The Secret Lives of Dresses by Erin McKean

The Secret Lives of Dresses (2011)

by Erin McKean

This was a warm-hearted read for lovers of chick lit. While I found the main protagonist a bit weak and wishy-washy, I loved the secondary characters - Mimi (Dora's grandmother and the owner of the vintage dress shop), Gabby (Mimi's close friend) and Maux, who works in the shop. These three women were all slightly eccentric, but were also big-hearted and full of wisdom. The only parts I didn't like were the stories about the secret life of the dresses. Whilst I liked the premise, I found they interrupted the overall flow of the story. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
A granddaughter rushes to the side of her dying grandmother and subsequently finds her passion in life: vintage. A little love story, a little coming-of-age, a little family conflict and a whole lot of wonderful vintage clothing. Highly recommended! ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I was so inspired from this book that I wrote an email to the author, Erin McKean. This is my email & her response: http://sharlenesmith.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/will-i-be-a-dressmaker/ ( )
  sharlenehsmith | Mar 9, 2015 |
I shouldn’t start yet another book, with 30 plus books on my library card at present. But I’m very glad to have found this little romance. It is robust with lovely characters, quirky stories and entertaining dialogue. Maux, the Welding/HVAC student and vamp and her slam poet pompadoured Harvey. Wow!
It starts slow with drab Dora, but picks up once Dora reaches grandma Mimi’s dress shop. Yes, even the dresses have their own tales to tell.
The only detraction is that people were too characterized by their possession or absence of good taste in clothing.
Although this isn't great literature, it's at the top of it's own niche. ( )
  2wonderY | Jan 1, 2015 |
A sweet romantic novel about finding yourself, your life's work, your real friends and true love. ( )
  Bookish59 | Jul 13, 2014 |
Gabby was staring at the front walk as if it had suddenly been paved with rattlers. Camille was rolling up to the front door like an ocean liner, dragging a suitcase, the old fashioned square kind, on a leash. It was upholstered in a pattern that suggested that a dentist's waiting-room couch had been skinned and tanned.
...if Camille had a superpower, it would be making everyone near her sullen and unresponsive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044655572X, Paperback)

Dora has always taken the path of least resistance. She went to the college that offered her a scholarship, is majoring in "vagueness studies," and wears whatever shows the least dirt. She falls into a job at the college coffee shop, and a crush on her flirty boss, Gary.

Just when she's about to test Gary's feelings, Mimi, the grandmother who raised her, suffers a stroke. Dora rushes back home to Forsyth, NC, and finds herself running her grandmother's vintage clothing store. The store has always been a fixture in Dora's life; though she grew up more of a jeans-and-sweatshirt kind of girl, before she even knew how to write, Mimi taught her that a vintage 1920s dress could lift a woman's spirit.

While working there, Dora befriends Mimi's adorable contractor, Conrad. Is he after Dora, or is working from a different blueprint? And why did Mimi start writing down--and giving away--stories of the dresses in her shop?

When Mimi dies, Dora can't get out of town fast enough and cedes control of the store to her money-hungry aunt who wants to turn it into a t-shirt shop for tourists. But ultimately, she returns to Forsyth, willing to battle whatever may stand in the way of her staying there. Dora can trade her boring clothes for vintage glamour, but can she trade her boring life for one she actually wants?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

"A tale of a girl who finally discovers herself and finds love in her grandmother's vintage clothing store"--Provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,395,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible