Programming Ruby (2004)

by Dave Thomas

Series: Facets of Ruby (1)

Ruby, a new, object-oriented scripting language, has won over thousands of Perl and Python programmers in Japan -- and it's now launching worldwide. This is the world's first English-language developer's guide to Ruby. Written by the two leading Ruby developers, Programming Ruby demonstrates Ruby's compelling advantages, and serves as a start-to-finish tutorial and reference for every developer. The authors introduce all of Ruby's basics, including classes, objects, variables, container, iterators, types, methods, expressions, modules, I/O, and threads. You'll master Ruby development for the Web, including CGI scripts and embedding Ruby in HTML; learn how to create GUI-based Ruby applications with TK; and discover techniques for integrating Ruby with Windows. Programming Ruby shows how to extend Ruby in C, and presents in-depth coverage of advanced features. Numerous fully functional code examples are included. The book contains an alphabetical reference to Ruby 1.6 -- the latest version -- documenting over 800 methods, 40 built-in classes, and many useful library modules.… (more)

A tour de force journey through the dynamic, object-oriented language known as Ruby, with over 200 pages of new material and full descriptions of all the standard library modules. Covers strings, classes, blocks, and regular expressions with thorough examples. This book has such a reputation as the definitive reference for learning Ruby that it is simply called "The Pickaxe Book" in the programming community. There are many Ruby tutorials and references on the web, but the beauty of this book is that it is both well-written and provides a compendium of what you really need to know about Ruby that can't be easily sourced and collected. This is the ultimate book for both learning Ruby and use as a desk reference. ( )
  wyclif | Sep 22, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
This book is pretty well laid out and keeps things simple, I think that might be as much a testament to the design of Ruby as to Dave's penmanship. Anyway, it is all there and easily accessible and understandable. If you are doing it with Ruby, this is the book to have. The back half is just a listing of the Ruby documentation so... you know, whatever. ( )
  dohouk | Oct 4, 2009 |
Solid how-to and reference book. Dubbed the "Pickaxe" book by Ruby programmers because of the cover photo. Programming Ruby is how I learned Ruby, now my favorite programming language. I can't get past the author's name though. Every time I notice it on my shelf I think, "So that's what he's been up to since SCTV." ( )
  billmcn | Aug 6, 2007 |
This was my first foray into such a dynamic language. For a quick introduction to the language I don't think you can beat this book. After reading this book the biggest concern I have about using a language like Ruby would be the fact that it is dynamically typed. It just seems like this would lead to you not finding out you passed the wrong object to some code until you did a test run. Coming from a C background where we are taught to have the compiler check for errors like this, this is a reasonable worry. It definatly looks like a fun and productive language though. I also liked that fact that the first edition is available online at Programming Ruby.
  jcopenha | Jan 19, 2007 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,658,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible