HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Beautiful Chaos

by Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl

Series: Caster Chronicles (3)

Swarms of locusts, record-breaking heat, and devastating storms ravage Gatlin as Ethan and Lena struggle to understand and control the impact of Lena's claiming, which is even causing her family members' abilities to dangerously misfire.

English (95)  Spanish (1)  All languages (96)
Awesome series! ( )
  mtngrl85 | Jan 22, 2023 |
Oh, oh, oh, oh. I'm still not over the shock of the last chapter. Maybe three-four chapters. Which I cried through the entirety. It's easy for a book to make me get blurry. Marginally easy for a book to get me teary. Rare for a book to make me drop out a tear or two. And it's been something like ten years since I was having to stop, breathe, wipe my eyes to be able to keep reading, which just started the whole cycle over again.

Bravo. Bravo. So much. It's still with me, and I've read two unrelated books since it and am in the beginning of Beautiful Redemption, right now, and this ending is still with me.

The books in this series just seem to get better and better as they go. The authors figuring out the things they aren't good at and excelling at that in the next book. This book was beyond amazing. Like nearly five stars amazing. Yes, only nearly. Because it was so amazing, this is why my only few problems with it stood out glaringly like someone dropped a spotlight in my eyes.

The characters, events and places are fully lush and amazing, every time we are in them or with them. But this one felt so haphazardly like there were too many of all of the above, and even if they were perfect when we were there in those place or with those people, it was authentic and perfect. But. When we weren't it was like those people and places forgot to exist any more, never got mentioned or thought of until it was conveniently a need for the storyline movement again.

Something I saw a whole lot of with at least two-to-five different people and somewhere around three places.

This was my only big problem, and even this can only really make me move my review to like a 4.7-4.8 stars. The rest is just that good.

This book was topsy-turvey and upside-down and amazing. I was glad to see that my biggest problem with the end of Beautiful Darkness (where the couple fall into each others arms like everything is perfect and there is no hurt, which soured me sad on that ending) was addressed in this one. Adressed by Ethan and Lena, by Ethan and Liv, and by Lena and Liv. I probably liked it best that it was so real in that handling, and that this whole subject, while it was an undercurrent was not the focus of the novel.

I continue to madly love Macon and Amma and everything these two get at. How much they know, how much they show, and how much they keep hidden. The Sister's still own me heart and soul ("Don't you defende vegetablism, Mercy. You know it's the last stop to not having panties or preachers." or some such). I am beyond deeply still in love with the Southern witticisms, and I cannot wait to see where the book takes us by the end. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Dec 26, 2022 |
I was going to give it a 3 but you know what? No, it gets a 2 because this one is definitely worse than the second book and that one was a task to read.

So get ready for disappointment. ( )
  MissAlandra | Jan 17, 2022 |
Ethan and Lena are desperately trying to stay together, but the town of Gatlin is now under siege. Because of the things that they did when Lena was claimed and when Ethan's life was spared, the town is now suffering with locusts, extreme heat, storms, and earthquakes. A sacrifice will have to be made and Ethan is afraid it will be Lena - the two who would be one. Along with Link who is now called Linkubus and Ridley who is now mortal as well as the rest of their friends and family, Ethan and Lena will face their toughest test to date and one of them may not survive.

Beautiful Chaos is another good entry in the Caster Chronicles series. Once again, the authors do a fantastic job creating atmosphere and angst. At this point in the series, very little character development is still needed, but we still get growth and change in several of the characters. Overall, Beautiful Chaos is a well written installment in the Caster Chronicles series. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
did not finish ( )
  melonah | Jan 9, 2021 |

Kami Garciaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stohl, Margaretmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Collins, Kevin T.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tumult and peace, the darkness and the light -
Were all like workings of one mind, the features
Of the same face, blossoms upon one tree;
Characters of the great Apocalypse,
The types and symbols of Eternity,
Of first, and last, and midst, and without end.

- William Wordsworth, The Prelude: Book Sixth
For our mothers
Susan Racca, who raises baby squirrels and feeds them with an eyedropper,
&
Marilyn Ross Stohl, who could drive a tractor before she could drive a car.
They are true Gatlin Peaches.
In Gatlin, it's funny how the good things are all tied up with the bad.

Kami Garcia is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,827,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible