Heaven Cent by Piers Anthony

Heaven Cent

by Piers Anthony

Series: Xanth (11)

1,57667,016 (3.21)1 / 10

Another quest and find love tale from Anthony. Luckily, he makes his characters somewhat interesting and one is able to enjoy different details and plot elements from book to book. This one is the start of a trilogy so approaches that plot machine from a slightly different angle. Poor Dolph, future King of Xanth, has all the female characters throw themselves at him. Life must be tough... ( )
  utbw42 | Jan 13, 2014 |
I read this series out of order when I was in my late teens. This was the first I picked up and started me on my love of all things Xanth. ( )
  AprilAasheim | Jul 7, 2013 |
In my pre-teen years, when I began making reading choices for myself, I found, in the school library, several books by Piers Anthony. I’m sure there were lots of great authors that could have brought me into the fantasy genre family, but Anthony was an ‘A’ and so was at the beginning of the section. I ate those novels up. I couldn’t get enough. He was funny, on levels that I didn’t even understand at the time. He was creative. And every story had a moral, which a pre- and young-teen always needs. I continued to read Piers Anthony’s Xanth novels into my teenage years but then began to grow out of them. I moved on to other authors. Other genres.

A few weeks ago I stumbled across “Heaven Cent” in a bargain bin and just stood there holding it and grinning. So I got it and read it. As an adult reading another Xanth novel, I am able to appreciate even more of the humor, the puns, and Anthony’s use of allegory throughout. I found myself grinning and wondering what it would be like to reread all of those Xanth books I read growing up.

Xanth novels don’t have to be read in sequence, each gives you enough history pertinent to that particular story. So even after not having picked up a Piers Anthony book in nearly 15 years it was as if I had never left the mysteriously magical land of Xanth. With titles such as “Night Mare”, “Isle of View” (sounding like I love you, causing great confusion throughout many stories), and “Faun and Games”, it’s apparent what the reader is in for. And “Heaven Cent” is no different. ( )
  storeyonastory | Jul 5, 2012 |
It's Xanth.
But if you have trouble with puns, stay away from this book and this series. ( )
  dragonasbreath | Dec 12, 2011 |
XANTH
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cam - my wife of 32 years, and counting.
Dolph made himself comfortable on Ivy's bed and watched the Tapestry.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812574982, Mass Market Paperback)

In the mind of Xanth's precious shapeshifting Prince Dolph, the perfect was to see the world is to search for the missing sorcerer, Humfrey. Setting off with his faithfuls companion, Marrow, an enchanted skeleton, Dolph will penetrate an island of illusion, escape a goblin kingdom, outwit a husband-hungry mermaid, save marrow from bone-starved harpies, and find romance with a slinky snake princess--all on his way to discovering a magic coin with all the answers!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

Searching for a missing sorcerer is a perfect chance for Prince Dolph, a Xanth shape-shifter, to see the world. Setting off with his faithful companion Marrow, he will penetrate the island of illusion, escape a goblin kingdom, outwit a mermaid, nest-sit for fiery dragons, and find romance with a princess.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,406,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible