myers, was very interesting. It was an easy read because it was written in s script like fashion. The book grasps your attention in many ways. One being that the main character, Steve Harmon, is the one writing this book/movie script, and all we know is what he has to say. Two being that even at the very end it leaves the reader wondering is he guilty or not guilty? I would recommend this readers from middle school and up, it is not a hard read but the voice overs, CU's, and other movie terms might be a bit over whelming to new readers. Anyone who took the time to read this novel, would thoroughly enjoy it.
  smn153 | Feb 11, 2016 |
Before reading this book it gave me a bad feeling, I really did not want to read it but I did and it is one of the most interesting books I have ever read. The way that it is written is unique, it is not your regular book. The main character, Steven writes the trail and his time in jail like a movie. During the trail you James King the "thug" and the jury, along with prosecutors and Kings friends. The story goes on to explain if Steven is guilty or not guilty for murder. The book leaves you questioning a side, but you will have to read it to choose your side.
  cmerideth | Feb 10, 2016 |
This is definitely a quick read; it would be a great weekend novel. The author keeps the reader engaged throughout by alternating between the speaker's (Steve Harmon, the 16 year old boy on trial for being involved in a murder) diary entries and the script of a movie that he is creating based on the experiences in the courtroom. Steve's experience in the detention center are incredibly scary and a reality for many.

As far as Steve's innocence, the author really keeps us guessing. Sometimes you are sure a boy like Steve could not be an accomplice to a murder; other times, you start to question yourself. It is a constant back and forth with no clear verdict, even at the end, which may be frustrating for those who need closure. ( )
  JensenBosarge | Feb 9, 2016 |

Walter Dean Myersprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Myers, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Brendel for his long friendship
The best time to cry is at night, when the lights are out and someone is being beaten up and screaming for help.
I think I finally understand why there are so many fights. In here all you have going for you is the little surface stuff, how people look at you and what they say.

I am so scared. My heart is beating like crazy and I am having trouble breathing.

I want to know who I am.

...what did she see that caused her to turn away?"

I appreciated this story, and think it is a good read for young adults. I also think this book has the potential to bring in young readers who may not be that interested in reading. A big idea around the story is decision making and consequences which easily opens up discussion. Additionally, the story is presented and the reader reaches their own decision which would foster debate and interpretation skills within the reader.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407314, Paperback)

"Monster" is what the prosecutor called 16-year-old Steve Harmon for his supposed role in the fatal shooting of a convenience-store owner. But was Steve really the lookout who gave the "all clear" to the murderer, or was he just in the wrong place at the wrong time? In this innovative novel by Walter Dean Myers, the reader becomes both juror and witness during the trial of Steve's life. To calm his nerves as he sits in the courtroom, aspiring filmmaker Steve chronicles the proceedings in movie script format. Interspersed throughout his screenplay are journal writings that provide insight into Steve's life before the murder and his feelings about being held in prison during the trial. "They take away your shoelaces and your belt so you can't kill yourself no matter how bad it is. I guess making you live is part of the punishment."

Myers, known for the inner-city classic Motown and Didi (first published in 1984), proves with Monster that he has kept up with both the struggles and the lingo of today's teens. Steve is an adolescent caught up in the violent circumstances of an adult world--a situation most teens can relate to on some level. Readers will no doubt be attracted to the novel's handwriting-style typeface, emphasis on dialogue, and fast-paced courtroom action. By weaving together Steve's journal entries and his script, Myers has given the first-person voice a new twist and added yet another worthy volume to his already admirable body of work. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:56 -0400)

While on trial as an accomplice to a murder, sixteen-year-old Steve Harmon records his experiences in prison and in the courtroom in the form of a film script as he tries to come to terms with the course his life has taken.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,237,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible