Huntress

by Malinda Lo

Series: Royal Huntress (prequel)

Seventeen-year-olds Kaede and Taisin are called to go on a dangerous and unprecedented journey to Tanlili, the city of the Fairy Queen, in an effort to restore the balance of nature in the human world.

The normal change of seasons has been disturbed and harvests have failed, so when the Faery Queen invites the king to visit her, he sends his son, accompanied by two young women learning to become sages, one of whom has had visions, and the other is somehow involved in the visions. They face a long and dangerous journey before they can defeat Elowen, whose fortress of ice has played a part in messing up the seasons. ( )
  mari_reads | Apr 14, 2022 |
A great deal of fun. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was action and adventure and I liked the characters. I heard that this is in the same world as her other book Ash, but I have never read that book before and you probably don't need to read the other one to enjoy this. ( )
  payday1999 | Dec 8, 2020 |
I will always love fantasy stories about young ladies falling in love, kicking ass and taking names but alas, this book was ... not that great. the story and characters were very predictable, the plotlines were poorly paced and the point-of-view was inconsistent. if this had been a book about a young lady and a young man, I probably never would have finished it. ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
DNF at 70%. I feel so bad, y'all. But it's the end of the year crunch and this wasn't doing much for me and my brain needed other sustenance.

Really, it wasn't even bad, and that's the weird thing. This is Ash all over again. I can't point fingers and complain about x y z, because hey, x y z were all pretty well done. But "pretty well" is kinda just where it sits, and settles, and lays down its head to sleep and I'm at 50% like "wait, that's it?" I may give it another shot at another time - I'm literally writing this and thinking "noooo finish it, you gotta finish ittttttt, but also god do I not want to finish it." It had some really pretty and interesting magic, Malinda Lo's elves/fae are some of my favourites (THEY INVENTED CHEESE, GUYS. I find that so funny but I mean, probably true), high fantasy with lovely East Asia influence, and she's incredible at building an atmosphere. The idea to the book was simple and fairy-tale-like and lovely: the human world is falling apart and we've gotta go see the fairy queen to set things straight. But ahh, it's just... well, stuff happened...then more stuff....hmmm...

Unfortunately, the pretty stuff wasn't quite pretty enough, and the magic wasn't quite magic enough, and the romance...the romance which I held on for...came out of nowhere like a freight train and I quickly realized that I wasn't invested enough to read another 80 pages of them hemming and hawing and inching towards, away, towards, away. I thought Ash was a fluke, but I think Malindo Lo may just not be my style, which hurts.

So I'd rec it, but not for me. I GUESS. Maybe I'll go back some day. ( )
  Chyvalrys | Aug 5, 2020 |
Two teenage girls—Taisin, a sage who has visions, and Kaede, a brave fighter from a powerful family—must travel to see the Fairy Queen to try and save their land. A persistent winter has settled over their kingdom for two years, halting not only trade and harvests but the natural course of life itself, and threatening the survival of Taisin and Kaede's fellow citizens. The journey to the city of Taninli, home of the Fairy Queen, is treacherous, and along the way Taisin, Kaede, and their travel companions face many dangers and tests of their abilities, not least of which are Taisin and Kaede's growing feelings for each other. Lo's storytelling and prose are masterful, and her protagonists will fascinate, particularly Taisin and her relationship to death and its accompanying rituals, her visions, and the way she can occupy another's mind. As with Ash, Lo's characters are emotionally reserved, which makes the unfolding of romance between Kaede and Taisin all the more satisfying. Fans of Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy will love this. Ages 15–up. (Apr.)

Belongs to Series

Royal Huntress (prequel)

Has as a commentary on the text

To Amy Lovell
"Clouds and thunder arise: / The sage brings order. / Those who chase deer without a hunter / Lose their way in the Wood." / -Book of Changes

She saw a beach made of ice, and she felt her heart breaking.
The ground where she stood was frozen white, but twenty feet away, cold blue ocean lapped at the jagged shore. Someone there was climbing into a rowboat, and she knew that she loved this person. She was certain of it in the same way that one is instantly aware of the taste of sweetness in a drop of honey. But she was afraid for this person's life, and the fear raised a cold sweat on her skin and caused a sick lurch in her stomach, as though she were on a ship during a violent storm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,420,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible