The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents Earth (The Book): A Visitor's…

by Jon Stewart, Rory Albanese, Steve Bodow, David Javerbaum, Josh Lieb

Jon Stewart and the writers of The Daily Show embark on a mission to write a book that sums up the human race: What we looked like; what we accomplished; our achievements in society, government, religion, science and culture. Here is the definitive guide to our species--completely unburdened by objectivity, journalistic integrity, or even accuracy.… (more)

I wanted to like this book, since I do enjoy The Daily Show. However, the book just left me with a lukewarm feeling. It was not bad; it just was not that good. Sure, it had humorous moments here and there, and I think the premise of "a handbook for aliens visiting Earth" was pretty good. But a lot of the humor seems pushed, like trying a bit too hard. This is definitely a book to skip around and browse, not one to read cover to cover. Just find your favorite parts and enjoy, skip the rest. Another reason I was disappointed is because I liked America(The Book) (which I reviewed here too). This just did not live up to that. So, read it if you are a real fan of the show, or if you feel a need to keep up after reading the other one. This is one to borrow, not buy. ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
A textbook written by a comedian. Instant adult classic.
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
I listened to about forty minutes of this today and was really loving it. It's pretty dang funny. I decided to stop when things got a little too crass for my taste, but I will be recommending this book to people who I know aren't as bothered by things as I am. Dang funny stuff. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
This is written as a book for future aliens who come across our planet long after humanity has destroyed itself. It covers most aspects of human life, from politics to art to history to science to religion, and it's all hilarious. Definitely recommended.

A note on the audio: The audio presentation is inspired. Between the music and sound effects and various narrators (including, oddly enough, Sigourney Weaver), the whole thing has the atmosphere of a museum documentary. The juxtaposition of the silly jokes against this backdrop make them just that much funnier. ( )
1 vote melydia | Dec 16, 2016 |
Similar in format to America: The Book, this book was written under the assumption that at some point in the future humanity will destroy itself and become extinct and that the aliens who land here years later will want to learn about our planet. There are chapters on Earth, Life, Man, The Life Cycle, Society, Commerce, Religion, Science, and Culture. There are also plenty of pictures and plenty of jokes.

People who are fans of The Daily Show will enjoy this book; people who aren't, won't. It was obviously written to be funny and not necessarily factually accurate; however, there's often a deeper layer of truth underlying the humor. I especially liked the first two chapters on Earth and Life because they show just how beautiful and majestic our planet is. Some of the pictures in these chapters are also stunning. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

Jon Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Albanese, Rorymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bodow, Stevemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Javerbaum, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lieb, Joshmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Greetings alien brethren!

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,756,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible