Of Courage Undaunted: Across the Continent…

Of Courage Undaunted: Across the Continent with Lewis and Clark

by James Daugherty

Well, I just read the first third and last few pp of Daugherty's 1951 attempt to share his perspective of the Lewis & Clark expedition with children. I admit, it's not nearly as dense and dry as the other Newbery patriotic titles. And it's not devastatingly racist or otherwise disturbing. But there is enough Noble Savage and Destiny, etc., to make me unwilling to read any more, or to recommend it, or to seek out Daugherty's Daniel Boone.

I'm very glad there are other stories re' L&C for children available now. For example, we particularly loved [b:Lewis and Clark and Me: A Dog's Tale|261345|Lewis and Clark and Me A Dog's Tale|Laurie Myers|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388180036s/261345.jpg|253313] by [a:Laurie Myers|152763|Laurie Myers|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1374683822p2/152763.jpg]. (Oddly, though, in that book the Newfoundland is known as Seaman, but Daugherty calls him Scannon.... - ?) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is a really good book! I was taught many things abut Lewis and Clark that I didn't know. Really, really, REALLY great stuff! :) ( )
  tonya29 | Oct 7, 2012 |
Good recounting of Lewis and Clark for a younger audience. ( )
1 vote BrynDahlquis | Aug 17, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670520489, Hardcover)

Originally published in 1951, Newbery and Caldecott Medal winner James Daugherty has applied his literary and artistic skill to bringing to life the remarkable expedition of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark on their 3555-mile trek from St. Louis to the Pacific Ocean. Taken largely from original accounts of the expedition, Daugherty has written in his simple, forceful, and lyrical way to evoke the drama and pathos of what was one of American's most daring journeys of discovery. Commissioned in 1803 by President Thomas Jefferson to explore and open up this vast territory, Lewis and Clark felt it was the realization of a lifelong dream. Against the hardships of the wilderness, possible attack by hostile Indians, sudden blizzards and terrifying natural obstacles, these two men led a Corps of Discovery ably and nobly to complete their mission. Their Corps included American Indians from the Sioux, Mandan, Shoshone, Clatsop and Chopunnish tribes as well as one black slave named York. Sacajawea—the only woman on the trip—was a Shoshone who contributed invaluable service as interpreter and guide. Daugherty's evocative sepia and black ink illustrations depict individuals of humor, vitality, passion, and strength. 168pg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:03 -0400)

An account of the resourcefulness and courage of Lewis and Clark on their journey through the wilderness from St. Louis to the Pacific. Written from original records and diaries of the expedition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,871,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible