Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Victory Over the Darkness: Realizing the…

Victory Over the Darkness: Realizing the Power of Your Identity in Christ (1990)

by Neil T. Anderson

1,23779,769 (4.05)None

I reviewed Neil Anderson's memoir (Long Road to Freedom) for my blog at the beginning of this year. In a couple of months I'm slated to review a book by someone else from the ministry he founded (Freedom in Christ). It made me want to dip back into the organization's foundational literature.

My first exposure to Victory over the Darkness was about twenty years ago, when it was fairly popular in the Christian publishing world. When i was in seminary, Anderson wasn't talked about much, except to offer a friendly critique of his approach. Dipping back in, I read appreciatively:

1. A focus on our identity in Christ and the freedom that, that brings.
2. A belief in sanctification (Jesus did just come to send us to heaven, but to make us holy).
3. Advice about dealing with sinful strongholds in your life and an exhortation to hold to God's purposes for us.

Of course I found stuff to disagree with, but by in large I found that Anderson articulates a helpful and compelling vision of freedom in Christ. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Aside of the Bible, this book is one of my favorite books. It was recommended to me by my fiancé's mother. I am so thankful that I read it. The book walks you through recognizing pain and areas in your life that need repair. I enjoyed the approach and will share this with friends. The book does not condemn but uplifts. IFfyou approach it with an open heart and mind, you will walk away renewed. ( )
  Natalie_Walker | Feb 13, 2015 |
not the book. this is the dvd
  pcclifegroups | Jun 17, 2014 |
Plagued by doubt, burdened by fear, held captive by worry, trudging in the darkness of depression, shackled by the shame of the past, uncertain of your true identity? Are you searching for the confirmation of who you are - wondering what it is that defines you?

Discover who you are in Christ - open the pages of this book, and study the work book. This darkness and doubt that presses on the human race can be brushed away. Christ has called each of us to a life of victory free of the burdens of the past, courageous in the battle field for our souls, strong against the forces of evil. In this book the reader is taught to find their identity in Christ. Anderson explores what God truly thinks about each of us. He uses the scripture to shed light on the dark places of bondage in the readers life and challenges readers to confront the lies of the enemy - to no longer be defined by the lies but to embrace their identity in Christ. He further instructs readers on how to use scripture to form a firm foundation on which to build and renew their lives - leading to ultimate victory over the enemy.

Thank you Gospel Light for this review Copy. ( )
  Adayriddle | May 13, 2011 |
Neil Anderson was at the forefront of a movement within the Evangelical church that began about 18 years ago emphasizing knowing your identity in Christ. It became extremely popular as a means of fighting the dark forces which impede our spiritual growth. At the heart of the thesis is a list called Who Am I--a list taken from scripture such as "I am the salt of the earth." "I am a child of God" and "I am righteous and holy." Anderson believes that if we know the truth about ouselves, truth because God in His word says so, we will then be able to work out practical aspects of maturing as a Christian. An important section later in the book deals with spiritual strongholds (addictions) that can not be overcome under our own power. He talks about the battle for the mind (temptation) and the necessity of "capturing thoughts" in the first frame of their existence in the mind rather than allowing them to grow to where they are acted upon. Lots of useful information with interesting illustrations from Anderson's years of counseling but perhaps too much emphasis put upon only one avenue of Christian maturity. ( )
1 vote seoulful | Jun 24, 2008 |
Für meine Frau Joanne, meine treue Begleiterin...
Bei meiner ersten Stelle als Pastor verbrachte ich einige Zeit damit, einem jungen Mann aus meiner Gemeinde im Glauben wachsen zu helfen.

Ten years ago a breakthrough book launched a ministry that has helped more than one million people overcome this world and win the battle for their hearts and minds. Now Neil Anderson has revised and expanded Victory over the Darkness for a new generation of readers, outlining practical and more productive ways to Christian growth based on Christ’s promise: "You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." Victory Over the Darkness emphasizes the importance of believing and internalizing the cardinal truths of Scripture as a base from which to renew the mind and fend off Satan’s relentless attempt to convince us that we are less than Christ empowers us to be.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

Victory Over the Darkness emphasizes the importance of believing and internalizing the cardinal truths of Scripture as a base from which to renew the mind and fend off Satan's relentless attempt to convince us that we are less than Christ empowers us to be. --publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,484,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible