The Other Side of Dawn by John Marsden

The Other Side of Dawn (1999)

by John Marsden

8532015,830 (4.12)22

English (19)  Dutch (1)  All languages (20)
The Other Side of Dawn by John Marsden is the seventh and final book in his Tomorrow Series. I’ve been reading this series slowly over the last few years and I am going to miss it, as I have become very attached to the characters but at the same time it was time to end the war and wrap the series up before it got to repetitive. Luckily, the author has published a trilogy that continues the story of the main character, Ellie.

The series has followed a group of Australian teenagers who became resistance fighters when their country was invaded while they were on a camping trip. It is now the final days of the war and the United Nations and other countries have come to Australia’s aid. This group has been asked to cause as much trouble as they can in order to disrupt the enemy and while causing an explosion at a fuel depot, Ellie becomes separated from the group. She must now move forward toward the end of the war alone, not knowing what happened to her friends.

I thought the author gave the series a realistic yet hopeful ending, things do not go back to the way they were. Many people have been killed and even more have been damaged. The war has brought changes and now Ellie must find her way in a new world. The Other Side of Dawn is the closing of a series about courage, friendship and survival. I now look forward to the trilogy that is about Ellie and her life after the war. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 8, 2019 |
I just found out that the TV series based on these books will start airing in Australia this month and I am super excited! I love this series so much, and I enjoyed the movie as well. I really hope this TV series will be as good as the books were! ( )
  october.tune | Nov 15, 2017 |
READ IN DUTCH

And then it is all over. The final episode of the Tomorrow-series by John Marsden. I've enjoyed reading them, it was an interesting story. I did like the first three books best, they seemed to be the most realistic, and this last book had a few points where I believe they were more lucky than possible. Just a bit too many coincidences and a feeling Marsden really wanted a happy end at the end of the series. Still loved it.
I would recommend this series to everyone, because I really liked it and wish there were more books than the seven I've read! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I was very excited to see the series all wrapped up, and without being completely rosy. My only complaint would be that I never believed that the rest of the crew had died. It pulled me out of the story a bit, because I wasn't as devastated as Ellie was. I'd also still like to know how the New Zealanders escaped, but I guess you can't tie up all the loose ends. ( )
  Karyn_Ainsworth | Dec 29, 2014 |
339 pages Fiction. This is a great book. Its is worth conclusion to a series I am sorry to see end. Its no surprise that the war ends in this book. Its the journey and how its told that makes the book worth reading. The book wraps up loose ends in a more than satisfying fashion. See how the war and the peace changed all that were involved.
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
To the people of Tibet, East Timor, and West Papua (Irian Jaya)
The noise of a helicopter at night fills the whole world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439858054, Paperback)

At last, the final episode of the gripping Tomorrow series by wildly popular Aussie author John Marsden has crossed the Pacific, and this concluding chapter in the lives of Ellie, Fi, Homer, Kevin, and Lee may be the most exciting one yet. Informed by Colonel Finley that the military is making a move that could be compared to the D-day attack of WWII, the outback teen guerillas know that the end of the bewildering war that changed their lives is drawing near. Armed with plastic explosives and grenades, courtesy of the New Zealand Army, they have been instructed to "spread chaos and confusion behind their (enemy) lines in every way, shape and form." For Ellie and company, this means targeting a hostile refueling station and train tracks. Of course, nothing is ever easy. There are still the feral kids to worry about and the dismal discovery that soldiers have infiltrated Hell, their only secured hiding place in the bush. As The Other Side of Dawn rockets at breakneck speed towards its stunning climax, only one thing is certain: there is no guarantee that any of them will make it through this last conflict alive.

Not a book for new recruits, The Other Side of Dawn will be most enjoyed by those hard-core fans who have been with Ellie and the gang from the beginning. Wirrawee buffs will be rewarded with classic Marsden: teeth-jarring action sequences interspersed with meaningful moments between friends who may not see the sunrise again together. This is a satisfying ending to a smashing good series. (Ages 13 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:37 -0400)

Ellie and her friends, five Australian teenagers who survived the enemy invasion of their country, use guerrilla tactics to support a major counterattack by New Zealand troops.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,499,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible