Red Glove

by Holly Black

Series: The Curse Workers (2)

When federal agents learn that seventeen-year-old Cassel Sharpe, a powerful transformation worker, may be of use to them, they offer him a deal to join them rather than the mobsters for whom his brothers work.

Throughout the whole book I was completely captivated. What would happen next? Lila was worked, Phillip was murdered, the Fed's want Cassel! This book was a total page-turner and I absolutely loved it! So why does it only get four stars? Because of Lila and Cassel's relationship, by the last page I felt empty inside. Lila is mobster royalty and Cassel works for the Fed's now. Lila hates him. There is nothing he could ever say to fix their relationship and they both know it. The books ends and it's over! I thought the plot of the story was very interesting with no boring slow parts. In the beginning, Phillip is murdered and the Fed's have footage of a mysterious woman with red gloves. Who is this woman and what reason did she have for killing Cassel's older brother? Personal reasons? Or maybe a hired killer? The Fed's want Cassel to solve a bunch of murders all while Cassel has to deal with the Zacharov's, family issues, school, friends, HEX, and of course destroying the evidence all while trying to uncover his past that Barron made him forget. There was action, romance, and a touch of hilarity that never seems to leave Cassel's side. That, along with his 2 trusty friends, made this book a must-read for any book lover! ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
This second novel of the Curse Workers series wasn't quite as compelling as tje first (it's hard to top being introduced to a whole new world of magic), but it was still quite entertaining. In this book Cassell spends much of the time searching for his brother's murderer, which drives the overall plot along quite well, but what elevates it from a simple "who-done-it" is the added tension between Cassell becoming a member of the Zacharov crime family or helping the FBI. He's a smart kid, so he managed to con everyone (well, almost everyone) into getting what he wants - a clean bill from the Feds for his unwitting past crimes and to stay at his private school with his friends. The only person who doesn't quite fall in line is Lena, who takes her first steps towards becoming leader of the Zacharovs, so I can see some major drama pending there. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
They killed Lila's character (though she did return at the end, she was like a different person for the rest of the book - none of her standard meanness, which makes sense with the curse and all, but felt like the author just killed her personality. Which would be great if executed well, so that I would feel bad/sad because Lila's personality had been killed by Cassel's mother's curse, but instead I just was left wondering why he still cared about her and didn't care nearly as much about her as I would if she were more like last time.
Much slower pace than the first book, which was a race. This time, the author takes time to put in a lot more of the vie quotidienne into the plot, which loses my interest. Also, I missed the Grandpa in this book - his role became miniscule.
This book was a lot of angsty teenage romance mixed in with a plot that lacked drive and missed out on a lot of complex, interesting characters from the first novel. The first half of the book definitely carried me a lot more than the second half. By the second half, I was just waiting for Cassel to magically fix the messy situation in a Cassel-y way and to see how Lila and his relationship turns out.
Scenes/parts I really did enjoy: the scene where Cassel spends time with Lila's dad, the protest and the group's subsequent imprisonment. The continued world building was definitely a plus.
But I don't think anyone wanted to read a scene where Lila breaks down crying in the shower because she's SO IN LOVE with Cassel and slept with Greg to get over him. The end of Lila's character arc this book was long awaited. ( )
  amberdahlwijk | Jan 21, 2021 |
I haven't read [b:White Cat|6087756|White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)|Holly Black|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1331930853s/6087756.jpg|6264661] since it came out, but I know I liked it. I'm so glad I picked this up, because it was a fantastic read. I forgot how detailed and realistic this world is, and I forgot how fantastically the bigotry is portrayed, and I forgot how much I like Cassel's friend Sam. I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
re-read
  Tip44 | Jun 30, 2020 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eisenberg, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Is contained in

For the little white cat that appeared on our doorstep just after I started this series.  She only lived a short while and she is much missed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,422,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible