New Spring by Robert Jordan

New Spring

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (0)

English (41)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (44)
Although written after the tenth book in the series, this is a prequal, detailing the beginning of the search for the Dragon Reborn. It is written with the same florid language and complex world as the series. If you've read the series, you'll want to read this. Some advised me to not read this before I read the tenth book, as it would spoil the story. However, I actually thought it helped and gave the character of Moiraine depth that increased my enjoyment of the series. If you are a fan of the series, read this. If you are just starting, you could read this first or after the tenth, depending on your beginning knowledge of the story. ( )
  empress8411 | Apr 2, 2018 |
Pretty good. Not stellar, nor is it *required* reading for the Wheel of Time series, but it does provide some neat background on Moiraine, Lan & Siuan's earlier exploits. New Spring takes place roughly 20 years before the events of The Eye of the World. Moiraine & Siuan are Accepted in the beginning, and later tested & raised to the shawl during the events of the book. Much of the second half of the novel details how Moiraine & Lan met, and how Lan became Moiraine's warder. ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
New Spring is a prequel novel in the Wheel of Time series. It fleshes out several bits of back story that are provided throughout the first several books. I think I’m just going to stop there as far as explaining what it’s about. People familiar with the series can probably guess part of it just from looking at the cover, at least the cover for my edition, but the book was about a lot more than that and (slight spoiler) the scene on the cover was actually one of the last scenes in the book.

Despite knowing the major events that would take place based on what had already been revealed in the main books, I really enjoyed this. It was fun to see all of the details fleshed out. I chose to read it in publication order, which was between books 10 and 11. To my mind, things seem to fit more smoothly if I read them in the order the author created them. I think most people recommend waiting until at least after book 5 to read this, and that does make sense. Although it wouldn’t really spoil anything too major, it would take away the ambiguity of some of the characters throughout the main books. I also think this book has more meaning when you already know the bits of backstory already revealed.

I have a few more spoiler-ish comments in the tags below. Please note that there are some spoilers up through book 10 in the series.

I really enjoyed seeing Moiraine and Siuan in their early days as close friends. In the main books we’ve been told they were friends, and there was certainly some evidence of that, but we never really saw its depth or its history. I also enjoyed seeing their relationships with some of the other members of the White Tower. It was interesting that apparently Elaida was trying to help them in her own twisted way, at least until she believed they betrayed her. It was great to finally see exactly what’s involved in being raised from Accepted to Aes Sedai, and I liked learning more about some of their rules and customs. Lan’s part of the story was slightly less interesting by comparison, but it was much shorter and I did still enjoy it. I also enjoyed seeing how Moiraine and Lan met, and learning exactly how and why he became her warder.

In at least the first couple WoT books, I had always felt like there was a tiny bit of ambiguity about Moiraine. I was pretty sure she was on the side of good, but her motives were always at least a little bit in question in my mind. The same was true of Siuan Sanche when she was first introduced. This book completely removes all ambiguity about those two characters and their motives, so that’s one reason I’m glad I didn’t read it in chronological order.

Another ambiguous character in this book is Cadsuane. She remains ambiguous throughout her few appearances and mentions, and Moiraine ends up believing she’s probably part of the Black Ajah. Cadsuane has been a very ambiguous character in the main books also, although I’ve finally decided she’s probably one of the good ones. Spending some time in her POV has helped. However, we already know of at least one member of the Black Ajah who is supporting Rand because she believes he has to live until the final battle so he can be defeated. It’s possible Cadsuane also has ulterior motives for the choices she’s made that haven’t been fully revealed, so I could still be wrong about her. For now, though, I’m sticking with my belief that she’s not evil. I think, if I’d read New Spring before coming to my own conclusions about her, I would have been heavily influenced by Moiraine’s suspicions about her. I’m glad I had the chance to form my own opinion, even if it proves to be wrong.
1 vote YouKneeK | Feb 14, 2018 |
In the prequel to Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series, with battles erupting near Tar Valon, the Amyrlin Seat calls Moraine and Siuan Sanche, who at the time were recently made Accepted Aes Sedai, and the Keeper foretells of the Dragon Reborn. Moraine and Siuan are tasked to go to Emond’s Field to find out about the Dragon Reborn. Moraine and Siuan are portrayed much differently in this prequel than they are later in the series when they are older. This gives them a little more humanity than how they are later depicted.

Reading this novel reminds me of why I started reading this series to begin with. It was fast-paced, intriguing, and fun, not the horribly ponderous, difficult to read, snooze fests that the novels later become (currently I’m on the ninth in the series and wondering if I should continue). I enjoyed the revealing of the background of things that aren’t well explained in the series. There is good action, characterization, and a sound plot. Somewhere along the way, Robert Jordan lost his way, but this prequel is a must read, especially if you have read any other novels in the series.

Carl Alves – author of Two For Eternity ( )
  Carl_Alves | Feb 5, 2017 |
2011 Review:
A prequel, with lots of info given away that we the readers have had thrown to us sliver by sliver throughout the series.

If you are starting the Wheel of Time series, don't read this until after Path of Daggers. As a reread however, this is a great start to the series. It doesn't have most of Jordan's literary quirks" that drove me batty and it is short [compared to his other novels]. Good stuff

2004 Review:
when Rand was born. Moiraine just as she becomes an Aes Sedai. Very interesting back story. I look forward to the rest of these prequels...

Addendum 2011:
When I first read it back in '04, I was under the impression that this was the first of a trilogy of prequels. Yet another disappointment for the Wheel of Time fans to bear..." ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Harriet
Now and forever
A cold wind gusted through the night, across the snow-covered land where men had been killing one another for the past three days.

For three days, battle has raged around the city of Tar Valon. In the White Tower two young Accepted attend the Amyrlin Seat and her Keeper as they await word of the outcome. Purely by chance, Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche are on duty when the Keeper foretells the rebirth of the Dragon, the world's only hope of winning the fight against the Dark One.
Moiraine, Suian, Lan join

Begin fight against Dark Lord

Dragon is reborn

(islanddave)

From America's premier fantasy writer---#1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Crossroads of Twilight---comes an expanded version of his novella "New Spring," first published in the Legends collection.

For three days battle has raged in the snow around the great city of Tar Valon. In the city, a Foretelling of the future is uttered. On the slopes of Dragonmount, the immense mountain that looms over the city, is born an infant prophesied to change the world. That child must be found before the forces of the Shadow have an opportunity to kill him. Moiraine Damodred, a young Accepted soon to be raised to Aes Sedai, and Lan Mandragoran, a soldier fighting in the battle, are set on paths that will bind their lives together. But those paths are filled with complications and dangers, for Moiraine, of the Royal House of Cairhien, whose king has just died, and Lan, considered the uncrowned king of a nation long dead, find their lives threatened by the plots of those seeking power. "New Spring" related some of these events, in compressed form; New Spring: The Novel tells the whole story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

For three days battle has raged in the snow around the great city of Tar Valon. In the city, a Foretelling of the future is uttered. On the slopes of Dragonmount, the immense mountain that looms over the city, is born an infant prophesied to change the world. That child must be found before the forces of the Shadow have an opportunity to kill him. Moiraine Damodred, a young Accepted soon to be raised to Aes Sedai, and Lan Mandragoran, a soldier fighting in the battle, are set on paths that will bind their lives together. But those paths are filled with complications and dangers, for Moiraine, of the royal House of Cairhien, whose king has just died, and Lan, considered the uncrowned king of a nation long dead, find their lives threatened by the plots of those seeking power.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,616,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible