A Girl from Yamhill by Beverly Cleary

A Girl from Yamhill (1988)

by Beverly Cleary

3.7

In theory and in general it was good (and fascinating) but I think if she had continued on for at least another decade I think I would have enjoyed it more. Also, sometimes it was a bit boring -- but only if I think of it as a novel. It is not a novel. It is a collection of real memories from someone who actually lived a century ago. When you ponder on that for a minute this is quite invaluable. Perhaps I need more experience with memoirs, because I'm just used reading to textbooks and novels . Mixed feelings but I am glad I got to read about her life. I want to revisit Ramona now (after probably a decade!)

Also I find it hilarious that in her high school grammar book the phrases "nowhere near" and
"this here" were considered improper. I pride myself on knowing proper grammar and I say those all the time xD. ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
I was a bit dissapointed as I was hoping for a bit more...into her later years. However, I did discover that there is a second book. Mainly curiosity as she was born in the town a stones throw from me and raised in Portland, Oregon. AND of course I read her childrens stories as my children have also. As to whether or not to read the second memoir....I might. ( )
  gma2lana | May 9, 2016 |
This book was very well-written, with vivid descriptions and language both child and adult can enjoy. A lot of Cleary's childhood is inspiration for her books, and it always made me smile when I read a bit that had been adapted into one of her stories. Cleary grew up during the depression, and this book covers that time until she leaves for college (where her next book picks up). For addressing a sometimes-difficult childhood, the book lacked emotion, which might be because of the distance from her childhood, or because she's learned to let a lot of hurt feelings go. A must-read for any Cleary fan, as well as those who have an interest in the Depression era. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I read this back in 1990 as part of a school project on Beverly Cleary, who I hadn't realised until then, was one of my favourite childhood authors. If anyone had ever asked me who my favourite authors were I would have replied with Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl, but in fact Cleary's books were influential. This book had just been released back then, and must have made an impression, because I still remember it. ( )
  LynleyS | May 28, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book but I didn't love it. I found the earlier portions of Cleary's life far more interesting (and easier to read about) than her late teens. There is a lot of weirdness around her relationship with her mother, and it didn't feel like she really explained it very well. I wonder if it's because her books are loved by so many kids, maybe she worried about writing too much discomfiting stuff about her mom. I walked away from this book wanting either more or less, I don't know for sure which.
3 vote satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Mother and I stand on the weathered and warped back steps looking up at my father, who sits, tall and handsome in work clothes, astride a chestnut horse.

Generations of children have grown up with Henry Huggins, Ramona Quimby, and all of their friends, families, and assorted pets. For everyone who has enjoyed the pranks and schemes, embarrassing moments, and all of the other poignant and colorful images of childhood brought to life in Beverly Cleary books, here is the fascinating true story of the remarkable woman who created them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:33 -0400)

Follows the popular children's author from her childhood years in Oregon through high school and into young adulthood, highlighting her family life and her growing interest in writing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,375,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible