The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

The Borrower

by Rebecca Makkai

9031019,768 (3.43)1 / 48

English (96)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All (106)
There are times, when a book chooses you. It doesn't leave you, till you finish it reading, it compels you, haunts you and we as a reader act like a demon possessed human.

But once, when you complete reading , there is this strong feeling of warm blanket of words enveloping you. The characters from the book are still alive in your mind & you wish that the book never came to an end after all.

This is what i felt after reading "The Borrower" by Rebecca Makkai.

Here are my thoughts about the book.

Book Name- The Borrower
Author-Rebecca Makkai
Genre- Adult & Contemporary
No.of Pages- 324

The book is narrated in first person, where we are introduced to the main character of the novel- Lucy Hull, a librarian in her mid twenties working in children's section in a small town called Hannibal.

The story progresses forward, where we are shown that Lucy Hull, who is concerned about a sensitive 10 yr old kid named-Ian Drake. As the story progresses further, we come to know that Ian Drake's parents have forced upon him to take Biblical related classes because they have doubts regarding his sexual orientation.

There is a sudden twist in the story, where Lucy Hull is both the kidnapper & kidnapped by Ian Drake. Together they both take a road trip, as mapped by Ian Drake. What follows is an exciting and scary journey for both of them. The easy camaraderie is reflected between Lucy & Ian through out the book.

Why this book is a must read- Because honestly, at one point of time you will start caring about the characters in this novel. Most of all, you will feel the heart-wrenching anxiety and emotions going through Lucy Hull's mind.

The novel is laced with humor, books references and at times witty dialogue.

As for me, i know now i will not be scared of the book choosing me : ) Looking forward to other novels written by Rebecca Makkai.

nefritri | Aug 16, 2017 |
This book is on the light side; The plot is implausible, and the protagonist is not likable (or rather I kept thinking I really shouldn't like her). Still, this is an engaging story and I couldn't stop rooting for the plucky young librarian. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
Super sweet and funny, plus tears at the end. Loved the references to childrens lit and other American novels of travel from Twain on. A great book about the power of fiction to change lives. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Oh. A love letter to books, childrens' books, libraries and librarians. Loved the narrator's humor, the child's voice, the sweetness without being cloying. Now I want to read The Pushcart War again. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
Yes, there are plausibility issues, but I still really enjoyed this book. I thought both Lucy and Ian were well-drawn. And I really wanted to know what happened; I could barely put it down. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
The novel bogs down for a long time in the middle with an excess of plot, but the moving final chapters affirm the power of books to change people’s lives even as they acknowledge the unbreakable bonds of home and family.

Smart, literate and refreshingly unsentimental.

In her bracingly tough-minded tale of a discontented librarian who hits the road with a maladjusted 10-year-old, Rebecca Makkai tips her hat to a shelf-load of children's literature, offering sly echoes of everything from "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White to "Where's Spot?" By Eric Hill, while crafting her own distinctive sound in a first novel definitely not for kids. Makkai avoids almost all the pitfalls of debut fiction, including sentimentality and undigested autobiography, and though her plotting isn't as deft as her characterizations, the wonderfully nuanced closing pages more than make up for the occasional longueurs that precede them....Yet every conflicted word Lucy utters in Makkai's probing novel reminds us that literature matters because it helps us discover ourselves while exploring the worlds of others.

Rebecca Makkaiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Homedes Beutnagel, JofreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Homedes, JofreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I might be the villain of this story. Even now, it's hard to tell.

A librarian / kidnapped a little boy and / then sent him back home (_debbie_)
Ran from religion / Hiding out with the Russians / Reading can save you (_debbie_)

When her favorite patron, a book-loving ten-year-old, runs away from overbearing parents who force him to attend anti-gay classes with a celebrity pastor, children's librarian Lucy Hull flees with the boy and discovers that they are being pursued by an anonymous adversary.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rebecca Makkai's book The Borrower - AUDIO EDITION was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,772,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible