The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules

by Julie Kagawa

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city, until she too becomes an immortal vampire. Forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls, she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend -- a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.… (more)

Whoa. I'm starting out with the last word that escaped my mouth as I read the end of The Immortal Rules. I was so blown away by the entire package that Julie Kagawa presented, that I couldn't even form a coherent thought upon finishing. Let's be honest, I'm a vampire lover. Always have been, always will be. Allison's story hooked me instantly. The gritty, dystopian and vampire-run world that she introduced me to felt so real. I didn't read this book, I devoured it.

Allison Sekemoto is, in a word, fierce. Living in a world where she must fight to survive, Allison isn't afraid to stand up for herself. I fell in love with her sarcasm and wit. Even before she is turned you quickly find out that this is not a girl that you want to mess with. What really drew me in though was Allison's constant internal battle over becoming a vampire. She chooses her path willingly, and yet refuses to fall headfirst into the world that she hated so blatantly beforehand. Watching Allison fight her inner demons is fascinating, and it makes her that much more likable.

In case you are worrying about the rest of the characters though, I can assure you that they are all just as vivid and well fleshed out as Allison! This I loved. Hands down, Kanin was my favorite. I won't spoil at all, but let's just say that I was eager for more of him. I know that this is the first in the series, and his time is coming. Coming in a close second was Zeke, who becomes a very important part of Allison's existence. This is a boy who totally stole my heart. It's hard not to fall for the chemistry between these two. However it was also so refreshing to see that Allison could keep her own identity at the same time. Thank you so much Julie Kagawa for giving us a girl who can be in love, but still take care of herself!

I could honestly go on for pages about how much I truly enjoyed this book. The Immortal Rules just proves to me that Julie Kagawa can write anything she sets her mind to. Her storytelling is fantastic. Her characters are vivid and wonderful. Even the setting comes to life on its own. I cannot say enough about how amazing it all is. This book is over 400 pages, but it is an effortless read. The story blends into such seamless chapters that you'll find yourself having read well past where you meant to stop. Long story short, I am putting this book on my favorites list for the year! Definitely give this one a read. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
This book is about a girl who live-in a world of vampires. She lives in the outskirts of a vampire city. Her name is Allison Sekemoto. She hates the vampires and every thing about them. One day her and her friends get ambushed by crazy vampires. A master vampire finds her right before she dies. He says either chose to become a vampire or choose to die.

Allison chose to become a vampire. Kanin, the master vampire who Turned her, thought her how to be a vampire. Soon her and Kanin have to leave the city. They get separated and Allie has to travel on her own. She runs into a group of humans. She takes a risk and decides to travel with them. She falls and love with a boy named Zeke.

She doesn't want to hurt hm though. When Zeke finds out that Allie is a vampire he tries to hate her but can't.The group she is with is trying to find a town the heated of called Eden. Supposedly Eden has no vampires in the town. On the way to Eden, the group runs into a city called Old Chicago. Not all of the members make it out alive, but the group keeps traveling to Eden.

I thought this book was AMAZING. I really like vampires. I also like adventures so this book was perfect for me.I think Allie hating vampires and then becoming one makes the book interesting. Also her trying t travel with a group of humans AND trying not to let them know she is a vampire.I loved all of the twists and turns in this book. This was one of the best books i have ever read. ( )
  CarmenG.B2 | Jan 26, 2019 |
AMAZING BOOK. There is no other way to say it.
not only is this a Vampire book, but it's a vampire book unlike any I have ever read before, because it is a vampire story within a dystopia. Yeah, that's awesome.
And, call me crazy, but the first major act in the book, when Allie 'died' made her character believable to me. You see, most people have these convictions and walk around preaching them and feeling so strongly about them. You probably do that. You prbably don't say you'd die for these convictions, but on the off chance that you do, what if you were actually faced with a situation, and life-or-death situation, and if you let those convictions crumble, you'd live? It's a sad thing to say, a hard thing to admit, but you know, I'd live. Allie did the same thing. faced with death, her convictions crumbled and she lived. This made her believable because we all know of those people who DIDN'T let their convictions crumble, and seem larger than life, like they're not real people. A couple examples are Socrates and Joan of Arc.
yeah, those people? Our main character, Allie, isn't one of them.
And surprisingly, it was only after becoming a vampire that she became more human, if your definition of human involves the word 'caring'. mine does.
Stick made me do this: D':
Zeke made me do this: Overall, an amazing book, and I can't wait for the next one.
Oh, and, Julie Kagawa has impressed me so much with only the first books in both her series (I have only read The Iron King and The Immortal Rules. I am going to read the other Iron Fey, but haven't gotten ahold of them from the library yet) But, I have been so impressed with those two that I've read, she now resides among MY FAVORITE AUTHORS. You'd think that wouldn't be a hard club to get in, considering how I rate books, but it's actually pretty Exclusive. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
“You are a monster.” Kanin’s deep voice droned in my head again, as I forced myself to move, to walk away. “You will always be a monster, there is no turning back from it. But what type of monster you become is entirely up to you.”

Una ventata di novità per quei poveri vampiri che da qualche anno a questa parte vengono brutalmente bistrattati.

In tutta sincerità ero partita prevenuta, innanzitutto perché avevo già letto un libro di questa autrice e non mi aveva garbato molto, ma anche perché ero scettica verso l'unione dei vampiri con il genere sci-fi. Ad ogni modo ho dovuto ricredermi, perché da questo punto di vista è stato fatto un ottimo lavoro: i vampiri hanno mantenuto per la maggior parte le loro caratteristiche tradizionali (niente sbrilluccichii strani o cose del genere) ma l'ambientazione è caratteristica della distopia e situata dopo il dilagare di un pericolosissimo virus.
Non posso certo affermare di averlo amato alle follia, ma le idee di base sono buone; inoltre il fatto stesso che Allison, la protagonista, si trovi sempre al confine tra l'essere un'umana e un demone rappresenta sicuramente un elemento positivo da aggiungersi alla visibile evoluzione psicologica del personaggio.
Lo stile è fluido e immediato, ed equilibra azioni, pensieri e descrizioni. L'amore è ovviamente presente, ma non siamo alle prese con una delle solite storielle sdolcinate da diabete, bensì con qualcosa di molto più complesso e oscuro.
Potrei quasi affermare che il vero pilastro di tutto il libro sia la fiducia, o la sua mancanza. Fiducia verso chi ha saputo prendere in mano le redini durante un momento difficile, sfiducia verso il diverso e lo sconosciuto.
  Shay17 | Mar 30, 2018 |
So, at first I was nervous. Like really nervous. Dystopia and vampires? Done and done and done until the point it almost should never be done again. It took a bit to get into it, mostly because the start is a lot of "Oh, I hate the vampires" and "However will we survive?". But then, the little group gets trapped in the ruins and its all uphill in the story from there. Or, well, downhill if you're Lucas or Rat. Stick goes missing and Allie gets attacked and then, suddenly, there is Kanin, my favorite character. The morally good, former blood traitor, mad scientist, secretive, human loving, compassionate vampire. He leads and teaches Allie best he can until they are separated, at which point I literally screamed at my Kindle. And he is the one that makes Allie who she is, teaching her that she is a monster and there is no way to change it, but that ultimately, "what type of monster you become is entirely up to you". ( )
  Jessinikkip | Mar 18, 2018 |
To Nick, who will always slay vampires with me.
They hung the Unregistereds in the old warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,541,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible