The Honk and Holler Opening Soon by Billie…

The Honk and Holler Opening Soon

by Billie Letts

1,043None8,071 (3.75)14

Another wholesome down-home novel by Billie Letts. After reading Where the Heart Is, I started looking to read everything else she wrote. The Honk and Holler Opening Soon shows off Letts' specialty; quirky, loveable characters. They are all broken in some way, but manage to keep going. The story slows down and plods along in a few places, but never enough that I wanted to stop reading. The book teaches about perseverance and that there are blue skies after the rain. ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 28, 2014 |
This book was pretty good. ( )
  samanthaclanton.7013 | Jan 15, 2014 |
I didn't get as emotionally attached to this book as I did with Where the Heart Is but I still enjoyed it immensely. I'll read anything she writes. ( )
  wisemetis | Apr 12, 2011 |
Have you ever read a book, and gotten a feeling of deja vu? That's what happened with this one. As I was starting the story I realized that I must have read this earlier, perhaps when it was published and I just didn't remember doing so. While 3/4 of the way through reading it, I am enjoying it, even though it is predictable and has 1 dimensional characters. Reminiscent of Fannie Flagg's books about small time life, it is nothing to cheer about, but I will finish it. I'm sure there will be no surprises since it's just a feel good read and nothing else. ( )
  janiereader | Jul 9, 2010 |
People will meet other people during the course of their lives who will help them resolve the difficult issues they have been unable to solve by themselves. At least that's what I got out of this book. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |

The neon sign had seemed appropriate when the Honk and Holler Opening Soon was being built. But twelve years later, the once-busy highway outside Sequoyah, Oklahoma, is little-traveled, and "opening soon" is a tired joke. Today the sign is as battered and beaten as the cafe and its owner, Caney Paxton, a Vietnam War veteran who hasn't ventured outside since its opening.

The characters who drift in and out of the Honk don't change much: Molly O, a four-times married earth mother who recognizes a wounded spirit when she meets one; Life Halstead, a widower who eats three meals a day in the cafe so he can be near Molly O; Hooks Red Eagle, Soldier Starr, and Quinton Roach, Cherokee veterans of World War II; and Bilbo and Peg Porter--Bilbo steadily puffing his smokes while Peg struggles for breath through her oxygen mask.

With Christmas only days away, their lives are to be forever changed with the arrival of Vena Takes Horse, a Crow woman on a quest, and Bui Khanh, a Vietnamese refugee looking for home.

A story that crackles and sizzles like burgers on a red-hot grill, The Honk and Holler Opening Soon captures a small town's prejudice and tolerance, violence and big-heartedness. It convinces us that dark clouds can really have silver linings. And it leaves us hungry for more writing from Billie Letts and the Oklahoma she portrays with so much vitality and love.

Caney Paxton wanted his cafe to have the biggest and brightest sign in Eastern Oklahoma-the "opening soon" part was supposed to be just a removable, painted notice. But a fateful misunderstanding gave Vietnam vet Caney the flashiest joke in the entire state. Twelve years later, the once-busy highway is dead and the sign is as worn as Caney, who hasn't ventured outside the diner since it opened. Then one blustery December day, a thirtyish Crow woman blows in with a three-legged dog in her arms and a long-buried secret on her mind. Hiring on as a carhop, Vena Takes Horse is soon shaking up business, the locals, and Caney's heart...as she teaches them all about generosity of spirit, love, and the possibility of promise-just like the sign says.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:53 -0400)

In Oklahoma, a depressed Vietnam veteran in a wheelchair gets a new lease on life, thanks to an Indian woman he hires for his roadside cafe. A look at the power of love.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,468,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible