New Spring by Robert Jordan

New Spring

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (0)

English (39)  Spanish (1)  All (40)
In the prequel to Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series, with battles erupting near Tar Valon, the Amyrlin Seat calls Moraine and Siuan Sanche, who at the time were recently made Accepted Aes Sedai, and the Keeper foretells of the Dragon Reborn. Moraine and Siuan are tasked to go to Emond’s Field to find out about the Dragon Reborn. Moraine and Siuan are portrayed much differently in this prequel than they are later in the series when they are older. This gives them a little more humanity than how they are later depicted.

Reading this novel reminds me of why I started reading this series to begin with. It was fast-paced, intriguing, and fun, not the horribly ponderous, difficult to read, snooze fests that the novels later become (currently I’m on the ninth in the series and wondering if I should continue). I enjoyed the revealing of the background of things that aren’t well explained in the series. There is good action, characterization, and a sound plot. Somewhere along the way, Robert Jordan lost his way, but this prequel is a must read, especially if you have read any other novels in the series.

Carl Alves – author of Two For Eternity ( )
  Carl_Alves | Feb 5, 2017 |
2011 Review:
A prequel, with lots of info given away that we the readers have had thrown to us sliver by sliver throughout the series.

If you are starting the Wheel of Time series, don't read this until after Path of Daggers. As a reread however, this is a great start to the series. It doesn't have most of Jordan's literary quirks" that drove me batty and it is short [compared to his other novels]. Good stuff

2004 Review:
when Rand was born. Moiraine just as she becomes an Aes Sedai. Very interesting back story. I look forward to the rest of these prequels...

Addendum 2011:
When I first read it back in '04, I was under the impression that this was the first of a trilogy of prequels. Yet another disappointment for the Wheel of Time fans to bear..." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Really fun story to go along with the series. I just love Lan, Moiraine, and Siuane. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I'm just rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Throughout the series, the Two Rivers folk are emphasized more than any others, which makes sense because they are extremely important. However, Moiraine and Lan are extremely important as well. Without Moiraine, the Two Rivers folk never would have left the Two Rivers, and, even worse, Rand wouldn't have been given his chance to save the world as the Dragon Reborn. Moiraine and Lan are crucial to the Wheel of Time storyline, and reading about their beginnings helped me to respect them so much more. They are strong, good people; people of noble birth who are willing to dedicate their lives to saving the world.

It was also fun reading about the relationship between Suian and Moiraine. All the Aes Sedai nonsense of being completely calm at all times gets on my nerves at times; it's refreshing to be reminded that they really do have emotions and real, stable relationships. Moiraine and Suian may have been giggly Accepted while in the Tower, but later on they become the epitomy of Aes Sedai—but they are more dedicated to their causes rather than their titles. Suian and Moiraine both made something of themselves, and I don't think the world could have made it to the Last Battle without them.

And, you can't forget Lan in all of this. It still seems strange to me that he allowed Moiraine to bond him; to some, it may have seemed like he abandoned all of his duties as the uncrowned king of Malkier when he gave in to Moiraine's leadership. But Lan is a wise young man, and he knows where his skills and influence will have the most effect. Lan is a quiet, steady, and strong force for good, a person the Light needs desperately.

These three characters, Moiraine, Suian, and Lan, are fast becoming some of my most favorite characters. Two of them may be coniving Aes Sedai, but each is dedicated to the greater good, no matter what the costs. And more importantly, each comes with his or her own set of personalities and skills. These are real, relatable, and strong characters that readers can't help but trust. With those three to guide the youngesters, the world will be in good hands. I think the end of this cycle will be more glorious than any other turn of the Wheel, because when this Age fades into a new age, the world will be a better place than it ever has been. No one is going to have to rectify the mistakes of past lives; the next leaders won't have to overcome the horrors of their past. Instead, they will get to start off with a good beginning. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is an expanded version of

For Harriet
Now and forever
A cold wind gusted through the night, across the snow-covered land where men had been killing one another for the past three days.

For three days, battle has raged around the city of Tar Valon. In the White Tower two young Accepted attend the Amyrlin Seat and her Keeper as they await word of the outcome. Purely by chance, Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche are on duty when the Keeper foretells the rebirth of the Dragon, the world's only hope of winning the fight against the Dark One.
Moiraine, Suian, Lan join

Begin fight against Dark Lord

Dragon is reborn

(islanddave)

From America's premier fantasy writer---#1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Crossroads of Twilight---comes an expanded version of his novella "New Spring," first published in the Legends collection.

For three days battle has raged in the snow around the great city of Tar Valon. In the city, a Foretelling of the future is uttered. On the slopes of Dragonmount, the immense mountain that looms over the city, is born an infant prophesied to change the world. That child must be found before the forces of the Shadow have an opportunity to kill him. Moiraine Damodred, a young Accepted soon to be raised to Aes Sedai, and Lan Mandragoran, a soldier fighting in the battle, are set on paths that will bind their lives together. But those paths are filled with complications and dangers, for Moiraine, of the Royal House of Cairhien, whose king has just died, and Lan, considered the uncrowned king of a nation long dead, find their lives threatened by the plots of those seeking power. "New Spring" related some of these events, in compressed form; New Spring: The Novel tells the whole story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

For three days battle has raged in the snow around the great city of Tar Valon. In the city, a Foretelling of the future is uttered. On the slopes of Dragonmount, the immense mountain that looms over the city, is born an infant prophesied to change the world. That child must be found before the forces of the Shadow have an opportunity to kill him. Moiraine Damodred, a young Accepted soon to be raised to Aes Sedai, and Lan Mandragoran, a soldier fighting in the battle, are set on paths that will bind their lives together. But those paths are filled with complications and dangers, for Moiraine, of the royal House of Cairhien, whose king has just died, and Lan, considered the uncrowned king of a nation long dead, find their lives threatened by the plots of those seeking power.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,085,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible