Farm Fresh Murder by Paige Shelton

Farm Fresh Murder

by Paige Shelton

English (13)  Piratical (1)  All languages (14)
The one day Becca Robins is running late, she arrives at the farmer's market to find that one of her fellow vendors has been murdered. Matt Simonson was a long-time vendor at a farmers' market in a neighboring community and hadn't been at Bailey's Farmers' Market long. Apparently he was there long enough to provoke someone to murder. Suspicion soon falls on Becca's good friend, Abner, who had a public quarrel with the dead man shortly before the murder. Becca's fraternal twin, Allison, manages Bailey's market, and Becca wants to do whatever she can to help Allison calm the fears of the remaining vendors. When Abner disappears before the police can arrest him, Becca is even more determined to do some sleuthing of her own to see if she can uncover the real murderer. Her fellow vendors may be more willing to confide in her than in the police.

This is the author's first cozy. It's better than many first-in-series books, but there isn't anything that makes it stand out in the crowd of other cozies with a food, farming, or rural theme. The sense of place isn't strong enough to draw readers, either. The book is set in South Carolina, but the farmer's market sounds like it could be in any rural community in the South or Midwest. By the end of the book, Becca has two potential romantic interests competing for her attention. Hopefully the author won't allow that situation to drag on as long as Joanne Fluke did with Hannah Swensen's two boyfriends in her long-running series. ( )
  cbl_tn | Dec 2, 2016 |
Our heroine Becca Robbins doesn’t follow the career path her parents had wished for her. But when she inherits a farm from an aunt and uncle, she follows her inner “farm girl.” Her specialty is large-scale production of jams, jellies and preserves for which she grows some of the fruit. She is a regular at a local farmers’ market that her twin sister manages. When a vendor is murdered at the market, it upsets the entire community.

Becca is particularly upset because her elderly friend Abner Justen is the #1 suspect and so she sets out to help the police solve the crime and find him innocent. IF he’s innocent. Becca’s sleuthing uncovers more than a few secrets about people she thought she knew. Readers can follow along with her while Becca ferrets out the truth.

Farm Fresh Murder is the first in a series, written in 2010. When I looked up the series, I was pleased to find there are six more! The Becca is a typical cozy heroine, looking for love and her place in the world. I found the story interesting and liked the balance of mystery and romance, with most of the story firmly in the “mystery” camp. ( )
  NewsieQ | Feb 29, 2016 |
Becca Robbins lives on her small farm in rural South Carolina where she grows berries and pumpkins for the preserves she makes for the local farmer's market. Twice married and twice divorced, Becca has no intention of romance in her life but finds herself instantly drawn to young and handsome Ian, an artist of whimsical sculptures who also has a stall at the market. Becca's sister, Allison, is the manager of the farmer's market and calls Becca early one morning obviously distraught and begs Becca to come to the market immediately. Once she arrives, Becca sees that a large crowd, including police, have gathered around the body of a man who has obviously died at the hands of a brutal murderer Becca, fancying herself an insightful person, decides to do some investigating on her own especially when the murder suspect is one of her market friends. Delving into the past of the suspect and murderer alike, Becca uncovers a decades old love story that implicates several of the other vendors, once of whom could possibly be Ian.

This is the first in a cozy mystery series "Farmer's Market Mystery". It was a pleasant enough read, the characters were likeable, but I don't think it would be a series I would continue.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Excellent book in the Farmers' Market series. Love the characters and the setting. Read these as fast as she writes them! ( )
  dd196406 | Nov 24, 2013 |
While I finished the book and was sufficiently surprised with the killers reveal, I don't think I will read the next in the series. The main character, Becca, was extremely wooden. She was too perfect, I think. I can't really put my finger on why I disliked her so much. She is supposedly very close to Abner, yet you don't get the impression that she is very upset by the possibility of him being the killer. Yes, she seeks out the true killer, but it was more for the farmer's market's reputation. ( )
  djenczyk | Aug 8, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425233871, Mass Market Paperback)

First in the Farmer's Market Mystery Series.

Becca Robins leads a simple life, making jams and preserves on her very own farm. But when there's a murder in her quaint little town, she puts herself in the line of fire to defend her friend's innocence-and goes from making jam to being in one.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:01 -0400)

"Becca Robins leads a simple life, making jams and preserves on her very own farm. But when there's a murder in her quaint little town, she puts herself in the line of fire to defend her friend's innocence-and goes from making jam to being in one" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,393,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible