Dead Center by David Rosenfelt

Dead Center (2006)

by David Rosenfelt

Recently added byHyzenthlayK9, private library, vrullan, dyanny66, librarymary09

Great murder mystery, couldm't put it down. Rosenfelt's books are fast paced. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
A relatively entertaining audiobook, but with a host of plot-related flaws. Right off the bat, I felt that the main character, Andy Carpenter, suffered from a bad case of Mary Sue disease: wealthy, powerful, popular, and irresistible to women,he is also a media darling and (at least, so we are told) a fantastic defence lawyer. We are introduced to him when he is still reeling from the loss of his romantic interest and has been celibate for four whole months! Gasp! Tragedy! And clearly all the girl's fault! What in his misogynistic mind is a horrific and coldblooded betrayal was actually her finding her perfect job in her own community where she grew up, and him being unwilling to move to be with her. Because god forbid that a man, even one with $25M to spare, ever make any career or location sacrifice for a woman.

Mystery-wise, the evildoer is awfully obvious, the plot requires a large concatenation of circumstances, and I felt like we had a bad case of Did Not Do The Research. There is a nearby oh-so-scary religious cult which is clearly a biased blend of scientology and Mormonism, a rather pathetically unrealistic set of court scenes, and a far too naive defence attorney as the main character. That perhaps irritated me most; detection and initial determination of guilt before accepting a case...well, that isn't how the justice system works, or, indeed, is supposed to work. Fortunately, the narrator's cheery and self-deprecating cynicism, likeable side characters, and a dog elevated this from abysmal to relatively enjoyable. The narrator is not half as funny as he thinks he is, but I'm a sucker for that type of narrator affect. In addition, the much- maligned ex is on the scene, and the narrator is far less bitter and hateful to her in person than in his thoughts. Last, I listened to this on audio and I always get a kick out of anything that Grover Gardner reads. ( )
  page.fault | Sep 21, 2013 |
Number 5 in the series. Set in Wisconsin a change from NJ but with all the usual characters.
This series is best read over time not back to back. ( )
  librarian1204 | Apr 26, 2013 |
My Blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
I enjoyed reading this book. This is another one that through me a curve ball. While I wasn't completely mislead, one or two people turned out to be innocent when I would have bet strongly they were behind it all. Great book to listen too, it was humorous and fun. This is the 5th book in the series and only the 2nd one I've read.

Andy Carpenter is a lawyer in New Jersey, he happens to be rich to most of his lawyering tends to be pretending to be busy and being an on-air expert to TV stations. When out of the blue his ex-girlfriend calls up from Wisconsin and tells him she arrested a boy for murder even though she doesn't believe he did it.

Andy is put in a tight spot, he's still upset with her for dumping him and he really doesn't want to go to Wisconsin. On the other hand, he abhors miscarriage of justice.

Throwing a wrench into the mix is a small but strongly held religion in the nearby town where the murdered girls were from. Andy has a hard time penetrating the protective barriers they all put up. Pretty soon things start to snowball and Andy might be lucky to live through the mess. ( )
  readafew | Dec 12, 2012 |
To Debbie
Do you get spiritual credit for celibacy if it's involuntary?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446614513, Mass Market Paperback)

After Laurie Collins left him and headed west, New Jersey defense attorney Andy Carpenter didn't expect to ever see her again. So he's shocked when his ex-girlfriend appears on TV--and then calls him pleading for his help. Two coeds in Wisconsin have been found brutally stabbed to death. As the town's acting police chief, Laurie had to arrest a young college student with a carful of bloodstains who argued with one of the victims just before her death. Yet Laurie strongly believes that the suspect, Jeremy Davidson, is innocent.

Trading the refineries and factories of Paterson for the frozen pastures of Findlay, Wisconsin, Andy soon finds himself in a small town handling a big-time double homicide case. He looks into Jeremy's romance with one of the victims--and the possible involvement of a bizarre religious cult--one that may sanction the most unholy, and vicious, of acts.

While Andy tries to save Jeremy, make sense of his love life, and find a decent pizza for his beloved dog, Tara, the secrets of an ultra-religious community begin to rain down on him like bricks from a cracked fortress. But as Edgar®-nominated Rosenfelt proves to us once again, the path to the truth is littered with lies and misdirection. And before it's all over, the unexpected is the only thing Andy can count on.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:05 -0400)

"Coasting on his inheritance of $22 million, New Jersey defense attorney Andy Carpenter is not inclined to take on any cases--until his ex-girlfriend, Laurie Collins, calls from the Midwest pleading for his help. Trading the factories of Paterson for the frozen pastures of Findlay, Wisconsin, Andy finds himself in a small town handling a big-time double homicide case. But while he tries to save a young suspect, make sense of his love life, and find a decent pizza for his beloved dog, Tara, Andy uncovers the bizarre workings of a mysterious ultra-religious community. Now he must find the connections between the murders and the cult, or more lives will be in jeopardy--including his own"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,474,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible