A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan

A Bridge Too Far

by Cornelius Ryan

English (18)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (20)
This is about Project Market Garden, a battle during WWII in Holland where the Allies were meant to capture some bridges. It didn’t happen.

I feel terrible rating this so low. The only other book I’ve read by this author, I rated 5 stars and have recommended it multiple times (his book on D-Day). I am blaming this on the audio. I think it’s tough subject matter for audio, anyway, so I probably shouldn’t have tried it in this format, but I did. Unfortunately, I found the narrator very monotone, so to be honest, I just missed the majority of what was going on. It didn’t hold my attention, so I wasn’t paying attention. I do not like rating this so low, but given how much of it I “missed”, I just can’t give it a higher rating. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 14, 2018 |
A Bridge Too Far tells the story of Operation Market Garden, an Allied military operation following the D-Day invasions. The goal was to take a series of bridges that would allow the Allies to invade Germany. The title comes from an unconfirmed comment, attributed to Lieutenant-General Frederick Browning, to Monty: “I think we may be going a bridge too far.” The operation was only partly successful and the Allies lost a lot of men. The story of this operation was dramatized in the 1977 film A Bridge Too Far, which is the reason I read the book.

This is a big book and not to be taken lightly. It does contain interesting anecdotes and some good photos, but it is just crammed with details, and if you’re not in the right mood for it or you don’t have a plan to tackle it, it will be a difficult read. So it is for me. I started reading it in June 2018 but had stopped seriously reading it sometime in August (after I found a hilarious anecdote about gliders). If you’re looking for the basics, the film, adapted from this book by William Goldman, would probably suffice. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Oct 7, 2018 |
Cornelius Ryan's A Bridge Too Far gives an account of Operation Market Garden, a failed Allied attempt to break through German lines at Arnhem in the occupied Netherlands during World War II...chronicle of the Battle of Arnhem, which marshalled the greatest armada of troop-carrying aircraft ever assembled and cost the Allies nearly twice as many casualties as D-Day.

In this compelling work of history, Ryan narrates the Allied effort to end the war in Europe in 1944 by dropping the combined airborne forces of the American and British armies behind German lines to capture the crucial bridge across the Rhine at Arnhem. Focusing on a vast cast of characters -- from Dutch civilians to British and American strategists to common soldiers and commanders -- Ryan brings to life one of the most daring and ill-fated operations of the war. A Bridge Too Far superbly recreates the terror and suspense, the heroism and tragedy of this epic operation, which ended in bitter defeat for the Allies.
1 vote MasseyLibrary | Mar 15, 2018 |
I thought this book was magnificent. I was originally thrown off by the details of the civilians involved in the battle. Just wanted the military action. After a while, i began to like it a bit more. Mr Ryan does a good job covering the campaign from the squad level to theater level, and I really like the stories of the common soldier. ( )
1 vote delta351 | Aug 24, 2016 |
I honestly liked this a little more than I thought I would. It was unique and interested and kept me on the edge of my seat over 75% of the book. Thanks for Challenge sites who push me outside of my comfort zone and let me find new genres and books that excite me! ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
In the thousand-year-old Dutch village of Driel, people listened intently.
Out of ammunition. God Save the King.
Vertaling van : A Bridge too far.

THE CLASSIC ACCOUNT OF ONE OF THE MOST DRAMATIC BATTLES OF WORLD WAR II

A Bridge Too Far is Cornelius Ryan's masterly chronicle of the Battle of Arnhem, which marshalled the greatest armada of troop-carrying aircraft ever assembled and cost the Allies nearly twice as many casualties as D-Day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:00 -0400)

Here is Cornelius Ryan's masterly chronicle of the greatest armada of troop-carrying aircraft ever assembled for a single battle -- culminating in the most grandiose and devastatingly tragic struggle of World War II. Now in a new edition for the 50th anniversary of VE Day, A Bridge Too Far tells the classic story of the battle of Arnhem, one of the most dramatic battles of World War II, which cost the Allies nearly twice as many casualties as D-Day. In this compelling work of history, Cornelius Ryan narrates the Allied effort to end the war in 1944 by dropping the combined airborne forces of the American and British armies behind German lines to capture the crucial bridge across the Rhine at Arnhem. Focusing on a vast cast of characters, from Dutch civilians to British and American strategists, to common soldiers and commanders, Ryan brings to life one of the most daring and ill-fated operations of the war. A Bridge Too Far superbly recreates the terror and suspense, the heroism and the tragedy of this epic operation, which marshalled some of the greatest resources of the war yet ended in bitter defeat.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,434,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible