Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by…

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes (1977)

by Eleanor Coerr

English (61)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (63)
I love this book and the way it gives an insight to children of how the world is impacted because of war. This is a way to incorporate discussions about the World Wars and the impacts they made on not only the United States but other countries as well. It has a wonderful story line and is easy to read yet engages critical thinking. ( )
  SarahA5752 | Sep 26, 2016 |
This is a great book and can be incorporated to teach about WWII or religion. However, it is sad and discusses death, so you would need to know your students before reading it in class.
  kmbate8772 | Sep 20, 2016 |
Heartbreaking historical fiction for ages 7-10. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Read in Primary School ( )
  Emilyrose1ew3 | Apr 6, 2016 |
Genre- Multicultural, non fiction
Age- A
Wow. I should start by saying that I was not familiar with the story of Sadako, and so I was really shocked by the ending. I have never read a picture book where the main character died at the end. I thought it was well handled, and I’ll admit to shedding a couple tears. I honestly don’t know why this book doesn’t have awards plastered across its cover. It was beautiful, the story, the illustrations, the wording, everything was a beautiful testament to a tragic true story. This might be a hard book to teach in a classroom, and on an unpopular subject. This does not mean that it shouldn’t be taught, quite the opposite in fact. This book is not anti-American but it deals with one of the worst things this country has ever done, and something that no one is proud of, regardless of their political feelings about the atom bomb. It is important to teach children that everything has consequences, and I think this book does that very well. An older student studying world history will learn about the war and the bomb, and I think this book shows how far reaching the consequences of that decision were. Overall I think that this is a difficult book to read, but that makes it even more necessary for students—and adults—to experience. ( )
  carleyroe | Mar 29, 2016 |

Eleanor Coerrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniau, MarcIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraisse, FrédériqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Himler, RonaldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mlawer, TeresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yamaguchi, MarianneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
That afternoon Chizuko was Sadako's first visitor.
Don't you remember that old story about the crane? Chizuko asked. It's supposed to live for a thousand years. If a sick person folds one thousand paper cranes, the gods will grant her wish and make her healthy again.

Born in Hiroshima in 1943, Sadako was the star of her school's running team, until the dizzy spells started and she was forced to face the hardest race of her life-the race against time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

Hospitalized with the dreaded atom bomb disease, leukemia, a child in Hiroshima races against time to fold one thousand paper cranes to verify the legend that by doing so a sick person will become healthy.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,240,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible