Twilight's Dawn by Anne Bishop

Twilight's Dawn

by Anne Bishop

I only read the first three stories:

Winsol Gifts - 3.5 stars
Shades of Honor - 5 stars
Family - 4 Stars
The High Lord's Daughter - DNR ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
This was a fantastic set of novellas set in the Black Jewel series world. I absolutely loved it. I think having reached the end I am ready to buy the series now. I don't need every book but the first three, and this one for sure are keepers. They're different, sometimes a little ridiculous yes, but daring and most of all they are great fun. The characters are what makes it for me and the clever writing behind those characters makes them what they are. Strangely enough I never did invest much in the women, just the men. But then, the men are more than enough to keep me entertained. There are still three books in the series for me, those that were only loosely centered around Daemon and Lucivar. I'll most likely see about reading them sooner rather than later. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 30, 2017 |
Twilight's Dawn is the 9th book in Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series. This is a collection of four novellas that feature characters from the series. I would recommend having read the main trilogy and Tangled Webs for a full understanding of the characters and the events they've experienced prior to reading this collection. The remaining books are helpful in regards to timelines but not required to enjoy these stories.

The first story is Winsol Gifts. Daemon and Jeanelle are settling into married life and it will be their first Winsol together without a crisis to deal with. This was a sweet, day in the life story that shows how the SaDiablo family is when the Realms are at peace and what it means for the Blood to celebrate their version of the winter solstice.

Next is Shades of Honor. Set not long after events in Tangled Webs, Surreal has returned to Ebon Rih still recovering from her wounds. The visit is meant to help her heal both physically and mentally. When her former lover Prince Falonar begins to challenge her family's rule on the region it may be just enough for Surreal's mind to begin walking the paths to the Twisted Kingdom. This one has all the intensity and drama that I love about the Black Jewels books. Lucivar is shown in his full Eyrien Warlord Price glory. We're given more insight into Eyrien society and what it means to be a warrior in peace time. The story stays focused on Lucivar and Surreal, which I enjoyed as their character interplay is a lot of fun to read.

The third novella is Family. This one takes places 10 years later. Lady Sylvia, Queen of Dhemlan, is taking her sons on a trip to see another blood family, but not all is what it seems. A serial killer with a penchant for young boys has laid a trap for the family. Things quickly turn vicious. This one reminds me of Daughter of the Blood in style with regards to the level of violence and it's target being children. It is one of the shorter stories so the mystery is solved fairly quickly and the story shifts to focus on the Saetan/Sylvia dynamic.

The final story is The High Lord's Daughter. This is a story that spans several decades. I cannot talk about this one without major spoilers so click the tag at your own risk. It begins one year after Jeanelle's death as Daemon is still coming to grips with the loss. As readers we always knew this day would come, he being one of the long lived races and she is not, but I never expected Bishop to write about it. I started to tear up within the first couple pages and the story does not pull any emotional punches. Jeanelle left Daemon with the instruction to "take a year to grieve, and when that year is over, promise me you'll take up your life again." While Daemon does as instructed and involves himself in the world around him, he does not open himself back up to love. A little time passes and then we also witness Saeten pass into the darkness with Daemon's help. Again, never something I thought Bishop would ever write. With some help, and several centuries for his heart to heal, Dameon finds out that, yes, he can live life to its fullest and love again though it will never be the same as what he had with Jeanelle. It is tragic, hopeful and ended much different than I was expecting even after I read the blurb on the back of the book. It definitely feels like the end to the series and quite a bittersweet ending at that. Bishop has written on her blog that she may come back to the series again at some point but I wouldn't be surprised if that's not for a long time if ever.

I am torn. I think this is a great read for fans of the series but I can also see that last story really pissing fans off. Overall I enjoyed the stories and was moved by them. Read that final story at your own risk. ( )
  Narilka | Jul 7, 2016 |
The last book in The Black Jewels series was to my surprise a collection of four stories. They weren't short and left me bittersweet and teary eyed.

Winsol Gifts acts as a warm up reacquainting us with Daemon, Jaenelle, Lucivar, Surreal and The High Lord as they noisily and happily celebrate Winsol together and apart. There is a bit of sadness in this story but mostly it's very positive.

Shades of Honor (is perhaps my favourite story) takes us back to Lucivar and Falonar's confrontation. And boy was I ever so glad to return to Lucivar's bloodthirsty brilliance! This story was magnificent, and I especially enjoyed its ending... Let's just say that pitiful bastard Falonar with his racial prejudice and horrible superiority got what he deserved in the end.

In Family the tone of the book turns even darker. Queen Sylvia and her sons are attacked, and she is gravely injured by a serial killer hunting Blood children in Little Terreille. It's up to Daemon and strangely enough his mother, Tersa, to catch the killer and exact a very brutal justice. All I can say is, no one messes with Tersa! Also, Saetan gets his happy ending after a fashion.

At last, by The High Lord's Daughter I was almost bawling my eyes out. *wails* Everyone dies! (well, not everyone, but enough characters I love do) It's a story of Daemon year after Jaenelle's death and him finding unexpected happiness. It's the longest story in the book because it describes quite a few years of Daemon's life. I was crying, and even thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. A bittersweet ending, but was it necessary? I'm not sure. I would have been happier without reading it. Probably.

I can't believe how invested I became in The Black Jewels and how much I wanted to stay in this world, peeps. Overall, an excellent instalment of the series. Highly recommended! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Confession time: I've not read any of the previous books in Anne Bishop's 'Black Jewels'' series. I'm just looking for audiobooks to listen to while I make Christmas gifts. I enjoyed her 'The Others' books, so I checked out 'Twilight's Dawn'.

Winsol GIfts': *** Got a little too cutsey at times, but not a bad look into a winter solstice (?) celebration. Princes Daemon and Lucivar have trouble figuring out what to give their father for Winsol. What do you give a 50,000-year-old man? Grandfather's advice on how to safeguard fragile gifts might be useful to parents of small children.

'Shades of Honor': Would that what happens to Surreal in this story could happen for all who carry darkness in them. As for Falonar, her ex-lover, he would have been quite at home among the SS officers in Nazi Germany. Personally, I think a real sadist would have let the first choice of punishment stand. Lucivar gets to strut his stuff on the killing field in this one. Good advice for persons who get a bad injury is included.

'Family':**** As in the second story, this story seems to have a considerable amount of wish fulfillment in it. I could have done without one of the things that happens to Queen Sylvia. On the other hand, I'm a former victim of [mild] childhood sexual abuse. I have no problem with the fate of the homical pedophile.

'The High Lord's Daughter': I've read some of the reviews and the description at Ms. Bishop's website, so I'm not bothering with this one. After all, my local library may get more of the Black Jewel books on CD. ( )
  JalenV | Nov 14, 2014 |
For all the readers who made this journey with me
Daemon Sadi, the Black Jeweled Warlord Prince of Dhemlan, crossed the bridge that marked the boundary between private property and public land.

Revisits the world of the Black Jewels with four new novellas set in the Blood realm featuring Daemon, the Black Jeweled Warlord Prince of Dhemlan, Queen Sylvia, and Surreal SaDiablo.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,984,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible