How to Live: Or A Life of Montaigne in One…

How to Live: Or A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at… (2010)

by Sarah Bakewell

Recently added byRachelLeah, vira_t, plhgoes, rmdmphilosopher, avatiakh, private library, LitaVore, dwbbks, Mammouth2
    Chaucer's Tale: 1386 and the Road to Canterbury by Paul Strohm (dajashby)
    dajashby: A similar technique of using biography to shed light on the subject's literature.
    Instead of a Letter: A Memoir by Diana Athill (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Other memoirs by Athill also recommended - as she puts into practice the honest self-examination as recommended by Montaigne and Bakewell.

English (48)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  English (51)
I was skeptical of this book, but I fell in love with it in the end. I can't remember the last time I read a book about a sixteenth-century essayist and wanted to start over and reread it as soon as I finished it. I want to read Montaigne's Essays (I haven't read any of them since college) and then I want to read this again. Highly recommended. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
First a confession. I had never read Montaigne before I picked up this book. Read him? I don't remember even having heard of him. Not something to brag about, I guess, given all the literary luminaries quoted in this book who were much affected by his writing. Ms. Bakewell is convincing that "Montaigne: c'est moi!" happened to a lot of his readers, but reading about him via Bakewell didn't bring that sensation to me. Should I have read at least some of his essays first? Should she have included some?

I liked the way the author included a history of the times and how Montaigne fit in, or didn't. I especially liked how she followed Montaigne's influence on other thinkers (Pascal, Rousseau, Nietzsche, many others) right up to the 21st century. ( )
  LynnB | Nov 2, 2016 |
Bakewell is convincing that "Montaigne: c'est moi!" happened to a lot of his readers,but reading about him via Bakewell didn't bring that sensation to me. Perhaps I am too steeped in modern, terrific memoir and personal essay to think the sensation novel, or perhaps this biography is not the way to get at it.

Bakewell is approachable and her writing is easily at the trade/my level.

I'm keeping too many notebooks. My notes are in the blackbook at the other house. ( )
  torreyhouse | Jun 25, 2016 |
Finished May 25, 2016. Charming biography that deals with Montaigne's life and the treatment of his Essays in the centuries following his death. Recommended.
  davidsdunbar | Jun 7, 2016 |
Montaigne was a man before his time. He was a truly enlightened man with renaissance sensibilities and a voracious appetite for philosophizing and conversation. Ultimately, he was also a sort of Buddhist - a man who valued living in the present and not taking anything/anyone (including himself) too seriously. This biography is balanced, easy to read and makes you want to read Montaigne. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
It is hard to imagine a better introduction-or reintroduction- to Montaigne than Bakewell's book. It is easy to imagine small improvements, however.
added by Shortride | editHarper's Magazine, Loren Stein (pay site) (Jan 3, 2011)

Bakewell manages to glide gracefully across current editorial ranklings over his texts without taking sides. Central as the essays are to her own approach to his life, it is ultimately his life-loving ­vivacity that she succeeds in communicating to her readers: "What he left behind was all the better for being imperfect, ­ambiguous, inadequate and vulnerable to distortion. 'Oh Lord,' one might imagine Montaigne exclaiming, 'by all means let me be misunderstood.'"
added by peterbrown | editThe Observer, Ruth Scurr (Jan 24, 2010)

Bakewell, cleverly, has nonetheless managed to tap into the booming modern market for such “quick boosts” of wisdom (not all of them by any means as harmless as tips on eyebrow shaping), while actually writing a serious biography of a serious thinker from an age less like our own that we might solipsistically think. She’s not the first to take on such a task, of course. Superior literary lessons for life have become an established sub-genre of the self-help boom: How to Win Friends and Influence Readers of the Paris Review. Thus books such as Alain de Botton’s How Proust Can Change Your Life or John Armstrong’s Love, Life, Goethe have explored this territory in their different ways. Bakewell’s life of Montaigne combines some of the merits of de Botton’s knowing, entertaining intellectual squib and Armstrong’s thorough and absorbing biographical study. If her work enjoys a popular resonance greater than theirs—and I think it may—it’s most likely a tribute to its subject, Montaigne.

Sarah Bakewellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Simo
The twenty-first century is full of people who are full of themselves.

How does one live? How does one do the good or honorable thing, while flourishing and feeling happy? This question obsessed Renaissance writers, none more than Montaigne, perhaps the first truly modern individual. A nobleman, public official and wine-grower, he wrote free-roaming explorations of his thought and experience, unlike anything written before. He called them "essays," meaning "attempts" or "tries." Into them, he put whatever was in his head: his tastes in wine and food, his childhood memories, the way his dog's ears twitched when it was dreaming, as well as the appalling events of the religious civil wars raging around him. The Essays was an instant bestseller and, over four hundred years later, Montaigne's honesty and charm still draw readers. This spirited biography relates the story of his life by way of the questions he posed and the answers he explored.--From publisher description.… (more)

203 wanted4 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,716,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible