Abe Lincoln at Last! by Mary Pope Osborne

Abe Lincoln at Last!

by Mary Pope Osborne

Other authors: Sal Murdocca (Illustrator)

Series: Magic Tree House (47), Merlin Missions (19)

The magic tree house whisks Jack and Annie to Washington D.C. in the 1860s where they meet Abraham Lincoln and collect a feather that will help break a magic spell.

In this book in the Treehouse series the kids go back in time to get a feather from Abe Lincoln. When they are unable to get a meeting with him they use the last of the wish potion and end up going further back in time and are in the middle of the woods them end up meeting a boy named Sam who doesn't have his dad or sister home, they decide to help him with his chores. Later they end up on the front lawn of the White House as Lincoln walks by because he was the boy Sam they helped so he helps them and they give him hope for mending the nation.
This would be a good lesson for teaching that helping people is good.
  LeanneWorth | Dec 7, 2017 |
This would be a good read aloud for a 2nd grade class since it is technically a chapter book and may seem intimidating as an individual read. This book is good because it teaches about history but it also includes a clear problem and solution throughout the story. It would be a good book to use to teach how problems arise and have the students come up with possible solutions on their own based on textual clues. This would be a good individual book for a 3rd grade since it is a beginning chapter book that allows the student to feel accomplished for reading on their own. This would be a good book for a student to use for a lesson on presidents and the U.S history and government since Abe Lincoln and the characters provide good examples of how to solve the nations problems.
  LizaTibbs | Mar 13, 2017 |
I would use this book for a 3rd or 4th grade classroom. I would use it as a read aloud and whole class activity. I would use this story embedded in social studies instruction. I would use it during a President's unit, or for a lesson on the Civil War. It's a student friendly approach to more complex situations. I would also do a lot with the vocabulary within the story. There's content specific vocabulary the students could get familiarized with. I would have them formulate their own definition based on prior knowledge, or context clues. At the end of the unit, I would have students write a letter thanking Abraham Lincoln for what he's done. I would have students refer to the text for details, and add other details that we learned in class. ( )
  ewhite06 | Apr 14, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this book because it was entertaining and educational. I really liked how the author created its characters. Abraham Lincoln was very well developed and believable. In addition, I liked how this book was written. The author used historical facts that were correct such as the events that happened during Lincoln's presidency. I also thought it was a great that the author made it age appropriate for children to read. It was simple and engaging for young readers. Lastly, I liked how the author provided pictures on several pages. For example, on page 10 and 11, a picture of the white house is shown. By doing this, the reader is able to get a better understanding of the setting of the story. Overall, the idea of this book is to take readers on a journey to the past of when Abraham Lincoln was President of the United States. ( )
  Emoy1 | Mar 19, 2016 |
There is one reason why I liked this book in particular. The reason why I liked this book was because of the writing. The writing in the story was written specifically for children and the author wrote with that in mind. The author wrote about events that happened during Lincoln's presidency but made them age appropriate for children. An example of this is when Osborne writes "When Abraham Lincoln became president in 1861, the White House was considered to belong to all the citizens of the country, as well as to the president of and his family. Anyone could walk right in." This informs young readers of how different it was in government then, compared to now. The president is now protected by the Secret Service and you are no longer able to go right in. The story's theme's meaningful and the setting is accurate for this time period. The characters speak in a way that is authentic for the time period. The main idea of the text is to inform readers of how important Lincoln was to this nation and his many accomplishments. ( )
  BrittanyNelson94 | Nov 27, 2015 |

Mary Pope Osborneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Murdocca, SalIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Not often in the story of mankind does a man arrive on earth who is both steel and velvet, who is hard as rock and soft as drifting fog...
--Carl Sandburg
For Mary Sams
Prolgoue: One summer day in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, a mysterious tree house appeared in the woods.
Annie peeked into Jack's room.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,291,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible