Goethe's Faust: Part One and Sections from…

Goethe's Faust: Part One and Sections from Part Two

by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Other authors: Walter A. Kaufmann (Editor)

The best translation of Faust available, this volume provides the original German text and its English counterpart on facing pages. Walter Kaufmann's translation conveys the poetic beauty and rhythm as well as the complex depth of Goethe's language. Includes Part One and selections from Part Two.… (more)

Never knew it was a poem. Very nicely translated. 80 years and one pretty girl doesn't seem like enough of a second life to live to trade for eternal damnation. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Just starting out by saying this edition that I found is the Bayard Taylor edition. It's a reprint from 1912 and so badly battered that I feel afraid to read later on. It almost looks as though a dog got at it or something, which makes me sad. Maybe I will buy a new one for my library...

Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe is a retelling in itself of a classic German myth of a scholar that sells his soul to Mephistopheles for worldly knowledge and pleasures. This version maintains the original poetic meters and every line rhymes. If I were more creative, I would have done something like that in this review, but sadly it seems that I don't have the talent. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
A man, perhaps what we would today call a scientist, but then was an alchemist, becomes disillusioned with life. As in the book of Job, God allows Satan (Mephistopheles), to have a crack at him. Sadly, this being the First part only, I'm not sure of the outcome of this experiment.

Having heard of Faust referred to through the years, I thought it was high time I read the original source. I did not expect to be as drawn into the story as I was. For one thing, it was written in German, which I do not read. The translator, Peter Salm, did a fine job of making the tale readable while still keeping a sense of the poetry. The extensive footnotes at the end of the book were very helpful in understanding the historic words, places and peoples. I would have to be a scholar of the times to understand every bit of satire and humor within the tale. As it was, I had a glimmer of understanding, which was enough to help me enjoy it. ( )
  MrsLee | Feb 11, 2017 |
If you like Symphonic metal music, I suggest looking up a band called Kamelot, and get the Black Halo album.. which is not-so-loosely based on this story... just rips your heart to shreds, just like the book, both in the good and bad way... love love love it ( )
  Lisaandrea12 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Do most people even know the second act exists? That changes everything. Also the Germans get to call him Mephistopheles, which is way better than Mephisto. Someday I'll read the left side of this book, I swear. ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |

Goethe, Johann Wolfgang vonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaufmann, Walter A.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Frieda and Eva Wunderlich in gratitude
Again you show yourselves, you wavering Forms,

Revealed, as you once were, to clouded vision.
Introduction:  Goethe is generally recognized as the greatest German of all time, and Faust as his most important single work.
This is a bilingual edition (german - english) edited by Walter Kaufman, and contains part 1 and selections of part 2. Please do not combine with other editions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,629,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible