HomeGroupsTalkExplore

This Is a Book

by Demetri Martin

Featuring narrative essays, short stories, and conceptual pieces (such as "Protagonists' hospital," where doctors treat only the shoulder wounds of Hollywood action heroes) as well as Martin's signature drawings, absurdities, and one-liners, This is a book delivers sharp jokes, colorful characters, and interesting surprises.… (more)

English (29)  German (1)  All languages (30)
One piece of advice: do not read this in public. You'll look ridiculous.
It's so laugh-out-loud funny. I saw Demetri Martin a couple of years ago on YouTube and found him really funny/witty, and forgot about him till now.

READ IT!
If you have a weird sense of humor.
That is most entertained by elements of surprise.
  womanwoanswers | Dec 23, 2022 |
3.5 stars

I love this comedian. His stand-up is better than this book which was hit or miss,depending on the chapter. Still, I got a lot of laughs from it, and it was worth the read. ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
This book made me laugh out loud, which I appreciate. But the sections were pretty hit and miss. A few bits were pretty funny, a few bits were "heh" funny, and a few bits were not funny.

I've read a decent amount of books, and his writing style isn't quite clever enough to tell humorous stories up there with the big players. (I fear I'm a little too picky.) I do think he really shines in the drawings and one-liners. ( )
  Allyoopsi | Jun 22, 2022 |
This is a Book

I Picked Up This Book Because: Demetri Martin is one of my favorite comics.

The Story:

While I enjoyed most of it, the book started to get old by the end and I did some skipping in the last section.

The Random Thoughts:

#LibraryLoveChallenge

3.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 24, 2020 |
I skipped reading a lot of the longer pieces and stuck with the one-liners and drawings. ( )
  alyssajp | Jul 29, 2019 |
Ultimately, This Is A Book is far more effective as a demonstration of the difficulties of translating comedy to the page than it is as a book. It’s eminently readable, but Martin’s humor is best dealt with in smaller doses, and the longer fiction pieces seem like jokes stretched well beyond their limits. There are probably ways for Martin to apply his mannerisms to the page successfully, but This Is A Book’s humble title serves as an unfortunately accurate description of this attempt.
added by Shortride | editA. V. Club, Rowan Kaiser (May 19, 2011)

For you.
If you're reading this sentence then you've pretty much got it.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,951,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible