New Spring

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (Prequel 1)

5,220611,517 (3.74)75
For three days battle has raged in the snow around the great city of Tar Valon. In the city, a Foretelling of the future is uttered. On the slopes of Dragonmount, the immense mountain that looms over the city, is born an infant prophesied to change the world. That child must be found before the forces of the Shadow have an opportunity to kill him. Moiraine Damodred, a young Accepted soon to be raised to Aes Sedai, and Lan Mandragoran, a soldier fighting in the battle, are set on paths that will bind their lives together. But those paths are filled with complications and dangers, for Moiraine, of the royal House of Cairhien, whose king has just died, and Lan, considered the uncrowned king of a nation long dead, find their lives threatened by the plots of those seeking power.… (more)

English (57)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (61)
So it turns out Jordan COULD write a short book. As a consequence I enjoyed this more, although his pacing issues remain. ( )
  infjsarah | Jun 17, 2021 |
I listened to the audio recording of this, and the readers were again superb. I don't know how well this book would be as a stand alone - I received a lot of value from filling in details of characters and events in the main Wheel of Time story-line.

The direction of the book feels a bit unwieldy, which is why I suggest it wouldn't do well as a stand-alone, or even as the beginning book to read of the series - I think it fit well to read it after book two (The Great Hunt).

quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
What the hell did I just listen to? I've been reading fantasy for 40+ years, so it's not like I don't understand fantasy, but I was lost for most of this book. I felt like I had started in the middle of a book and then once I started to get settled, it jumped to another time/place with other characters. On top of this nothing really exciting happened and none of the characters stuck out as interesting, besides maybe al'Lan. The magic was decent, but not amazing. I promised myself that even if this sucked I would try the first book of the series, but at this point I'm pretty sure how that's gonna turn out.

One other bad thing. I always wondered by Tolkien had 2 main characters with names that were almost the same (Saruman and Sauron). Well Jordan did the same thing with Moiraine and Merean. It made a confusing ending even more confusing. ( )
  ragwaine | Feb 11, 2021 |
I remember reading this a long time ago. In this story we learn about Moiraine and Siuan and how they got started in searching for the Dragon Reborn. We also get the backstory of how Moiraine met Lan. Overall it's a great short story and gives some more detail into the Wheel of Time series. ( )
  payday1999 | Dec 8, 2020 |
It seems to me that for some spinoff book for Wheel of Time, a prequel based around Moiraine and Lan seems like the obvious choice, but not the best choice. It's good for what it is, but I've never liked the White Tower stuff in the main series anyways. 3/5 personally, but 4/5 objectively. ( )
  Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Wheel of Time (Prequel 1)

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Harriet
Now and forever
A cold wind gusted through the night, across the snow-covered land where men had been killing one another for the past three days.

For three days, battle has raged around the city of Tar Valon. In the White Tower two young Accepted attend the Amyrlin Seat and her Keeper as they await word of the outcome. Purely by chance, Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche are on duty when the Keeper foretells the rebirth of the Dragon, the world's only hope of winning the fight against the Dark One.
Moiraine, Suian, Lan join
Begin fight against Dark Lord
Dragon is reborn
(islanddave)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,976,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible