The Dream-Maker's Magic (2006)

by Sharon Shinn

Series: The Safe-Keepers (3)

Kellen's mother insisted her only child was born a male and raised her as a boy till she was forced to go to school. Then she became friends with Gryffin who would become the new Dream-Maker of their village. Will their love survive when Gryffin is whisked away to the castle.

A wondrous YA trilogy. I generally don't like fantasy or epics/ series, but I do want more of these tales! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I hate it when you turn the page and there is no more story. The Dream-Maker's Magic seemed unfinished. All I needed was a couple more pages to find out what happened with Kellen and Griffyn. Did Griffyn have the surgery? If he did, did he lose his magic? Would they stay in the city or return to Thrush Hollow?

Throughout the series I've encountered the same problem, it's unfair to leave us hanging at the end of every book. Other than the above this was an excellent trilogy, the stories were highly imaginative and original. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Dear Sharon Shinn: Thank you for avoiding oogy nasty ablism.

Aside from that, the third book is much like the first three: a little unsubtle (thematic statement--drink!), a little fluffy, mostly inoffensive.

However, that so-called twist? Not so much. I'm just sayin'… ( )
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |
I really like her style of writing. It's a very quiet book, nothing terribly exciting happens, but I get a great sense of her characters and their lives. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
I read this in one day. Of course the fact that I was sick in bed at the time might have something to do with how fast I read it. Still, it is a very readable ya coming of age fantasy. There's something about the way Sharon Shinn writes in this series that makes it great sick day reading, its somehow gentle and reassuring without being saccharine or dull. Like a warm bowl of really good soup. Which is kind of what you need when you're sick in bed.

I certainy wouldn't say its the most challenging thing I will read this year by any stretch of the imagination, but its a lovely little story and her characterization is, as always, excellent. ( )
  bunwat | Mar 30, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Ventures fall to grief;

Hopes collapse in rue.

But fire runs 'round the wreath,

And secret dreams come true.
For Andrew
When you're old enough to read this
May every single one of your dreams come true
This is the story my mother told me: She was traveling late in her pregnancy when she was overcome by labor pains.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,889,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible