The Mephisto Club (2006)

by Tess Gerritsen

Series: Rizzoli & Isles (6)

Christmas Eve in Boston is no holy night for medical examiner Dr. Maura Isles. In a rundown house a woman has been dismembered in an act of carnage that leaves veteran cops in shock. The last person called from the dead girl's phone is Dr. Joyce O'Donnell, a celebrity psychiatrist who's made her name defending serial murderers. But there are other clues that make the police wonder if this slaying was part of a Satanic ritual. Drawn on the wall, in blood, are ancient symbols, and a mirror-image word in Latin that, translated, says: "I have sinned." Then a second woman is found butchered on Beacon Hill, just outside the grand residence of Anthony Sansone, a reclusive historian. He is the leader of the Mephisto Club, an old and secret society dedicated to the study of evil, and to confronting it in its purest form. On the door to Sansone's house have been scrawled yet more ancient symbols. Are they clues? Or threats? When the same symbols appear on Maura Isles' door, Maura and Jane must call on the Mephisto Club for assistance. Because this is a form of evil Boston PD has never encountered before. And the only way they can defeat it is by turning to the people who understand the devil himself.… (more)

English (69)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  All languages (74)
Synopsis: 'Boston medical examiner Maura Isles and police detective Jane Rizzoli look into the murder of 28-year-old Lori-Ann Tucker, whose body is found Christmas morning in her apartment amid an unholy mess of severed limbs, black candles and satanic symbols rendered in blood. "Peccavi," reads one word scrawled across Tucker's wall—Latin for "I have sinned." Isles and Rizzoli must sort sinner from innocent among suspects who can be found on several continents and include a group of sophisticates—scholars, an anthropologist, a psychiatrist—who are either cult members or crusaders against evil straight from the pages of Revelation. Other murders follow, all gruesome, all involving apocalyptic messages. On occasion, the action shifts to Europe, to a young woman running from a man she's convinced is descended from a race of fallen angels. Gerritsen has a knack for stretching believability just short of the breaking point—and for amassing details that produce an atmosphere in which the most terrible possibilities can and, indeed, should occur.'
Review: This was totally engaging. I'm hoping that this group of people make it into another novel in this series.
  DrLed | Aug 9, 2021 |
Another great book in the Rizzoli and Isles series. Tess Gerritsen still has it on her sixth book in. Tess is such a great writer and her plots are still fresh.

Overall I have enjoyed this series and would recommend them to anybody. ( )
  payday1999 | Dec 8, 2020 |
I do like this series. ( )
  RobertaLea | May 30, 2019 |
I was disappointed in this book as it verged into the mystical, and both main characters seemed to be missing their usual consistency and strength. The whole book reminded me of the episode of "Happy Days" where Mork was introduced prior to spinning out "Mork and Mindy". The ending just reads like it's setting up wholly different series and genre. ( )
  Spencer28 | Dec 30, 2017 |
A good Rizzoli and Isles book. It is a crime story with a touch of the supernatural. I have read about these creatures from the old testament before. It is as good a reason as any to explain why some people are so utterly evil and corrupt. It was never explained who Mr. Sansone actually was other than he was rich and had influence over government officials. Enjoyed it. ( )
1 vote scot2 | Sep 18, 2017 |
I like this book its the only book I've sat down and completed it pulls you from begining to end and dosen't let go I really enjoy this book. At first it seems like the characters do not trust each other but through out the story they learn to. I don't think that Tess Gerritsen could have done any better, if I had too I would read it all over again. I'll be looking for her next books.
added by englishclasslibrary | editThe New Yorker, Majestic .Y (May 24, 2010)

Gerritsen, Tessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
De Wit, J.J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Großmann, MechthildErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jäger, AndreasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koski, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Safavi, PhilippeTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tissoni, AdriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"And destroy all the spirits of the reprobate,

and the children of the Watchers, because

they have wronged mankind."

--The Book of EnochX:15,

ancient Jewish text, 2nd century B.C.
To Neil and Mary
They looked like the perfect family.
What, you think the Bible tells the whole story?
ISBNs 0739316192, 0739316184, 1846570778, 0739316206 and 0739353977 are abridged (condensed/shortened) audiobooks. Please do not combine with the full-length book since they are not the same work.

Christmas Eve in Boston is no holy night for medical examiner Dr Maura Isles. In a rundown house a woman has been dismembered in an act of carnage that leaves veteran cops in shock. The last person called from the dead girl's phone is Dr Joyce O'Donnell, a celebrity psychiatrist who's made her name defending serial murderers. But there are other clues that make the police wonder if this slaying was part of a Satanic ritual. Drawn on the wall, in blood, are ancient symbols, and a mirror-image word in Latin that, translated, says: "I have sinned." Then a second woman is found butchered on Beacon Hill, just outside the grand residence of Anthony Sansone, a reclusive historian. He is the leader of the Mephisto Club, an old and secret society dedicated to the study of evil, and to confronting it in its purest form. On the door to Sansone's house have been scrawled yet more ancient symbols. Are they clues? Or threats? When the same symbols appear on Maura Isles' door, Maura and Jane must call on the Mephisto Club for assistance. Because this is a form of evil Boston PD has never encountered before. And the only way they can defeat it is by turning to the people who understand the devil himself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,095,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible