Shadow Game by Christine Feehan

Shadow Game

by Christine Feehan

Series: Ghostwalkers (Book 1)

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
This was the first Romance novel I ever read, and it got me hooked on Paranormal Romance for life. It really got me started on wanting to become a novelist and to be able to make readers feel the way I felt when I would get lost in the pages of this book for hours on end. Feehan is an excellent author with great attention to detail and a unique story that keeps readers intrigued. I would absolutely pass this book on to a friend and can only hope to write something this attention grabbing for my readers in the future. ( )
  alaynatodd | May 15, 2016 |
When the heroine is asked by her father for her expertise on his project, she is proud to think he values her opinion. Loving her father and loving up to him career wise doesn't change the fact that he is emotionally distant at best and totally forgetful and absent at most. She's invited deep into the secret world of genetically engineered soldiers and in that facility she meets the hero. He isn't what the world would consider hansom yet from the very second she locked eyes with him she felt connected to the man in the cage. He touches her mind with his, they speak secretly under the noses of her father and the guard and though she tries to remain detached he can feel every single one of her emotions good and bad and has locked his target on her. The hero, responsible for why he and his team have been experimented on, tortured and imprisoned for years, feels guilty and wil do anything to escape. He sees the beautiful yet vulnerable woman for who she is and knows she's met to be his. Though he feels hatred towards her father, he grieves for her while she grieves the old man's death. He wasn't perfect as a father yet she still loved him and his death shatters her world. But it's only after his death that she begins to learn the truth regarding the man she thought of as her father. He was an evil man. He experimented on children, herself included-trying to push her abilities and mold her into a soldier. He tortured the hero and his men, playing with their brain until some lost themselves to insanity or their brains just shut down with the strain. The heroine is torn between the love she felt for a man she barely knew and the realization of just how hated her was. Throughout the journey to discover who murdered him, she has the hero to be her rock. Breaking out of their prison and hiding in her house, the heroine and hero explore this strange yet all consuming desire to be with each other. Both possess heightened abilities and the heroine fears that anything between them is only cold science not love but the hero knows that their connection runs deep in his very soul and that what he feels for her is real and true. Once again I found myself struggling to connect to the characters and their personalities though I'd rate this higher than the other books I've read. I think it's the writing style that puts me off. The long dramatic dialogue, the over the top desire and craving from the hero and the repetition of conversations make it a hardship to remain lost in the story. I found myself skipping pages knowing that I won't be missing anything. That being said the story wasn't a complete write off. There were some pleasant moments between the main characters that I adored and the action scenes were exciting and a bit of a lifter upper for the book. I can say that I enjoyed the light hearted conversations the characters had here and there which showed that this author does know how to write it just that I wish there was more to it you know? I never truly feel like the hero and heroine really get to know each other and fall in love- rather their romance just seems to happen. Overall, I thought this book was alright. I liked the fact that the villain Whitney is portrayed as a man who could possible have some good in him-something shown to be false in the books to follow. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
Not my style of writing, maybe? Way more romance novel (like what I always pictured trashy romance novels to be like, but I haven't read them) feel to it than I expected. I liked the characters and the concept -- but it just wasn't believable to me (believable in the world of paranormal fiction), and I felt myself forced to keep reading just to finish. I'm confused about all the 5-star ratings.... ( )
  emblue | Jan 3, 2016 |
Love the cover of this edition but when I opened it up to the first page, my heart dropped. The small font combined with almost non-existent line spacing made this reader-unfriendly. The words looked like they'd been desperately crammed on to the page and though environmentally friendly, using fewer pages, it's not something I'd expect from well-established publishers. It made this book seem almost never-ending considering the total number of pages.

Anyway, on to the actual story. This one was "love at first sight" and not the normal kind either, this was insta-love. I swear, if Lily's father and associates hadn't been in the room when Lily and Ryland met, they'd have been trying to get busy through the bars of his cell. No getting to know one another, no slow build up, just bang instant life-long partners.

Despite this unusual lack of romance considering the genre, the science behind these Ghostwalkers was intriguing and perhaps may even explain why there was no courting period: apparently it's possible Lily's father scientifically-engineered the incredibly strong attraction between his daughter and the Captain. Kind of scary to have no choice in the matter, huh?

That's the kind of man her father is, or was. The things he did in the name of his research, his selfish curiosity, were terrifying. He gave no thought to morals or ethics. That's not to say he did these things to be malicious, to take pleasure in others' pain, he only cared about results. If he had to bully a child, cause her pain, to get what he needed, it didn't matter to him. This made him by far the most interesting character and to see his past revealed to Lily, who was horrified but continued to love him in spite of his inhumane deeds.

I'll be continuing the series but hopefully we'll see more romance in the next one. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This series has been hit or miss for me. The first book I barely finished. The female lead was not endearing, in fact she got on my nerves. Pretty much the entire series she annoys me. So, if you find that you do not like this book try the second one before you give up. ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |

Christine Feehanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gnade, UrsulaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tissoni, A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The GhostWalker Creed

We are the GhostWalkers, we live in the shadows
The sea, the earth, and the air are our domain
No fallen comrade will be left behind
We are loyalty and honor bound
We are invisible to our enemies
and we destroy them where we find them
We believe in justice and we protect our country
and those unable to protect themselves
What goes unseen, unheard, and unknown
are GhostWalkers
There is honor in the shadows and it is us
We move in complete silence whether
in jungle or desert
We walk among our enemy unseen and unheard
Striking without sound and scatter to the winds
before they have knowledge of our existence
We gather information and wait with endless patience
for that perfect moment to deliver swift justice
We are both merciful and merciless
We are relentless and implacable in our resolve
We are the GhostWalkers and the night is ours
For my brother, Matthew King, many thanks for all
the help with the research necessary for this book.
And for McKenzie King, for her dynamite smile and
her help in turning those book covers in the proper
direction!

Special thanks to Cheryl Wilson. I have no idea what
I'd do without you.
Captain Ryland Miller leaned his head against the wall and closed his eyes in utter weariness.

The classified experiment is the brainchild of renowned scientist Peter Whitney and his brilliant daughter, Lily. Created to enhance the psychic abilities of an elite squadron, it can transform their natural mental powers into a unique military weapon. But something goes wrong. In the isolated underground labs, the men have been dying-victims of bizarre accidents. Captain Ryland Miller knows he is next. When Dr. Whitney himself is murdered, Ryland has only one person left to trust: the beautiful Lily. Possessed of an uncanny sixth sense herself, Lily shares Ryland's every new fear, every betrayal, every growing suspicion, and every passionate beat of the heart. Together, they will be drawn deeper into the labyrinth of her father's past…and closer to a secret that someone would kill to keep hidden.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515135968, Mass Market Paperback)

A man and woman possessed of telekinetic powers. She is the doctor. He is the experiment. What comes between them is a terrifying secret history that could save them or destroy them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:47 -0400)

When Dr. Peter Whitney's top-secret experiment that enhances psychic abilities goes terribly wrong, resulting in a rash of brutal murders, his daughter Lily and Captain Ryland Miller, both of whom possess telekinetic powers, must join forces to stop a twisted madman bent on their destruction.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,923,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible