Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh

Archangel's Consort

by Nalini Singh

Series: Guild Hunter (3)

An ancient and malevolent female immortal is rising in Manhattan to reclaim her son, the archangel Raphael. Only one thing stands in her way: Elena Deveraux, a vampire-hunter-and Raphael's lover.

Listened to audio narrated very well by Justine Eyre. An Ancient is waking and vampires and angels are losing control. As well as Archangel games, murder and Elena's father messing with her, family secrets revealed and we get a peek at Elena's half sisters. Raphael and Elena work hard to keep their relationship solid.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Archangel's Consort is the third installment, in this series. This book continues with Raphael and Elena's story. It continues off shortly after the second book. Both Raphael and Elena are having to deal with quite a bit all at once. Raphael's mother, the oldest and one of the most dangerous of their kind is starting to wake up with dangerous consequences. Elena is still dealing with nightmares of her childhood and having to face her past, and still training and making an effort to gain as much strength and agility as she can before they face Raphael's mother, because they both realize she will wake up and when she does who knows what her plans will be for them.

A lot of women have trouble with their mothers-in-law.”
Raphael’s look was priceless. “My mother is an insane archangel.

What was quite interesting about this one, was how we see more elements of this world come into play, a bit of focus on their relationship but not as strongly as the second book. We see both Raphael and Elena individually battle their own demons. What was most vital about this book was how at the end of the day, for Raphael and Elena all that mattered was that they stood together. This has been their moto ever since they fell in love with each other. They both know they with Elena still weak and considered a "babe" of their kind, their chances of survival isn't super high. But we learn some remarkable insights into their bond to each other, insights neither of them or the readers realize until the end when their relationship is tested in a very brutal way, but at the same time we see how powerful and healing their love can be for each other.

“For the first time in forever, he was stunned to silence. Not by her words, but by the tenderness in her hands, the worry in her eyes. He was an archangel. He’d been wounded far, far worse and shrugged it off. But then, there had been no woman with sun kissed by the sunset and eyes of storm gray to tear into him for daring to get himself hurt.”

Not just physically, but emotionally and mentally as well. What has been remarkable about this series, was seeing how Raphael and Elena have been dealing with conflicts and challenges both separately and collectively.

Even as she spoke, silver blue flashed on her other side and then Illium was standing beside her, his wing touching Elena's in an intimacy that made Raphael raise an eyebrow. Illium's lips curved in a wicked smile that did little to hide the intensity of his emotions. I would not watch you die again, Sire. His veins stood out against his skin as he gripped the wrist of one hand with the other.

Raphael met those eyes of gold that had stood beside him for centuries. If I had done so, I would have gone knowing you would keep my heart safe.

Illium's gaze went to Elena. Always

We see more of the supporting characters and a reunion of Elena and her best friend Sara with her husband and their little girl---it almost made me cry. Because even though they have been in contact, they haven't physically seen each other and you see how much Elena cares for this family when her own have practically abandoned her, but this family is the one that she created and built and you see how much it matters to her. Loved every moment and delicious detail of this book. I am curious to see where the series goes from here. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 30, 2019 |
Archangel's Consort
4.5 Stars

Elena and Raphael return to New York only to discover that disaster looms on the horizon. A sleeping angel is on the verge of waking and causing untold chaos in the world. Moreover, some unknown and malevolent force is driving vampires to bloodlust and the human population is easy prey. Are these two occurrences connected and will Raphael and Elena survive the consequences?

Another incredible installment.

I'm always amazed anew at Singh's fantastic world building skills. No detail is too small or too insignificant and every element comes together to form a captivating backdrop to Elena and Raphael's breathtaking romance.

Elena is still struggling with her angelic abilities and although new information is provided on the origins of her guild hunter skills, something tells me that there is still a long way to go before Singh gives us all of the particulars.

Elena and Raphael’s relationship is exceedingly entertaining. Their love for one another is obvious in the little things they do for each other, but they are still working out the kinks of being a couple and have yet to become a truly complimentary pair.

The mystery of the archangel’s rising and the vampire attacks is interesting although the twist is rather predictable (Lijuan’s attempts to set Calliane up where completely transparent). Nevertheless, the climax is exciting and there were moments that had me truly worried about the outcome.

Dmitri’s book is next and I am looking forward to seeing things from his perspective. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Audio Review: When I read Archangel's Consort it was just ok, but the audiobook brought so much more out and I liked the audio more then the book.
Audio: 4 Stars.

~ 3 Archangel’s Consort Stars ~

Archangel’s Consort is book three in the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh.

Archangel’s Consort was not as engaging as the previous two. It felt a little slow, not as action packed, and the build up for the ending turned out to be rather disappointing. Their where also a little to many sex scenes which lead to some boredom, not because they weren’t hot or written well, they where; just that their was too many of them.

As for the Ancient who is awakening. I was expecting a little more on this front. We get a lot of build up along the way and a confrontation at the end, but it was acutely rather small and anticlimactic.

I do like how the relationship between Elena and Raphael is developing. It’s not an easy perfect relationship, they argue and have disagreements, but they always find a way to resolve or make a compromise. I like this, how it shows that although they love each other it doesn’t automatically make it perfect and easy.

Elena is also learning to navigate the world of angels and vampires. She is doing her best to get up to speed and become stronger. Raphael’s character is becoming more “mortal” rather then an arrogant archangel. I like how the author is giving us more on both Elena and Raphael showing the changes they are going threw as they evolve/develop.

The world building is spectacular and I am in LOVE with the Seven. We get more of the Seven. They are mysterious, sexy, and lethal. Their are so many questions about them and hopeful we will get their stories one day. The character development is amazing with the district personalities and realistic dialogue. We also explore the immortality, though it’s highly sought after, it’s not always everything.

Archangel’s Consort wasn’t what I have come to expect and love from Singh, but it was still worth reading. This is still one of my favorite series and I can’t wait to pick up the next book.

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
Nalini is a great world builder. I like this series almost as much as the Psy world. ( )
  nautilus | Sep 20, 2017 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To everyone who has ever dreamed of flying and to all of you who have flown with me.
Swathed in the silken shadows of deepest night, New York was the same . . .and altered beyond compare.

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux and her lover, the lethally beautiful archangel Raphael, have returned home to New York only to face an uncompromising new evil. A vampire has attacked a girls' school---the assault one of sheer, vicious madness---and it is only the first act. Rampant bloodlust takes vampire after vampire, threatening to make the streets run with blood. Then Raphael himself begins to show signs of an uncontrolled rage, as inexplicable storms darken the city skyline and the earth itself shudders. The omens are suddenly terrifyingly clear. An ancient and malevolent immortal is rising. The violent winds whisper her name: Caliane. She has returned to reclaim her son, Raphael. Only one thing stands in her way: Elena, the consort who must be destroyed.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,671,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible