I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey by…

I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey (2010)

by Izzeldin Abuelaish

What an incredible story. I'd like to thank the author so much for sharing it. I'd also like to thank him for not giving up on humanity as he lived through it.

I won't provide a complete summary of the book, you can read that elsewhere, but this is the true-life story of Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish who tells of his life in Gaza. His life of love and loss from his struggle to educate himself as a child, to gaining his degree in medicine, into fatherhood, to where his life is now. All of this while calling home a country whose borders are controlled by a government who hates him, just because he was born on the wrong side of that border.

Whether or not you share his faith, or agree with his lifestyle, I hope we can all learn a lesson or two from Dr. Abuelaish, and perhaps also put into perspective some of our own struggles, frustrations, and anxieties.

This is a First-Reads review of an ARC edition. ( )
  snotbottom | Sep 19, 2018 |
To hear the Gazan experience from a doctor who had been born destitute in the Jabalia refugee camp, to follow his opportunities and setbacks, is a rare gift. This book doesn't sugarcoat the Arab-Israeli tensions. In fact, the author teaches quite a bit of history, and sheds much-needed light on the internal political workings of Hamas and Fatah. His is not a politically charged mission. It's a humanitarian mission to show that we often have more in common with our enemy than we think. The road to peace begins with listening to what we do not understand, listening in spite of what we are afraid to hear. He lives and writes in the paradox of the horrible hope for Mid-East peace. Hope for a better world. Horror for the incalculable loss and suffering which will continue to spur the disenfranchised to either acceptance and change or revenge and retribution. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
The author of this book has an amazing story. He grew up in a refugee camp in the Gaza Strip and against all odds and eventually graduates from medical school. He then works at a hospital in Israel, while continuing to live in Gaza and go through the checkpoints regularly. He loses his wife to leukemia and just over a month later three of his daughters and his niece are killed when Israeli tanks target their home. The author has so much tragedy in his life, but he retains hope through it all and never resorts to hate. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
  OberlinSWAP | Jul 21, 2015 |
Heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time. ( )
  Nero56 | Apr 6, 2015 |

Izzeldin Abuelaishprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glezerman, MarekForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my parents- my mother, Dalal, and my father, Mohammad
To the memory of my wife, Nadia, my daughters, Bessan, Mayar and Aya, and my niece Noor
To children everywhere. Their only weapons are love and hope....
It was as close to heaven and as far from hell as I could get that day, an isolated stretch of beach just four kilometres from the misery of Gaza City, where waves roll up on the shore as if to wash away yesterday and leave a fresh start for tommorow.
...you shouldn't hate something you don't know, because it may turn out to be the bearer of your greatest fortune.
If I could know that my daughters were the last sacrifice on the road to peace between Palestinians and Israelis, then I would accept their loss.

By turns inspiring and heart-breaking, hopeful and horrifying, I Shall Not Hate is Izzeldin Abuelaish's account of an extraordinary life. A Harvard-trained Palestinian doctor who was born and raised in the Jabalia refugee camp in the Gaza Strip and "who has devoted his life to medicine and reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians" (New York Times), Abuelaish has been crossing the lines in the sand that divide Israelis and Palestinians for most of his life - as a physician who treats patients on both sides of the line, as a humanitarian who sees the need for improved health and education for women as the way forward in the Middle East. And, most recently, as the father whose daughters were killed by Israeli soldiers on January 16, 2009, during Israel's incursion into the Gaza Strip. His response to this tragedy made news and won him humanitarian awards around the world. Instead of seeking revenge or sinking into hatred, Abuelaish called for the people in the region to start talking to each other. His deepest hope is that his daughters will be "the last sacrifice on the road to peace between Palestinians and Israelis."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:28 -0400)

Harvard-trained Palestinian doctor Izzeldin Abuelaish's recounts his extraordinary life of devotion to medicine and reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Izzeldin Abuelaish's book I Shall Not Hate was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,993,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible