dismiss

Shark vs. Train by Chris Barton

Shark vs. Train (2010)

by Chris Barton

Other authors: Tom Lichtenheld (Illustrator)

A shark and a train compete in a series of contests on a seesaw, in hot air balloons, bowling, shooting baskets, playing hide-and-seek, and more.

This book contains many word bubbles to show which character is speaking and different ending marks to show their tone of voice. The author uses onomatopoeia to give sound to the story. To help students become authors/illustrators, I like how the story ends with the young boys playing with their toy train and toy shark. That is a great idea to put a story together! It's just a story about two friend's playtime. ( )
  dbourgeois | Oct 3, 2019 |
It is comparing what would win in a fight a shark or a train and it does it in a very engaging and playful way.
  ghendel | Nov 28, 2018 |
From the beginning of this story, I thought it was going to be about the Shark and Train physically fighting. Yet, they found ways to participate in competitions to out do each other. This makes since because children are the ones playing make believe with them. Towards the end they find common activities that they are unable to do together and I liked that., even thought the competition and trash talking begins again soon after. I thought this would be a good read for kids because it can show them that even through you may be better at something than someone, they may have just as many talents as you in other areas. Don't under estimate people. ( )
  KrystalKeroack | Mar 18, 2018 |
Summary: this is a picture book about a shark and a train who egg each other on in different scenarios to see who will win in the end!

Classroom use: I think this book is pretty funny and students would really enjoy it! This could be another book to use when teaching opinion since you could ask students to share their opinions after each page when you show them the new scenario. ( )
  ayatsexton | Mar 17, 2018 |
In this epic showdown between a shark and a train, we are given a hilarious storyline of who the winner will be between two very different things. On each page we are given different scenarios of who would win in a certain situation, though each situation gears more towards one, or the other. For instance, there is a page on who would be a better carnival ride? The shark, or the train? Obviously the train would win due to the fact that no one would want to ride a shark. Each page had colorful illustrations that really brought the book alive, and we could feel the competition between the two subjects. Half-way through the book, the scenarios start to work against the shark and the train, which creates a moment of the two agreeing that they should maybe stop the competition. However, when we reach the end of the book, the two boys who are playing with the toys are forced to stop for lunch. Just when we think the shark and train are on the same page, they end the book with the competition alive when they exchange words on who will win the next time they play.

I thought this book was really funny, and it offers a good discussion on comparing and contrasting things. Each page was filled with awesome illustration that gave us a better look at the competition that was occurring. At the beginning of this book, the plot is immediately intensified with the obvious competition between the shark and the train. But, as we get further into the book, the scenarios get more ridiculous causing the shark and train to agree that they should maybe call it quits on the competition. Though the shark and train agreed that they should stop, the competition stays alive when we read the last page. I think this book is fun, and any child would enjoy it. I certainly did. ( )
  aquinn | Feb 6, 2018 |
"Lichtenheld's snarling shark and grimacing train are definitely ready for a fight, and his scenarios gleefully play up the absurdity. The combatants' expressions are priceless when they lose. A glum train in smoky dejection, or a bewildered, crestfallen shark? It's hard to choose; both are winners." -- Kirkus, starred review
added by barbaravick | editKirkus

Chris Bartonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lichtenheld, TomIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

It is literately what the title says. As each character tries to play upon their strengths, they find there is no clear winner until the end when they are put back in the toy box, and they are right back where they started.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,748,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible