Archangel's Consort

by Nalini Singh

Series: Guild Hunter (3)

An ancient and malevolent female immortal is rising in Manhattan to reclaim her son, the archangel Raphael. Only one thing stands in her way: Elena Deveraux, a vampire-hunter-and Raphael's lover.

The Guild Hunter series has a really interesting story arc to it. I find all of the character's to be very intriguing even the ones that I hate. Nalini Singh can always be trusted to write a series that has engaging characters and a full and fascinating story. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
This was another great entry into the Archangel series. The romance was strong as Elena and Raphael are learning to forge a relationship that will last for a vast period of time. Given that they are both very strong people, the relationship includes quite a number of battles. He wants to protect her; she was to be seen as an independent equal.

Trouble is brewing too. Vampires are doing unexpected things. Lijuan is still making trouble. Other cadre members are behaving in uncharacteristic ways. Even the weather is becoming violent and unpredictable. The signs are that Raphael's mother might be awakening. The main question is whether or not her long sleep has restored her sanity. Raphael has grown stronger in the almost 1000 years that she has been asleep. But is he strong enough to kill his mother and, even if he is, can he?

This conflict is paralleled by Elena's own family issues. Her mother committed suicide after Elena's older sisters were brutalized and murdered by a monster. Elena father has disinherited her. There only contact is when he decides to try to hurt her again. But Elena finds out that one of her young half-sisters is also a hunter. She needs to deal with her father to do what is best for her young sister.

This was a taut, emotional story. It was fascinating watching the relationship between Elena and Raphael grow and strengthen. This was a very good paranormal romance. I recommend it but also recommend that readers begin with the first book in the series rather than this one. Readers need the back-story to fully appreciate this episode. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 27, 2021 |
Audio Review: When I read Archangel's Consort it was just ok, but the audiobook brought so much more out and I liked the audio more then the book.
Audio: 4 Stars.

~ 3 Archangel’s Consort Stars ~

Archangel’s Consort is book three in the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh.

Archangel’s Consort was not as engaging as the previous two. It felt a little slow, not as action packed, and the build up for the ending turned out to be rather disappointing. Their where also a little to many sex scenes which lead to some boredom, not because they weren’t hot or written well, they where; just that their was too many of them.

As for the Ancient who is awakening. I was expecting a little more on this front. We get a lot of build up along the way and a confrontation at the end, but it was acutely rather small and anticlimactic.

I do like how the relationship between Elena and Raphael is developing. It’s not an easy perfect relationship, they argue and have disagreements, but they always find a way to resolve or make a compromise. I like this, how it shows that although they love each other it doesn’t automatically make it perfect and easy.

Elena is also learning to navigate the world of angels and vampires. She is doing her best to get up to speed and become stronger. Raphael’s character is becoming more “mortal” rather then an arrogant archangel. I like how the author is giving us more on both Elena and Raphael showing the changes they are going threw as they evolve/develop.

The world building is spectacular and I am in LOVE with the Seven. We get more of the Seven. They are mysterious, sexy, and lethal. Their are so many questions about them and hopeful we will get their stories one day. The character development is amazing with the district personalities and realistic dialogue. We also explore the immortality, though it’s highly sought after, it’s not always everything.

Archangel’s Consort wasn’t what I have come to expect and love from Singh, but it was still worth reading. This is still one of my favorite series and I can’t wait to pick up the next book.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
I mean, I know the point of a lot of urban fantasy is the eroticism, but I would like more world-building and less nipples now. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
Listened to audio narrated very well by Justine Eyre. An Ancient is waking and vampires and angels are losing control. As well as Archangel games, murder and Elena's father messing with her, family secrets revealed and we get a peek at Elena's half sisters. Raphael and Elena work hard to keep their relationship solid.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To everyone who has ever dreamed of flying and to all of you who have flown with me.
Swathed in the silken shadows of deepest night, New York was the same . . .and altered beyond compare.

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux and her lover, the lethally beautiful archangel Raphael, have returned home to New York only to face an uncompromising new evil. A vampire has attacked a girls' school---the assault one of sheer, vicious madness---and it is only the first act. Rampant bloodlust takes vampire after vampire, threatening to make the streets run with blood. Then Raphael himself begins to show signs of an uncontrolled rage, as inexplicable storms darken the city skyline and the earth itself shudders. The omens are suddenly terrifyingly clear. An ancient and malevolent immortal is rising. The violent winds whisper her name: Caliane. She has returned to reclaim her son, Raphael. Only one thing stands in her way: Elena, the consort who must be destroyed.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,435,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible