Shark vs. Train by Chris Barton

Shark vs. Train (2010)

by Chris Barton

Other authors: Tom Lichtenheld (Illustrator)

A picture book that looks at who would win between a shark and a train in many different scenarios.
  pcanoy | Jun 6, 2017 |
Summary:

A wonderfully silly cartoon book about two boys letting their imagination go wild in playing "Shark vs Train", who will win!? Basically every page is a different setting, exploring whether the shark or the train has the advantage in fantastically creative battle arenas, from walking a tightrope to jumping off a highdive to exploring outer space! The situations get crazier and crazier until the boys mother calls for them to come eat lunch.

Personal Comments / Reflection:

What a great book! I love the comic book cartoon pictures, and it's clear the focus is on the illustrations as the author incorporates minimal text that serves only to introduce each setting. I remember reading a lot of similar books when I was very little, and I have to admit I suffered a touch of nostalgia while reading. I love the cartoon illustrations, everything from the bright colors to their exaggerated expressions. It reminded me of reading the comic section of the Sunday morning newspaper, back when the morning news was actually made out of paper and delivered to your doorstep. Gosh I feel old :) ( )
  JeffBunte | Apr 22, 2017 |
I enjoyed reading Shark vs Train by Chris Barton, and I loved the wonderful illustrations that Tom Lichtenheld brought to the story. The tale itself is a unique one: animating two very different things and comparing their strong suits in various settings. The first few pages ask “who will win? Well, that depends on if they’re in the ocean… or on railroad tracks” (p. 4-7). The settings proposed for this imaginary fight between the train and the shark get more and more silly as the book goes on. My imagination was stretched while I was reading through the various scenarios, including: riding in hot air balloons, partaking in a pie eating contest, running lemonade stands, and performing in a piano recital. At each new scenario, I could imagine the performance of both the shark and the train and think about the pros and cons for their various character traits.
The story was fun and charming, and the illustrations brought it to life. Each page hosted a colorful, comical depiction of the shark and the train trying to best one another in the various situations named. These allowed me to better visualize the settings, making them more accessible. Lichtenheld also incorporated some text into his illustrations, using text bubbles and onomatopoeia labels to humanize the characters and make the situations seem more realistic. I enjoyed this addition, because it added a deeper layer of text to peruse.
The message of this story is: everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, which come out when put in different situations. ( )
  elaine.shea | Apr 2, 2017 |
The story is about two boys playing with their toys, shark and train. The two toys tell the story from their point of view as if it is actually happening. The story asks who would win, but points out that it depends on many things. This is because each toy has their strengths and weaknesses and sometimes things are not always fair. In the end the two boys put back the toys in the toy box to go have lunch. ( )
  rachlara | Mar 5, 2017 |
This book is the tale of a toy shark, a toy train and two boys with huge imaginations. So the shark and the train are in constant battle with each winning in their own elements. It is the craziest competition ever, when the terror of oceans, the shark, takes on the king of the tracks, the train. Through the story we find out who wins because both Shark and Train face off in situation from wacky to bizarre. However, find out who triumphs at burping, bowling, ping-png, piano playing, pie eating, and many more challenges. At the end there is a question who is the greatest, shark or train?
  hildaalcaraz | Feb 6, 2017 |
added by barbaravick | editKirkus

Chris Bartonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lichtenheld, TomIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

It is literately what the title says. As each character tries to play upon their strengths, they find there is no clear winner until the end when they are put back in the toy box, and they are right back where they started.

Shark VS. Train! WHO WILL WIN?!

If you think Superman vs. Batman would be an exciting matchup, wait until you see Shark vs. Train. In this hilarious and wacky picture book, Shark and Train egg each other on for one competition after another, including burping, bowling, Ping Pong, piano playing, pie eating, and many more! Who do YOU think will win, Shark or Train?

[star] "This is a genius concept." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review

[star] "Lichtenheld's snarling shark and grimacing train are definitely ready for a fight, and his scenarios gleefully play up the absurdity. The combatants' expressions are priceless when they lose. A glum train in smoky dejection, or a bewildered, crestfallen shark? It's hard to choose; both are winners." -- Kirkus, starred review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

A shark and a train compete in a series of contests on a seesaw, in hot air balloons, bowling, shooting baskets, playing hide-and-seek, and more.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,177,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible