Fox Tails: Four Fables from Aesop

by Amy Lowry

Four of Aesop's fables are combined in this tale about three animal friends who outsmart a tricky fox.
    Anno's Aesop: A Book of Fables by Aesop and Mr. Fox by Mitsumasa Anno (AbigailAdams26)
    AbigailAdams26: Both of these books take multiple Aesopian fables featuring foxes and weave them into one enjoyable story.
    Tales of a Long Afternoon by Max Bolliger (AbigailAdams26)
    AbigailAdams26: If you enjoyed this story that takes various Aesopian fables and works them into one tale, you might enjoy another book in a similar vein.

Author / illustrator Amy Lowry weaves together four famous Aesopian fables concerning the fox in this entertaining picture book, following that vulpine character through a day of misdeeds. Waking up hungry, the fox seeks the grapes at the bottom of his lane, but finds that he cannot obtain them as they are too high off the ground, concluding that they must be sour and that he does not want them after all. Proceeding along, he tricks a crow out of her cheese using flattery, and tricks a goat into jumping into a well, in order to extricate himself from that same predicament. He finishes his day at a dinner given by the stork, this time finding himself tricked, when his avian host, determined to be revenged upon him for a similar trick, serves the food in such a way that he cannot eat it...

Being familiar with all four of the fables—The Fox and the Grapes, The Fox and the Crow, The Fox and the Goat, and The Fox and the Stork—used in Fox Tails: Four Fables from Aesop, I was curious to see how Lowry would string them all together, in order to form one cohesive narrative. On the whole I think she succeeded very nicely, and I found the story here amusing. The fox is always wily, but only sometimes the victor, which is as it should be. The artwork, done in gouache and pencil, has definite appeal, although I think I appreciated the use of color and general composition more than the depiction of specific animals. Somehow, our vulpine hero seemed a little too portly to me, and I'm not sure how I felt about his sweater. I have read quite a few Aesopian retellings at this point, both of individual tales and in collections, and I always enjoy them. But stories such as this, which use various fables together, in order to tell a larger story, are somewhat less common (although no less enjoyable). I would recommend this one to young fox lovers and to those seeking creative Aesopian retellings, and would recommend the following titles in this same vein: Anno's Aesop: A Book of Fables by Aesop and Mr. Fox by Mitsumasa Anno and Tales of a Long Afternoon by Max Bolliger. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | May 4, 2024 |
This story is about a fox who tricks three different animals in order to get what he wants. First, he is unable to have grapes, then he uses flattery in order to get the crow to drop his food, then he convinces a goat to jump in a well in order to use the goat to climb out of the well, later we find out that before he played tricks on the crow and the goat, he had tricked the stork out of eating some of the soup he had made. It ends by the three animals tricking the fox by outsmarting him last.
  mapeck129 | Dec 2, 2017 |
This is the story of a trickster fox. The fox flatters a crow in oder to steal her food and leaves a goat trapped in a well when he tricks her into helping him out. The crow and Goat get revenge on the Fox with the help of a stork who is also upset with the fox. That night at dinner the fox learns that you should be careful who you trick.
  klamproe | Dec 2, 2017 |
I liked this story and found it was a fun way to share some of Aesop's fables with my children. It was easy to follow and understand. The simplicity of the story and the illustrations made it easy to discuss the morals of the stories with my children.
  jschuttenhelm | Oct 3, 2017 |
An easy way to introduce fables to an early elementary classroom. Many of these tales are familiar and it gives a chance to see how a creative author can use many ideas to weave a story.
  SmuckersLewis | Oct 9, 2016 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,875,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible