The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life

by Robin Zasio

1919114,368 (3.81)13
"The once little known condition of hoarding has become a household phrase-- in part due to the popularity of the Emmy Award-- winning television show Hoarders, which has captivated audiences with its stark and heartbreaking look at the people who suffer from this paralyzing condition. Our fascination with hoarding stems, according to Dr. Robin Zasio, from the fact that we all fall somewhere on the hoarding continuum. From compulsive shoppers to hobbyists and collectors to ordinary, run-of-the-mill pack rats-- to some degree or another, we all hoard. Dr. Zasio shares behind-the-scenes stories from the show, including some of the most serious cases of hoarding that she has encountered-- and explains how we can learn from these extreme examples. She also shares psychological and practical advice for de-cluttering and organizing, including how to: tame the emotional pull of acquiring additional things-- make order out of chaos by getting a handle on clutter -create an organizational system that reduces stress and anxiety"--"From the hit A&E show Hoarders, psychologist Dr. Robin Zasio shows readers how to take control of their stuff and de-clutter their lives. The once little-known condition of hoarding has become a household phrase-- in part due to the popularity of the Emmy Award-winning television show Hoarders, which has captivated audiences with its stark and heartbreaking look at the people who suffer from this paralyzing condition. Our fascination with hoarding stems, according to Dr. Robin Zasio, from the fact that we all fall somewhere on the hoarding continuum. From compulsive shoppers to hobbyists and collectors to ordinary, run-of-the-mill pack rats-- to some degree or another, we all hoard. Dr. Zasio shares behind-the-scenes stories from the show, including some of the most serious cases of hoarding that she's encountered-- and explains how we can learn from these extreme examples. She also shares psychological and practical advice for de-cluttering and organizing, including how to: l tame the emotional pull of acquiring additional things l make order out of chaos by getting a handle on clutter l create an organizational system that reduces stress and anxiety"--… (more)

I decided I could read more if I tried audiobooks and this one was terrific! I learned a lot that I have already successfully applied. Hey, by the way, glad to discover I am not a hoarder but a book “collector” ( )
  joyfulmimi | Oct 18, 2018 |
Interesting. Nothing I didn't know and nothing I can really use since I'm neither a hoarder, not a collector, but interesting nonetheless. ( )
  benuathanasia | Aug 10, 2018 |
Every book on hoarding that I pick up seems to start with defining hoarding. Don't enough books have that already? Then again, the mental disorder is relatively new, so perhaps each book needs to define where they are coming from.

This book covers how to view hoarding, and even cluttered behavior, in an interesting manner. This author firmly designates hoarding as an anxiety disorder and discusses it as a need to shift thoughts. She offers an extended discussion of Cognitive Distortion with regard to cluttering and hoarding, especially when compared with normal habits.

Yes, hoarding is a spectrum, like all of humanity is a spectrum. We are not neat little boxes to be shoved in. So agree with that.

I like that she's breaking down clutter-keeper and hoarder. I also like that she presents a spectrum for both clutterers and hoarders.

This book is chock full of information, though a little dry in its presentation. People who watch the show Hoarders on A&E will know the author well. The text made me willing to explore more of her works. ( )
  gilroy | Dec 21, 2017 |
I really appreciated Robin Zasio's direct yet compassionate approach to hoarding. I have seen her on the TV series Hoarders, and admit it's one reason I chose her book. However, I also love the subtitle: How to live a happier, healthier, uncluttered life. That is something I would like to achieve.

Zasio introduces hoarding as being on a spectrum, with many of us having some hoarding tendencies. I am not a hoarder per se, but Zasio encourages us to recognize areas in our life that we should deal with.

This is not a book focusing on organizing, but rather why we hoard and how to face our desire to hold onto things or to collect things. For me, her suggestions on how to deal with clutter resonate and make sense in a way that other books I've read on organization don't. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 15, 2017 |
Enlightening discussion of everything from mild clutter to full-blown hoarding. Be warned, though: it's like researching on WebMD.com -- you'll be biting your nails thinking about the state of your closets and that junk drawer in the kitchen, wondering if these are the early signs of a serious problem. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |

Zasio, Robinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,912,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible