Black Heart

by Holly Black

Series: The Curse Workers (3)

Cassel Sharpe, a powerful transformation worker, is torn between his decision to work for the federal government and his love for Lila, who has joined her father's criminal organization.

Cassel thought there were good guys and bad guys. The Feds and the Crime Families like Zacharov. At the end of Red Glove he and Barron change sides and work for the feds. But ARE there good and bad guys?

"-what if everyone is pretty much the same and it's just a thousand small choices that add up to the person you are? No good or evil, no black and white, no inner demons or angels whispering the right answers in our ears like it's some cosmic SAT test. Just us, hour by hour, minute by minute, day by day, making the best choices we can."

Cassel, Lila, Sam, Daneca, and Barron go through a bunch of emotional distress and take TONS of wrong turns but in the end Cassel realizes that he needs to make his own decisions. He can't change the past and he's not responsible for everyone else's mistakes. He has Sam's problems, Daneca's problems, his mom's problems, Mina's problems and his own problem's. How is he supposed to even think about helping himself with people pulling him every which way?

At first I felt like Mina wasn't really necessary to the story (which is STILL true) but her problem eventually led to Daneca and Sam getting back together so it was ok I guess.

Even though I think Cassel and Lila are made for each other, I don't think they should've ended up together. It just seems to be too happily-ever-after for the two of them. They needed a good heartbreaking good bye. THEN Cassel can leave his old life behind and go after her and live happily ever after ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
Great ending to a very entertaining series! But what a cliff-hanger though... You can't just have our protagonist and his gf run off into the sunset together, even though this seems like a pretty viable solution to Cassel's issues with the FBI and Lila's need to avoid incarceration for the murder of a federal agent. But we know that it won't be long beffore these two are up to their typical bad behaviour again :) ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
The worst part about this book is now this series is over. Where do I get my grifter/worker fix now? ( )
  lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |
Didn't like it quite as much as the others in the series, but it's still an engaging story. I enjoy the mystery and family elements in all of the books so very, very much. Definitely worth a read. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
re-reading and it was every bit as wonderful as the first time. If you love a smart-assed, slightly broken hero this book is for you. ( )
  Tip44 | Jun 30, 2020 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eisenberg, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Is contained in

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,479,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible