Thinking, Fast and Slow (2011)

by Daniel Kahneman

In this work the author, a recipient of the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences for his seminal work in psychology that challenged the rational model of judgment and decision making, has brought together his many years of research and thinking in one book. He explains the two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. He exposes the extraordinary capabilities, and also the faults and biases, of fast thinking, and reveals the pervasive influence of intuitive impressions on our thoughts and behavior. He reveals where we can and cannot trust our intuitions and how we can tap into the benefits of slow thinking. He offers practical and enlightening insights into how choices are made in both our business and our personal lives, and how we can use different techniques to guard against the mental glitches that often get us into trouble. This author's work has transformed cognitive psychology and launched the new fields of behavioral economics and happiness studies. In this book, he takes us on a tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think and the way we make choices.… (more)
Recently added byvidhi31, KarinI, breea_92, private library, JohnWyatt, benjaminday, Bctiger24, mfranc, Kenny-biddle

English (204)  Dutch (6)  German (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (219)
Here's what I wrote in 2012 about this read: "Interesting and educational. A bit long, but I guess that is fast thinking. Made MGA thinking about intuition vs. analysis, and the power of the "fast" part of brain to jump to (often wrong) conclusions." ( )
  MGADMJK | Sep 6, 2023 |
This novel was a solid read but was slightly let down by its long-winded commentary on unrelated topics and the insistence that economics expects rationality from humans. Yes, I got it the first time!
It is striking how much even slightly-well-off people will argue about the irrationality of the masses and how much 'thinking' instead of 'feeling' they are - only to expose themselves as hypocrites in the next five minutes of conversation. Thinking, Fast and Slow tells us why. It is heartening to find that it's possible to improve these facets of our personality to the point where we're not dictated solely by our intuition. In good news for pedants everywhere, Kahneman concludes that it's difficult, albeit doable, to spot yourself slipping into a hasty decision - but you can ask others to check if you're doing so.
The analogy of system 1 ('gut feeling') vs system 2 (rational, but lazy) and the experiencing self vs remembering self were remarkable psychological constructions, and I could see how Kahneman got his Nobel. All in all, this is not just a read for economists and psychologists - it should be essential reading for everyone if you can get past the verbiage. ( )
  SidKhanooja | Sep 1, 2023 |
Our brains deal with the problems that confront us in daily life in two ways: the great bulk of them are handled by an associative, intuitive process that runs very fast and has a low energy cost, using a set of built-in heuristics to find the closest match to the problem we're confronted with in our memories of things that have happened before (rather like the way AI systems work, I suppose). Only when this level one system can't cope is the problem escalated to the much more costly mechanisms for rational, analytical processing of abstract ideas.

Back in 1969, the Israeli psychologist Kahneman and his late colleague Amos Tversky spotted that while this is an efficient way to deal with straightforward things like finding food and avoiding lions, it can lead us into making illogical choices when we are confronted with some of the more subtle problems of modern life. Our brains are lazy and often don't switch on the level two system until it's too late, so we can end up going with our immediate, intuitive response without thinking things through. We jump to conclusions, constructing causality where there isn't any, we don't cope well with statistical concepts (even if we are trained in their use), we underestimate the role of chance, we allow ourselves to be influenced by irrelevant factors that are there in front of us and ignore the stuff we can't see in that moment, and we are far too confident in our own opinions, amongst other things.

Kahneman's ideas — which are not universally accepted — have stirred up most dust in economics, where of course it is heresy to suggest that the choices humans make are anything other than free, rational, and selfish. He spends a lot of time on how we assess the desirability of investments, bets, insurance, and the like, and the many ways we get that wrong. But the ideas apply to all kinds of other areas as well, of course. He talks about things like the difficulty of predicting future performance in recruitment and staff reporting, or about the problems with subjective perceptions of pain and pleasure in things like clinical tests and quality-of-life studies. Kahneman doesn't go into the way people can be deliberately manipulated by triggering intuitive responses, but that's there in the background as well, naturally.

As always for a lay person reading a psychology book, there's a tendency to dismiss a large chunk of it as "just common sense" and another large part as "weird stuff that could only happen in a psychology experiment, not in the real world". But still, there's a lot that I feel it would have been useful to know earlier in my life, and maybe even to apply in practice. (Of course, at the moments when it was most relevant I was probably working with professional psychologists who did know all this stuff anyway, but they never explained it so clearly...) ( )
  thorold | Aug 25, 2023 |
An interesting book that causes you to rethink how you make decisions; gut feel for some things or more in-depth analysis for others (with the latter being mooted as the preferred approach). It was quite an academic and long repetitive read. ( )
  gianouts | Jul 5, 2023 |
The old line that true wisdom comes when you realize how little you know is brought to mind by this book which shows us that we often respond to the world using a pre-wired quick-acting, but deeply flawed system of mental function. The author, a Nobel prize laureate, describes his theory of fast and slow methods of thought, which, at first, seems to be an analytical version of the id and ego dressed up and without attribution, but as the stories are told and the experimental results accumulate, we see an extraordinary far-reaching concept that has consequences for all human activity. Included are: explanations of how con men and salesman trick us so easily, the difficulty of comprehending simple statistical concepts, one of the best explanations of regression to the mean that I have ever read, more support for efficient market theory and debunking of those who predict the future, the reason why tourists need to take pictures and a discussion of the remembering self that gave me insight into Proust, tips on hiring, the basis of intuition and much more. ( )
  markm2315 | Jul 1, 2023 |
The replication crisis in psychology does not extend to every line of inquiry, and just a portion of the work described in Thinking, Fast and Slow has been cast in shadows. Kahneman and Tversky’s own research, for example, turns out to be resilient. Large-scale efforts to recreate their classic findings have so far been successful. One bias they discovered—people’s tendency to overvalue the first piece of information that they get, in what is known as the “anchoring effect”—not only passed a replication test, but turned out to be much stronger than Kahneman and Tversky thought.

Still, entire chapters of Kahneman’s book may need to be rewritten.
added by elenchus | editSlate.com, Daniel Engber (Dec 1, 2016)

"It is an astonishingly rich book: lucid, profound, full of intellectual surprises and self-help value. It is consistently entertaining and frequently touching..."
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Jim Holt (Nov 25, 2011)

Thinking, Fast and Slow is nonetheless rife with lessons on how to overcome bias in daily life.

Kahneman, DanielAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chamorro Mielke, JoaquínTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Egan, PatrickReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eivind LilleskjæretTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gunnar NyquistTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Amos Tversky
Every author, I suppose, has in mind a setting in which readers of his or her work could benefit from having read it.
extreme outcomes (both high and low) are more likely to be found in small than in large samples. This explanation is not causal. The small population of a county neither causes nor prevents cancer; it merely allows the incidence of cancer to be much higher (or much lower) than it is in the larger population. The deeper truth is that there is nothing to explain. The incidence of cancer is not truly lower or higher than normal in a county with a small population, it just appears to be so in a particular year because of an accident of sampling. If we repeat the analysis next year, we will observe the same general pattern of extreme results in the small samples, but the counties where cancer was common last year will not necessarily have a high incidence this year. If this is the case, the differences between dense and rural counties do not really count as facts: they are what scientists call artifacts, observations that are produced entirely by some aspect of the method of research - in this case, by differences in sample size. p 111
Even now, you must exert some mental effort to see that the following two statements mean exactly the same thing: Large samples are more precise than small samples. Small samples yield extreme results more often than large samples do. p 111
When experts and the public disagree on their priorities, [Paul Slovic] says, 'Each side must respect the insights and intelligence of the other.' p 140
You can also take precautions that will inoculate you against regret. Perhaps the most useful is to b explicit about the anticipation of regret. If you can remember when things go badly that you considered the possibility of regret carefully before deciding, you are likely to experience less of it. You should also know that regret and hindsight bias will come together, so anything you can do to preclude hindsight is likely to be helpful. My personal hindsight-avoiding policy is to be either very thorough or completely casual when making a decision with long-term consequences. Hindsight is worse when you think a little, just enough to tell yourself later, 'I almost made a better choice.'     Daniel Gilbert and his colleagues provocatively claim that people generally anticipate more regret than they will actually experience, because they underestimate the efficacy of the psychological defenses they will deploy - which they label the 'psychological immune system.' Their recommendation is that you should not put too much weight on regret; even if you have some, it will hurt less than you now think.p 352
Unless there is an obvious reason to do otherwise, most of us passively accept decision problems as they are framed and therefore rarely have an opportunity to discover the extent to which our preferences are frame-bound rather than reality-bound. p 367

Le système 1 est rapide , intuitif et émotionel ;le système 2 est plus lent , plus réfléchi , plus controléet plus logique .Fruit d toute une vie de recherche ''Système 1/Système 2" dessine une théorie brillante ,qui offer des prolongements pratiques immédiats dans la vie quotidienne et professionnelle.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 194,856,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible