Hip Hop Dog by Chris Raschka

Hip Hop Dog

by Chris Raschka, Vladimir Radunsky (Illustrator)

2010 (1) 4-8 (1) author study (1) culture (2) dance (1) dated (1) dog (4) dogs (10) easy (3) fiction (2) fonts (1) funk (1) hip hop (7) k-3 (1) music (7) Non-Fiction/Fiction (1) picture book (6) poem (2) poetry (10) rap (9) read (2) read aloud (2) repetition (1) rhyme (2) rhymes (1) rhyming (4) rhythm (1) sound (1) urban (3) wordplay (3)

Hip Hop Dog was actually my favorite book that I've read this week. Maybe it is because I smiled the whole time I was reading this book. It could be used for a music class or maybe just a free time read. But it made me want to read it over and over again. It is about a rapping Hip Hop dog that is telling you about his life story through lyrics. As I started to read the book, I ended up rapping the book instead. It was very enjoyable. ( )
  lasmith7 | Oct 6, 2016 |
A fresh and lyrical narrative celebrating hip hop and the importance of self-esteem. I especially enjoyed Vladimir Radunsky's loose, spirited illustrations and the way that the text spirals around the pages and becomes bigger and bolder as the story progresses. Since hip hop is nothing without the beat, this is a book to practice before reading aloud to achieve the proper rhythmic delivery.
  cameroneshaw | Aug 9, 2015 |
This is a rap from an underdog trying to find his place in the world. He talks about his litter, other dogs, and who he believes he is. Every other page has the words written in a circular swirl using many superlatives.
  mefellers | Aug 4, 2015 |
This poetry book is fun and fresh. A stray dog raps about his troubles and his triumphs in this beautifully illustrated book for young children.
  songshu | Jul 16, 2015 |
The story of a dog who loves hip hop. As a homeless dog who is never adopted, he compares himself to other breeds of dogs and tries to make something of himself using his unique talents. Interesting parallel to the birth of hip hop and rap music - lyrics often communicate deep social or identity issues masked by a powerful beat. Would be very interesting to read aloud since the text conveys the rhythm of hip hop but also mimics the howling of a dog. ( )
  jcarroll12 | Jul 1, 2014 |

Chris Raschkaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Radunsky, VladimirIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

From top dogs Chis Raschka and Vladimir Radunsky comes an uplifting tale of canine self-reliance told in acrobatic, infectious rhyme.

I'm the zoom-est and the boom-est, spread no gloom-est, say no doom-est. I'm the top-est, never stop-est, Boston Pop-est, be be bop-est. I'm the jazz-est, razzmatazz-est, dazzle dazz-est, most pizzazz-est.

Think I kinda like it as the Hip Hop Dog.

In an empowering story of an underdog who finds his voice and sense of self-worth through music, here is one hip dog who starts out as a dejected mutt but finds his groove—and his place in the world—through hip hop.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

A neglected dog finds his purpose through rapping and rhyming.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,146,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible