Don't Hurt Laurie! (1977)

by Willo Davis Roberts

Laurie is physically abused by her mother; can she escape, and will anyone believe her story?

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Laurie doesn't understand why her mother, Annabelle, hurts her. Laurie does not think anyone would believe her if she told them. Annabelle always has a story about Laurie's clumsiness.
Laurie has no friends because they move so often, especially if the hospital personnel start to get suspicious.
She wants to be a normal kid but doesn't know how. Can her new friend George help her learn? ( )
  aimless22 | Jun 25, 2012 |
This is a book about a girl who deals with an abusive mother - about what it's like to be abused, and how the family seeks help and works their way through it. I read it so long ago that I don't know whether I recommend it or not. It was certainly eye-opening at the time, though it is fiction. ( )
  AnnieHidalgo | Aug 24, 2011 |
I read this all the time in elementary school...the librarian probably thought I was an abused child! Don't know why I found it so compelling, but I did. ( )
  JCH | Apr 26, 2008 |
A very good and interesting book, one of the first child-abuse related stories I ever read. Laurie is a very likable character, and I felt very sorry for her and cheered her on when she was finally able to get help. ( )
  Heather19 | Oct 1, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,425,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible